The truth will set me free.....or get me criticized.

Let me first start out by saying I feel like a failure. :( I am two weeks out from having surgery, and I am bombing on my pre-op diet. I choose diet number 2. Which is 2 shakes, and a lean cuisine meal. I can have all the greens I want and FF jello as a snack.

I started early because I figured it would be a good idea for me to "Just Do It." My starting weight was 280 and I was down to 273, then my TOM hit. I have been having a hard time keeping my envenings in check. I crave chocolate/food. I am not sure if it is water weight or cheats that have caused my weight to go up. I am now at 275. Because I have "cheated" on the diet plan I am finding it hard to get back on board. The other day, I was obsessed with food. I do GREAT during my day. I am busy and time passes. I get home in the evening. Cook for my family and that is where I feel the faulting begin.

I know how important it is to stay the corse and lighten my liver as well as shrink my stomach as much as possible before the surgery. Knowedge is power, but right now I feel like my understanding is torturing me. How can I even think about cheating when it is going to help me to be a sucessful band patient??? Am I the only pre-op patient who feels like the two week diet is harder than I thought?

I am a food sneak. I eat when no one is looking and lie about it. Are there any reformed food sneaks out there? Can anyone offer me some suggestions that will help me to focus on the mini finish line ahead. Which is loosing my pre-op weight?

Also, since I am laying it all out there, I may as well ask. Did anyone else have food reservations? There have been a few instances where I thought of "Netties cheese enchaladas" or " ____________" insert coveted food/comfort food in the blank. I am able to talk with my husband about it and at the end of the conversation I feel much better and re-focused.

Can anyone relate to me or have some sugestions that will aid me in my evening trails?

:lb4: All I want to say is, I am the same as you! I eat at night and cant stop! My pre-op diet was hard for me too. Im really not to sure what to tell you to stop as I am still struggling after my surgery! But I will say that the thought of my surgery being canceled if i didn't lose the weight made me buckle down! (I paid way to much to not have the surgery, flights hotels, the surgery itself!)

Your doing good, keep up the VERY HARD work!

Big hugs and lots of love,

Jenelle

Ah I wish I had some good wisdom but I was the same way! My pre-op diet started the day after Christmas when I was still visiting with family and leftovers and Christmas goodies were being shoved in my face every corner I turned! I did really good the first couple of days but then I would cheat or something. I honestly think I cheated almost every day (shame on me I know!) but I tried to at least make my cheats something relatively healthy like string cheese or an egg at breakfast...

I lost 6 lbs initially but by the time I weighed in at Dr. Miranda's office I was only down 3! I was supposed to loose 12! Whoops, but she did not seem too concerned about it and I still got my surgery the day I was scheduled too.

My only advice is to not put too much pressure on yourself. Stress affects weight loss too so stressing over eating a snack could hurt you more than the snack itself in the long run! If you cheat you cheat, just do the best you can.

Good luck with your surgery! It is life changing!

Angie

The only thing I can say is: You are not alone, we have all been there at one time or another.

One thing that I did that seemed to help is to have some zucchini (steamed or pan cooked with Mrs. Dash, yummm) with my salad and I used the Salad Sprtizers for a little flavor. At dinner time I would dump my dinner (I love the south beach ones because they seemed to satisfy me more) on top of a bed of lettuce to help give me some filler.

We are all worried about not loosing enough weight to have the surgery, but I haven't ever heard of anyone that didn't get the surgery...

shy

Hey sweetie, you are not alone! We have all been where you are. The band is not going to take these feelings away from you either. It is a daily battle, that you will win in time! But, you have to prepare for the battle the right way.....

If I were you I would get ALL the simple carbs out of the house. Chips (whether they are fat free or not), breads (unless it has the weight of a rock), cookies (sugar free or not), chocolate etc. Anything you know is bad & makes you want to eat.

The mistake I made was thinking a few fat free pringles (70 calories for 7) would be ok, and one tiny piece of chocolate etc. WRONG!!! All those cravings come back & the first time you start feeling sorry for yoursef, YOU STUFF YOUR FACE. I am not judging you, this is what I DID!! Now, when I want to treat myself, I do it away from the house. I don't bring the junk food in!!

Your body recognizes simple carbs as sugar. So, get your carbs from a potato, brown rice, oatmeal and fruits.

