More about my "surgery" day 3/11/09 and why I switched to the OCC

Okay, there is more to the story of last Wednesday I haven't shared yet. Prior to entering the OR, there was drama drama drama.

My surgery was scheduled at 7 am and I was asked to arrive at the hospital at 6 am. My husband and I only lived about5 45 minutes from the surgery location but we decided it would be best to spend the night at my brother-in-law's instead since he's only about 10 minutes away.

The alarm goes off at 5 am. My brother-in-law has two small children so my husband and I tip toed around the house in the dark (try doing that in an unfamiliar place) and got into the car around 5:45 am.

I left my purse, drivers license, credit card, debit card, checkbook, car keys, moisturizer blah blah blah (you get the idea) at home in San Francisco...because the doctors notes said to bring no valueables and I'm a rule follower.

We check the address a few times. Turns out the "surgery center" was at the back entrance of a bank... (yea...not a typo...a bank)

:)

We get to the parking lot and I turn to my husband (we were self pay) and ask him if he has the checkbook. He smiles and says no but neither of us are terribly worried about it. We had already given my doctor $7500 in the form of a a check so we honestly didn't give it another thought.

So I get ready and prepped for surgery. Final pregnacy test...etc. And they prepare the IV...all of a sudden (I've been there about an hour) a nurse walks in and tells me there has been a "snaffooo".

She said they only took cash payments and we owed them payment in full. I explained to her that my husband and I left our check book at home...blah blah blah and she said that they wouldn't take a check, but there was a bank across the street so we could give them cash.

She also said that she had already called my doctor and since they were doing "no other surgeries" that day they moved mine back to 10 am so my husband could go home and handle the banking. She said I could sit there prepped and nap until he returned. Then I told her I had to go with him because if they needed "cash" I was the only one who could write on that particular account so I'd have to go to the bank with him.

She said they absolutely wouldn't take a check so yep, I'd have to go home.

Can you imagine, so my husband and I are driving about an hour each way (it's my own fault I know for not bringing my "valueables") and then waiting for the bank to open and then going back to the surgery center, being prepped again.

So you can imagine my shock when I woke up and found out they didn't perform the surgery.

lol

It's all so comical now. I think I even joked with my husband as we were driving home that it was obvious the surgery would be a success because the drama of the day was over.

Another reason I switched to the OCC. It was just a comedy of errors and to top it off, I got a call from the surgery center today (original doctor) to find out how I was doing after my surgery. Then I had to tell her that I didn't have the surgery..."Why not"...she asked.

Ahhhhhhhh

I'm so glad I switched doctors, I wish I didn't have to wait another 2 months for the surgery but it's for the best. That I know.

The surgery center issued a check (not cash...lol) before I was discharged. They let me know they only charged me "half" of their normal fees for the anesthesia so the refund was minus that.

My doctor still has his $7500 deposit. I talked to his nurse on Friday and she said he will issue me a full refund minus no fees.

;)

Totally agree...sounds like this was meant to be and you will be in very good hands!!!!

Maybe a little bit cheesy ... but ...Everything Happens For A Reason :lb12:

From what I read, it was probably for the best, that you ended up not having surgery at this "place"

I know you'll be very pleased with the OCC - simply the best decision & experience I could have asked for!

Keep us posted!