Teeth Hurting

OK. I haven't even thought about posting about this until today. In fact, I was just thinking I needed to schedule with my Dentist, ASAP. I have had regular dental cleanings every 6 months and last year I had my first cavity. (not bad for being 36 years old) Anyway, if something is actually going on with my teeth, it hasn't been there long, I am a freak when it comes to dental hygiene.

I have noticed for the last few weeks that my teeth hurt. They just ache. It isn't like I can pin point one tooth, my whole mouth hurts. When I bite down on my teeth, it hurts more. I do not notice sensitivity to cold or hot, they hurt all the time.

So, today I googled 'teeth hurting after lapband', and I saw some people talking on lapbandtalk.com saying it was vitamin deficiency.

Has anyone experience this? If so, what did you do. I am going to get in the dentist, but not until after the first of the year.

I haven’t dealt with it with the band, but I think I know what you’re dealing with – the same thing happened to me when I was pregnant. I couldn’t eat much for months and mainly lived on IVs due to a condition I have and it played havoc on my teeth. I lost several (they hurt all the time) and the cost is horrible to repair that type of damage, the time spent with your mouth open isn't exactly fun either. The first of the year is just over a week away. I’m hoping you’re good – I hate dealing with dental issues. I’m now psychotic about getting my protein, calcium and vitamins and I have a special rinse that my dentist gave me that's suppose to help keep my teeth strong.

Here's another thing we have to be careful about:

The hygienist who cleans my teeth asked how I was losing weight and when I told her I had the band she was really surprised. She has another pt that has a band and her teeth were damaged do to PBing. She thought that was part of having the band – I explained that was part of having too tight of a band, or not chewing enough or eating too fast or too much. I hate to PB and it’s another good reason not to do it.

I hope everything turns out alright for you!

Best,

Lisa

Guest CaraMBA09
OK. I haven't even thought about posting about this until today. In fact, I was just thinking I needed to schedule with my Dentist, ASAP. I have had regular dental cleanings every 6 months and last year I had my first cavity. (not bad for being 36 years old) Anyway, if something is actually going on with my teeth, it hasn't been there long, I am a freak when it comes to dental hygiene.

I have noticed for the last few weeks that my teeth hurt. They just ache. It isn't like I can pin point one tooth, my whole mouth hurts. When I bite down on my teeth, it hurts more. I do not notice sensitivity to cold or hot, they hurt all the time.

So, today I googled 'teeth hurting after lapband', and I saw some people talking on lapbandtalk.com saying it was vitamin deficiency.

Has anyone experience this? If so, what did you do. I am going to get in the dentist, but not until after the first of the year.

Dana

If your teeth hurt it is because you are not "Chewing" enough proteins etc.

My grandfather is a dentist and this is what he said might be happening

Start chewing gum to provide some relief

I HATE gum chewing (I think it looks trashy)...BUT had to not be a snob and started chewing gum to provide some relief...and it really does work.!

caio babe

C

Dana

If your teeth hurt it is because you are not "Chewing" enough proteins etc.

My grandfather is a dentist and this is what he said might be happening

Start chewing gum to provide some relief

I HATE gum chewing (I think it looks trashy)...BUT had to not be a snob and started chewing gum to provide some relief...and it really does work.!

caio babe

C

Cara ~ GREAT info from your granddad. I found I wasn't having enough proteins and found that chewing gum helped relieved me ~ but only for this reason would I chew gum.

FYI ~ Chewing gum can contribute to gas pains. When you chew gum, you swallow more often and some of what you're swallowing is air. In addition, artificial sweeteners such as sorbitol that is found in some gums, can give you gas. For this reason, I would only chew gum if my teeth hurts from lack of protein intake and in my humble opinion, I would also wait until I finished the first 21 days post op as not to mixed in with the gas issues from the surgery itself.

Thanks for the post Cara!

Cara ~ GREAT info from your granddad. I found I wasn't having enough proteins and found that chewing gum helped relieved me ~ but only for this reason would I chew gum.

FYI ~ Chewing gum can contribute to gas pains. When you chew gum, you swallow more often and some of what you're swallowing is air. In addition, artificial sweeteners such as sorbitol that is found in some gums, can give you gas. For this reason, I would only chew gum if my teeth hurts from lack of protein intake and in my humble opinion, I would also wait until I finished the first 21 days post op as not to mixed in with the gas issues from the surgery itself.

Thanks for the post Cara!

ANOTHER suggestion/option I am going to do is switch off between my chewable multivitamin and the gummy multivitamin. The gummy one I think would help aid in the 'chewing' to relieve the aches and tiredness. I'll let you know...