I know you aren't banded yet, but when you are you need to be eating Protein, Veggies, (some) Fruits. So, why not start now? I eat a lot of deli meat, I also found a bag of frozen chicken with rib meat at sams. I LOVE IT! Plain ole chicken sometimes is just too dry. But this chicken is great & the deli meats work because they are so thin. I also eat Meatballs alot or ground turkey and occasionally beef.

This morning for bfast I had 1 egg, 1 turkey bacon. Lunch I will have deli meat (ham today) and a cheese. I love the string cheese. I limit myself to 2 a day. But that gives me some dairy too and it is a good snack mid afternoon.

Trust me, if you do this you will start losing. Since I have done this, I am losing again. Get it out of the house and it won't be there to tempt you. If you are hungry at night, grab some protein! If you just have to have something around for your sweet tooth get the sugar free pudding and jello. Top it with cool whip light in the can & you have a great 70 calorie snack.

Hang in there, you can do this!!!

I love to snack at night. I have a hot air popcorn popper. I spray the fat free butter all over the popcorn and scarf it down!!!! I don't feel guilty when I eat it. For some reason, I never have a problem with it getting stuck either.

Crazy huh? I can eat popcorn too! NUTS!

:lb4: All I want to say is, I am the same as you! I eat at night and cant stop! My pre-op diet was hard for me too. Im really not to sure what to tell you to stop as I am still struggling after my surgery! But I will say that the thought of my surgery being canceled if i didn't lose the weight made me buckle down! (I paid way to much to not have the surgery, flights hotels, the surgery itself!)

Your doing good, keep up the VERY HARD work!

Big hugs and lots of love,

Jenelle

Jenelle - I want to do the very best I can! Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey sweetie, you are not alone! We have all been where you are. The band is not going to take these feelings away from you either. It is a daily battle, that you will win in time! But, you have to prepare for the battle the right way.....

If I were you I would get ALL the simple carbs out of the house. Chips (whether they are fat free or not), breads (unless it has the weight of a rock), cookies (sugar free or not), chocolate etc. Anything you know is bad & makes you want to eat.

The mistake I made was thinking a few fat free pringles (70 calories for 7) would be ok, and one tiny piece of chocolate etc. WRONG!!! All those cravings come back & the first time you start feeling sorry for yoursef, YOU STUFF YOUR FACE. I am not judging you, this is what I DID!! Now, when I want to treat myself, I do it away from the house. I don't bring the junk food in!!

Your body recognizes simple carbs as sugar. So, get your carbs from a potato, brown rice, oatmeal and fruits.

I know you aren't banded yet, but when you are you need to be eating Protein, Veggies, (some) Fruits. So, why not start now? I eat a lot of deli meat, I also found a bag of frozen chicken with rib meat at sams. I LOVE IT! Plain ole chicken sometimes is just too dry. But this chicken is great & the deli meats work because they are so thin. I also eat Meatballs alot or ground turkey and occasionally beef.

This morning for bfast I had 1 egg, 1 turkey bacon. Lunch I will have deli meat (ham today) and a cheese. I love the string cheese. I limit myself to 2 a day. But that gives me some dairy too and it is a good snack mid afternoon.

Trust me, if you do this you will start losing. Since I have done this, I am losing again. Get it out of the house and it won't be there to tempt you. If you are hungry at night, grab some protein! If you just have to have something around for your sweet tooth get the sugar free pudding and jello. Top it with cool whip light in the can & you have a great 70 calorie snack.

Hang in there, you can do this!!!

Dana - as soon as I am able to eat again, I will be taking your advise. Right now I am pre-op. You have some great tips and suggestions.

Oh, I was checking out your pics on facebook. You look awesome! I loved the sunshine and rainbows post you had up.

Ah I wish I had some good wisdom but I was the same way! My pre-op diet started the day after Christmas when I was still visiting with family and leftovers and Christmas goodies were being shoved in my face every corner I turned! I did really good the first couple of days but then I would cheat or something. I honestly think I cheated almost every day (shame on me I know!) but I tried to at least make my cheats something relatively healthy like string cheese or an egg at breakfast...

I lost 6 lbs initially but by the time I weighed in at Dr. Miranda's office I was only down 3! I was supposed to loose 12! Whoops, but she did not seem too concerned about it and I still got my surgery the day I was scheduled too.

