Too much restriction, but not full

OK, I am really confused about whatever is going on with me and hope someone out there has encountered and conquered this issue.

I will start with October '08 fill which put me at 9.9cc. I did fine the first day on liquids, second day on soft and then tried chicken for lunch on day 3. Got hung up and stayed that way for a long time that day. Really hurt. Finally threw it up and went on about my day back on soft foods. Realized that I still felt miserable even on soft foods. I kept throwing up almost everything solid from then until I finally got a .2 cc unfill 2 weeks after fill. It took that long because in the mean time i got shingles in my mouth and throat. Ouch!!! Extremely miserable 2 weeks. After unfill, really felt no restriction any more. 6 weeks later got .1 cc fill. Didn't feel any different. Took 5 weeks to get back in. He put in .2 cc which got me to maximum fill capacity of 10cc. Unbelievably still feel NO restriction. Went back after one week(today) for an upper GI to make sure band was where it belonged. Did the barium stuff and watched it hardly pass through the band. just a trickle. So anyway it is obvious to me that I did have restriction. It showed that my esophogus is enlarged due to the fact that the band is too tight and food just backs up into it. Problem is I can't feel it. All I feel is what my head is telling me is hunger pains. Dr. is stumped as to why I don't feel restriction when actually too tight.(He did take some out so that I loosen up.) with the exception of that 2 weeks in Oct. I have always been able to eat any food with no problem. Breads, nuts, popcorn, meats, all of it. Keep waiting for the day when I can't. Doesn't look like it will happen. I go wed. for and EDG or EGD whichever way the letters go to be sure the band has not eroded into the stomach. Dr. doesn't think this is the case because if it was the barium should have been spilling over the outside of the band instead of concentrated in the center, but he wants to be sure.

I am scared that this will no longer work for me. I am 18 months post op and down about 75 lbs. Since Oct. have gained and lost the same 5 pounds numerous times. Totally frustrated, confused and beginning to wish i had done a gastric bypass instead of band. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my rant. Karen :(

All I feel is what my head is telling me is hunger pains.

may what's going on be psychological?

and i wouldn't wish for a gastric bypass.

it's not reversible, the band is - god forbid you may need to get it removed.

just think about what the worst case scenario would be.

not all that bad. you get it removed, and go with another option.

i would go with a gastric sleeve, before going for a bypass.

I am going through something similar... I am not at fill capacity but I have restriction with food, but I NEVER FEEL FULL! My fill people tell me this is normal with about 15-20% of people with the band. I have to work really hard to tell myself when to stop. It kind of sucks but I look at how good I am doing.... I am 9 months post op and down about 60lbs from my heaviest, I have hit a platau at 171lbs but I am not gaining. I get frustrated at times but I am starting to realize that I need to stop thinking about a number, would that be weight or size of pants..... I am happy, not always happy with my band and it's complications but with myself.

My sister is also banded and we are SOOOOO different with how our bodies react to fills and restriction...

Remember that you have lost alot of weight, and that the band is working but it doesn't work the same for everyone.

Good Luck!

may what's going on be psychological?

and i wouldn't wish for a gastric bypass.

it's not reversible, the band is - god forbid you may need to get it removed.

just think about what the worst case scenario would be.

not all that bad. you get it removed, and go with another option.

i would go with a gastric sleeve, before going for a bypass.

That's what I suspect. That it's all in my head.

Dr. just can't get over that I don't feel pressure in my chest since basically the barium drink was just sitting there in my esophogus for the whole time I was in the xray room.(About 25 minutes) I truly didn't feel uncomfortable.

I'm frustrated right now, but I really did decide on the band because I didn't want to mutilate my internal organs with a gastric bypass. I know that i will get thru this, just wish I could make it hurry up. Need to get my head back into the game. Know that i don't always eat correctly. Getting plenty of cardio excercise in, but need to increase the strength workouts. Just venting and reading other peoples post on this site tonight has helped. Tomorrow is a new day.

