first 3 weeks post-op

jigglypuff

I've got my surgery date coming up very fast and am concerned about the level of hunger I may need to deal with the first 3 weeks. I have had a couple of C/S births, and was on clear liquids and then full liquids after the surgeries, but at day 3 or 4 post-op I'm pretty sure I was on a regular diet, and I remember being hungry and wanting to eat. I will be back at work 1 week post-banding, so I'm trying to plan for how I will manage no solids for 3 weeks. Can anyone share with me how it went for them? Thanks so much! barbara

You may be supirsed at your hunger level aftersurgery. It is not like any other clear liquid diet I have ever been on. The swelling you have after surgery takes away the desire to eat, not to mention the bloatedness you have from all of the gas. I had the same concerns before my surgery and thought there was no way I was going to be able to do it, but to my suprise I was not hungry for the first 3 weeks, theliquids were fine, I hope the same for you

Good Luck :)

This is my experience: First week after surgery was easyyyyyy. No hunger at all. Second week was a bit more difficult but they let you add yogurt to your list so it wasn't so bad, but I did feel hungry a lot. The third week I felt like I was starving. I had stomach cramps from not eating. I couldn't stand up straight because I was so hungry. Dr. Miranda is very serious about only liquids for first 3 weeks. I was in pain, so I called my mom's Gbypass doctor. He told me to eat some cottage cheese or some oatmeal but try and stay as close as possible to my plan. Worked like a charm. I have to admit... I cheated a bit to get rid of the cramps and had a few "mushies". I turned out okay. I think they want you to to not do mushies so that you can lose the most weight during this time (even though it is supposed to be for healing not weight loss).

The post op diet is TOUGH. I am not going to lie and tell you it wasn't super tough for me. But I am glad I went through it. I think it is a "reality check" for new bandsters too. Something to say... okay, your here, this is real.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that I am nervous about that too. I travel for work every week, so I think that it is going to be especially difficult for me. I will have a week before going back to work and then on the road again. I am not sure exacltly what the diet is for the first few weeks, but I hope that I am going to be able to get everything I need.

If you are having surgery done by Dr. Ortiz the first 8 days are liquid, then you add protein drinks and then a few days later you add yogart with no fruit. You can have jello, popsicles and water, water, water (as well as other liquids). Try as hard as you can to stay on it for 3 weeks. Then you go to the good stuff! :D

Chris