My only advice is to not put too much pressure on yourself. Stress affects weight loss too so stressing over eating a snack could hurt you more than the snack itself in the long run! If you cheat you cheat, just do the best you can.

Good luck with your surgery! It is life changing!

I could not even imagine starting your pre-op around Christmas time. I would have bumped the date. That is a very tough time. All those goodies. Thanks for sharing your struggles. I have been reading posts for a while and no one really has spoken of cheating or the pre-op challenges. I am a fairly new memeber, but I was thinking I was the only one who struggled. The more I felt like I had to keep up the frint of doing good the worse I got. I am glad I spoke up. Reading each post makes me feel like I am not alone in this struggle. I truely wish I was a super star and was breezing through this but, the truth is I am not.

Angie

The only thing I can say is: You are not alone, we have all been there at one time or another.

One thing that I did that seemed to help is to have some zucchini (steamed or pan cooked with Mrs. Dash, yummm) with my salad and I used the Salad Sprtizers for a little flavor. At dinner time I would dump my dinner (I love the south beach ones because they seemed to satisfy me more) on top of a bed of lettuce to help give me some filler.

We are all worried about not loosing enough weight to have the surgery, but I haven't ever heard of anyone that didn't get the surgery...

shy

Great tips! I will check out south beach this weekend. I also ran out of "good salad mix" and had the iceburg. It just doesn't cut it for taste of flavor. So I picked up some spinage and other greens. Much better! If I like what I have to eat it won't be so bad. I do need to pick up another spritzer.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I love to snack at night. I have a hot air popcorn popper. I spray the fat free butter all over the popcorn and scarf it down!!!! I don't feel guilty when I eat it. For some reason, I never have a problem with it getting stuck either.

Kimberly - What a great idea! Low fat popcorn! That is something I will pick up. Low cals and you can eat 3 cups with very little damage!

Great tips from everyone! And let me also agree you are NOT alone! If sticking to a diet were that easy then I wouldn't need the band! I tried really hard, but there were times I fell off the wagon. In those occasions I did not let myself say - OK well I screwed up today so let's just eat like crap the rest of the day. I admitted it and got right back on track! I was really bad those last few days before surgery b/c I felt like I needed to get those foods in one last times which was so stupid. I am still able to eat most of them except bread, just smaller amounts.

We are all going to screw up that is life. So once you do tell yourself OK you messed up and get right back on track! Try to lose as much as you can but don't freak out about it. However don't become complacent and assume they will do your surgery. I've also heard sticking to your pre-op diet makes your healing post-surgery easier. Not sure if that is true, but that is what i've heard.

I truly truly believe that for many food is an addiction so it is going to take time to break the bad habits. So work hard and do your best, but also don't make excuses! Get back on track right away!

Angie, I am starting on my second (pre-op) week with surgery scheduled for April 15th. Yes it is hard especially nights. Just get back on track what is done is done.

Have your shake in the AM, Lean Cuisine in the afternoon (eat it real slow), another shake in late PM with lots of water and crystal lites in between. I think the next few months are going to be really hard but we just have to keep focused on our goals to succeed.

To me this is a last resort I have failed so many times but I am determined not to fail this time. Maybe put some recent pictures of you up on the refrig. I just have to keep playing mind games to be good cause it has been such a long time with my bad eating habits. I would sneak downstairs after DH would go to bed and pig out on food that I bought and hid around the house. I'm just so tired of not being able to buy cute clothes and I'm so tired of being in such denial. I guess what I'm saying is I've hit rock bottom and this is what is motivating me.

One day at a time. Speaking of which doesn't Valeria Bertinelli look great?

Let me first start out by saying I feel like a failure. :( I am two weeks out from having surgery, and I am bombing on my pre-op diet. I choose diet number 2. Which is 2 shakes, and a lean cuisine meal. I can have all the greens I want and FF jello as a snack.

I started early because I figured it would be a good idea for me to "Just Do It." My starting weight was 280 and I was down to 273, then my TOM hit. I have been having a hard time keeping my envenings in check. I crave chocolate/food. I am not sure if it is water weight or cheats that have caused my weight to go up. I am now at 275. Because I have "cheated" on the diet plan I am finding it hard to get back on board. The other day, I was obsessed with food. I do GREAT during my day. I am busy and time passes. I get home in the evening. Cook for my family and that is where I feel the faulting begin.