By the way, if that's you in the picture, you look great. Thanks for responding. Karen

I am going through something similar... I am not at fill capacity but I have restriction with food, but I NEVER FEEL FULL! My fill people tell me this is normal with about 15-20% of people with the band. I have to work really hard to tell myself when to stop. It kind of sucks but I look at how good I am doing.... I am 9 months post op and down about 60lbs from my heaviest, I have hit a platau at 171lbs but I am not gaining. I get frustrated at times but I am starting to realize that I need to stop thinking about a number, would that be weight or size of pants..... I am happy, not always happy with my band and it's complications but with myself.

My sister is also banded and we are SOOOOO different with how our bodies react to fills and restriction...

Remember that you have lost alot of weight, and that the band is working but it doesn't work the same for everyone.

Good Luck!

Don't know if I'm hoping to be in that 15-20% or that it's psychological. I guess psychological would be better. At least that I can do something about. 171 would be a great # for me. Congrats on your success so far. Thanks, Karen

After reading this post I have learned that I am not alone on this! Thank God! I don't get full either, I am either to tight or just right and not getting full! I really have to watch my portion sizes and stop when I think I have had enough. After having my unfill last week it has been a very different ball game for me. I am using a lot of willpower and I was hoping that the band would be my willpower for me. But one meal at a time and I try to fill my time with running and going to curves. I really do think that I am in the 15-20% range as I have never really been full.

Jenelle

ya know ...

i only suggested it was psychological, because even when i'm full and my stomach is saying 'NO MORE!!', i used to keep eating anyways.

for me, my food issues are far beyond physical - but very much psychological.

i think this is something a lot of people don't realize, or hope the band will evaporate.

which is a false hope.

i've had an eating disorder for almost 7 years now.

and the psychological challenge is far more difficult to live with than the physical - even when I was training for contests.

i would highly recommend finding a therapist in your area that specializes in eating disorders.

this really saved my life, in so many spectrum's.

while the band will physically make your stomach smaller, the psychological aspect is not corrected, and never will be unless you address it.

lets face it - most of us who have the lapband have serious over-eating issues.

we don't become over weight by accident.

we are now eating for fuel.

we're not eating for pleasure.

that's what the band is all about.

i really hope you seek alternative dr advice. sometimes medical doctors skip over and forget the most important aspects ...

on another hand, geez!

you've lost so much weight already ... you're doing an amazing job, whatever it is you're doing!

why you're doubting yourself, is beyond me!

:-?

xo

That's what I suspect. That it's all in my head.

Dr. just can't get over that I don't feel pressure in my chest since basically the barium drink was just sitting there in my esophogus for the whole time I was in the xray room.(About 25 minutes) I truly didn't feel uncomfortable.

I'm frustrated right now, but I really did decide on the band because I didn't want to mutilate my internal organs with a gastric bypass. I know that i will get thru this, just wish I could make it hurry up. Need to get my head back into the game. Know that i don't always eat correctly. Getting plenty of cardio excercise in, but need to increase the strength workouts. Just venting and reading other peoples post on this site tonight has helped. Tomorrow is a new day.

By the way, if that's you in the picture, you look great. Thanks for responding. Karen

Karen - you're totally on the right track!!!!!!!!

You're losing weight.

You're staying healthy.

As long as you're making the right food choices, and exercising, you WILL lose weight.

:)

Just remind yourself that we got the band as a weight loss tool - i wish it was a miracle, but it's not.

And yes, that's me in the picture.

REMEMBER! The more lean muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism will function.

whoohoo!

Start liftin' girl, and you'll get yourself out of this funk of failure.

You're doing awesome.

And remember that!!!

Karen - you're totally on the right track!!!!!!!!

You're losing weight.

You're staying healthy.

As long as you're making the right food choices, and exercising, you WILL lose weight.

:)

Just remind yourself that we got the band as a weight loss tool - i wish it was a miracle, but it's not.

And yes, that's me in the picture.

REMEMBER! The more lean muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism will function.

whoohoo!

Start liftin' girl, and you'll get yourself out of this funk of failure.

You're doing awesome.

And remember that!!!

Thanks for both of your responses. Encouragement is nice (and needed) sometimes. Am planning on finally going back to the orientation person at my gym to get advice on what other weight machines I should be doing. Am still only doing the same 6 six machines they started me out on right after banding. It's time to move on and get busier with it. Also am going to start journaling my food again. That always seems to help with the weight loss. I too wish the band was the miracle cure, but NOT. But it is a great tool. Thanks again.