Time between fills

I am recently a bandster but haven't had my first fill. I know they say to get a fill 6-8 weeks post op. How long before you get the 2nd fill and 3rd? Dr. Ortiz said he could almost guarantee 3 fills if it were done at he OCC. Also, the things I have read stated that you typically lose more weight after your 2nd fill. Does anyone find this to be true?

Hello,

Well, I just had my first fill about 4 hours ago. As of now, I am sitting at the Lucerna Motel, wishing I did not have to do the liquid diet....oh well. The good doctor told me that 6 to 8 weeks after surgery is about normal for the first fill. It has been about 8 weeks for me. He then went on to say that the most important reason for coming back to OCC for the first fill is so they can see that the band is in place and is working properly. I received 4cc after the doctor tried other amounts. He tried from 3cc to 6cc but we both agreed that 4cc would be good for me at this time.

As far as the second fill...the doctor told me that IF a patient wants and needs the second fill it is usually done approximately 2 to 3 months after the first fill. He did inform me that some people want to get as much as they can as soon as they can. Some don't really know what the right amount is and this is where the doctor comes in to help decide on what is best for the patient. He said that fills depend on what the patient needs. From what I gathered, there is no real set time for a fill after your first one.

On your first fill, have a bunch of questions written down to ask. He is very willing to answer any and all questions you may have. Right now I am going to chill tonight..then go shopping and find something wonderful to eat tomorrow. With permission from the doctor that is.

So...good luck, be sure to ask numerous questions and you will then see what works best for you.

Good Luck!

I am recently a bandster but haven't had my first fill. I know they say to get a fill 6-8 weeks post op. How long before you get the 2nd fill and 3rd? Dr. Ortiz said he could almost guarantee 3 fills if it were done at he OCC. Also, the things I have read stated that you typically lose more weight after your 2nd fill. Does anyone find this to be true?

Hi - I think as a general guidline "they" can say your second fill at 2-3 months. EVERYONE is so different. I aggressively chased my sweet spot. You can see in my signature the times and dates I went in for fills. It was monthly for a while. There are people who don't need fills, who hold off for as long as they can and others like me....who get to there sweet spot quickly.

What is most important is to do what is best for you. Even being new to the band, you can judge if you need a fill or not by how you feel and by your desired portions.

HTH

Angie

well if you look at my signature i listed the dates of my fills and stuff... i've been banded about 5 going on 6 months and wasnt really losing.. i had my first and never felt any restriction... then i went by how my body felt... i went back for the second felt restriction for a week, then NOTHING... so i went back at the end of the month like Dr. So suggested (well he asked me to wait a month, but i couldnt) and got my 3rd fill.. i now have a good amount of restriction and i hope it stays this way for a long time.

Hi, I agree that there is not real "set time" for future fills. It takes alot of time to adjust to the band and relearn how to eat (slowly, small bites, chew tonnes, etc...) Only you will know when it seems right to get your next fill.