I know how important it is to stay the corse and lighten my liver as well as shrink my stomach as much as possible before the surgery. Knowedge is power, but right now I feel like my understanding is torturing me. How can I even think about cheating when it is going to help me to be a sucessful band patient??? Am I the only pre-op patient who feels like the two week diet is harder than I thought?

I am a food sneak. I eat when no one is looking and lie about it. Are there any reformed food sneaks out there? Can anyone offer me some suggestions that will help me to focus on the mini finish line ahead. Which is loosing my pre-op weight?

Also, since I am laying it all out there, I may as well ask. Did anyone else have food reservations? There have been a few instances where I thought of "Netties cheese enchaladas" or " ____________" insert coveted food/comfort food in the blank. I am able to talk with my husband about it and at the end of the conversation I feel much better and re-focused.

Can anyone relate to me or have some sugestions that will aid me in my evening trails?

Lose the weight--I did not and my surgery was postponed---the embarrasment is not worth it! Have two shakes a day and water. Get on it, you do not wnat to go through the stress if you don't lose the weight or at least most of it. To lose weight fast take a diretic, call Dr. Miranda if you need too, she will give you some tips.

Good luck--it is all worth it in the end!

I think you got some great tips here - and I still have never heard of anyone being turned down. Start each day fresh and don't beat yourself up too much. But know that when your banded it does get really serious - no cheating there! But we all made it through and you will too!

Lisa - you are right, it is serious! I confessed my cheats to my husband last night. (After a fellow lap band friend made some suggestions I couldn't not take.) Doing so, was hard, but cheat food has sense been removed from the house. Jim my husband is my biggest supporter. I feel like I am back on track today. Which is a great feeling. I have 12 days to loose some more lbs. so all is not lost.

I am so blessed this forum is here. It is a weatlth of information and support! Thank you everyone who replied and gave me suggestions and support. What I can not do alone, we can do together!

Angie, I am starting on my second (pre-op) week with surgery scheduled for April 15th. Yes it is hard especially nights. Just get back on track what is done is done.

Have your shake in the AM, Lean Cuisine in the afternoon (eat it real slow), another shake in late PM with lots of water and crystal lites in between. I think the next few months are going to be really hard but we just have to keep focused on our goals to succeed.

To me this is a last resort I have failed so many times but I am determined not to fail this time. Maybe put some recent pictures of you up on the refrig. I just have to keep playing mind games to be good cause it has been such a long time with my bad eating habits. I would sneak downstairs after DH would go to bed and pig out on food that I bought and hid around the house. I'm just so tired of not being able to buy cute clothes and I'm so tired of being in such denial. I guess what I'm saying is I've hit rock bottom and this is what is motivating me.

Meerkat - I am right there with you! It is sad and well sad. Today is a new day. I feel a renewed focus and have a goal that I am determined to meet. We can do this together! Yes, Valerie Bertinelli does look totally fabulous! I got here the same way you did. At times I feel like this is the last house on the block so to speak. I am surrendering so I can be a winner! I can not eat like other people eat. I am compulsive and need a behavior modification tool to help me round the corner!

I am counting down the days until my surgery! You will be right before me, so I will be looking to you for inspiration! You can do this and so can I!!!

Lose the weight--I did not and my surgery was postponed---the embarrasment is not worth it! Have two shakes a day and water. Get on it, you do not wnat to go through the stress if you don't lose the weight or at least most of it. To lose weight fast take a diretic, call Dr. Miranda if you need too, she will give you some tips.

Good luck--it is all worth it in the end!

bctracy - I am sorry to read of your embarrasment. ><' You are right, it is not worth it. Part of the reason I feel like such a failure is that I am investing so much in this new way of living and I still find myself going out of bounds so to speak. I am on the 2 shakes a day. I am doing great during the day. My biggest down fall is the evening.

I am putting some fail safes in place that should help me to stay focused. I got some great ideas from people who either posted here of sent me PM.

Thanks for sharing your story. It will help motivate me to keep on track!

