Gettin on the Plane tomorrow!

Hi All-

This journey for my wife Leanne & I has been a long one. We first went to a weight loss seminar in 2006 and decided then that we would do the band together. Our insurance, however, would not cover it and self pay was too much in the US. We were quoted about $30,000 each. About a year ago I saw an article on medical tourism and began to look for options. I am very happy to have found the OCC. My wife & I are both very comfortable with our decision on going there. My wife even found out about a week ago that we know someone who has been to the OCC for his surgery. That really put our minds at ease. We are both getting our bands on Monday at the OCC! We are both very excited and about as prepared as we can be. Even though we live about 20 minutes from the airport, there is a bridge between here and there so we are staying at a hotel at the airport tonight. I will likely not see this site until I get home next Wednesday. It has been great to read all of the posts and experiences. We also read Lap-Band For Life by none other than Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I consider this book a must for anyone who is considering lap-band as an option. Anyway, I know we are in good hands, but wish us luck. I look forward to meeting the others who will be there while we are.

Todd

Congrats Todd and Leanne!

I'm from Washington as well, live in Snoqualmie and I've had my band since Oct 6 of 2006, lost 130 pounds and been doing great! I love the OCC and getting my band has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life! Its not easy, but its easier than not having it, at least for me.

Good luck and here’s to an amazing start of your journey (to the both of you)!!

Cheers!!

Lisa

Hi All-

This journey for my wife Leanne & I has been a long one. We first went to a weight loss seminar in 2006 and decided then that we would do the band together. Our insurance, however, would not cover it and self pay was too much in the US. We were quoted about $30,000 each. About a year ago I saw an article on medical tourism and began to look for options. I am very happy to have found the OCC. My wife & I are both very comfortable with our decision on going there. My wife even found out about a week ago that we know someone who has been to the OCC for his surgery. That really put our minds at ease. We are both getting our bands on Monday at the OCC! We are both very excited and about as prepared as we can be. Even though we live about 20 minutes from the airport, there is a bridge between here and there so we are staying at a hotel at the airport tonight. I will likely not see this site until I get home next Wednesday. It has been great to read all of the posts and experiences. We also read Lap-Band For Life by none other than Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I consider this book a must for anyone who is considering lap-band as an option. Anyway, I know we are in good hands, but wish us luck. I look forward to meeting the others who will be there while we are.

Todd

So happy for you Todd & Leanne! Please let us know how you are doing. I know you will enjoy your time at the OCC, everyone is wonderful! See you on the other side! :)

Hi All-

Todd

TODD YOUR CRACKING ME UP. FROM VANCOUVER TO THE PORTLAND AIRPORT IS LESS THEN AN EVENING COMMUTE. YOU GUYS MUCH BE EXCITED :)

BEST OF LUCK TO THE BOTH OF YOU, YOUR IN GREAT HANDS =D>

I had my surgery in TJ Jan 12, and it has been a good experience--no pain, no problems. My neice, 10 years younger than I, had hers done in Minnesota, and really had a lot of problems with pain, like gallbladder attack type pain. She had to have an MRI, and lots of labs, and lots of bloodwork after her surgery. Me, I was running on the treadmill and did all my usual activities. We had the surgeries almost at the same time. I felt that I was very lucky to have chosen TJ for my surgery. The outcome couldn't have been better.

Her dr. also says that if she gets on a plane, she has to have an un-fill and a re-fill when she gets home. I strongly suspect that he might be beefing up his cash flow.

Expect the best. And if you have questions/problems, USE that toll-free number to call the dr. directly after your surgery. There really is good follow-through from them at all levels at the OCC.

I just had my first fill. This is a learning curve. I tend to want to overeat, but I try to keep in mind that I should have nutritious intake, and also not to sabotage my band with eating the wrong kinds of food.

Her dr. also says that if she gets on a plane, she has to have an un-fill and a re-fill when she gets home. I strongly suspect that he might be beefing up his cash flow.

Not sure that an unfill/fill are needed when you fly, but I must admit that when I flew from KC to OKC and back last weekend I felt tighter. None of this feeling manifested itself in what I could or could not eat, but both times I was in the air my chest just kind of hurt. Maybe it was a mental issue I was having, but it definitely made me wonder.

I fly a lot for my job and on some long flights - I don't get an unfill, but I know that I can get tight. I really watch my salt intake, drink lots of water, warm tea if needed and focus on chewing and eating really slow. No major issues to date, I just listen to the old band and let it rule. I don't think it’s mental, I think it has to do with the compression - we're so sensitive that we feel more with our bands than others. Just like your feet swell up (or mine do when I fly) I think our organs do as well and it can cause our bands to tighten.