Great tips from everyone! And let me also agree you are NOT alone! If sticking to a diet were that easy then I wouldn't need the band! I tried really hard, but there were times I fell off the wagon. In those occasions I did not let myself say - OK well I screwed up today so let's just eat like crap the rest of the day. I admitted it and got right back on track! I was really bad those last few days before surgery b/c I felt like I needed to get those foods in one last times which was so stupid. I am still able to eat most of them except bread, just smaller amounts.

We are all going to screw up that is life. So once you do tell yourself OK you messed up and get right back on track! Try to lose as much as you can but don't freak out about it. However don't become complacent and assume they will do your surgery. I've also heard sticking to your pre-op diet makes your healing post-surgery easier. Not sure if that is true, but that is what i've heard.

I truly truly believe that for many food is an addiction so it is going to take time to break the bad habits. So work hard and do your best, but also don't make excuses! Get back on track right away!

I am back on the band wagon. The good news is I am still down 5 lbs.! Now I am focused on today. For me, I think I will have to break it down into small increments of time to help me get throught the ruff moments. When I feel like I am on the verge of cheating, I will break it down to "for this 10 minutes I will not cheat myself of my new life." I can do darn near anything for 10 minutes at a time! So, that is my plan.

I gave up my "cookie" stash last night to my hubby, that was painful. BUT like I said on here, the truth will set me free and I feel like I am free today. So now I have a renewed determination. I am a winner and a looser! LOL

Thanks for replying!

HI Angie,

I just had surgery in March. I know how hard it can be to do the pre-op diet. You are working on will power and once you have your first fill you will be on BAND power! I know many have said they havent heard of anyone not getting the surgery but I HAVE! In my group there was a woman who was to be banded the day before us. She didn't lose enough weight. So they had her weight and put her on a restricted diet for a day and had her do a bunch of walking so that she would drop a few more pounds. But they still werent sure if it would go. She did end up losing enough weight. She had the surgery the same day as my group and unfortunately had to get on her plain the day after surgery because she couldnt change her flight.

My down falls were similar to yours with it being around dinner time with the family. I would look at what they were having and REALLY want it. So I started buying lean cuisines to mimic what I was giving my family if they were having mexican so would I just in lean cuisine form. Before you reach your down fall point have a big bowl of greens with salad spray...fill yourself up a bit. Plus keep your water on hand. Often we feel hungry but are actually thirsty.

There is a Chocolate Mint water by MetroMint waters that I absolutely LOVE!!! The water reminds me of Girl Scout cookies (Thin Mints). The water has ZERO calories and yet is soothing and takes the edge of my need for chocolate. Another thing you might want to consider is stopping yourself and try and listen to your body...is your body hungry or is your MIND hungry. More often than not it was mind mind that was hungry.

I wish you all the willpower and success until you get your band!

HI Angie,

I just had surgery in March. I know how hard it can be to do the pre-op diet. You are working on will power and once you have your first fill you will be on BAND power! I know many have said they havent heard of anyone not getting the surgery but I HAVE! In my group there was a woman who was to be banded the day before us. She didn't lose enough weight. So they had her weight and put her on a restricted diet for a day and had her do a bunch of walking so that she would drop a few more pounds. But they still werent sure if it would go. She did end up losing enough weight. She had the surgery the same day as my group and unfortunately had to get on her plain the day after surgery because she couldnt change her flight.

My down falls were similar to yours with it being around dinner time with the family. I would look at what they were having and REALLY want it. So I started buying lean cuisines to mimic what I was giving my family if they were having mexican so would I just in lean cuisine form. Before you reach your down fall point have a big bowl of greens with salad spray...fill yourself up a bit. Plus keep your water on hand. Often we feel hungry but are actually thirsty.

There is a Chocolate Mint water by MetroMint waters that I absolutely LOVE!!! The water reminds me of Girl Scout cookies (Thin Mints). The water has ZERO calories and yet is soothing and takes the edge of my need for chocolate. Another thing you might want to consider is stopping yourself and try and listen to your body...is your body hungry or is your MIND hungry. More often than not it was mind mind that was hungry.

I would like to try that water! It sounds amazing! Where do you buy it?

HI Angie,

I am glad to hear I am not the only wife/mother who struggles when cooking for my family. It does make it hard. I have been trying to cook them foods that I can have. Like baked talapia, mine being plain and theres dressed up a bit. I do recognize that 90% of my "hunger" is indeed head hunger. Sad to admit that, but it is the truth. I have had a few slips because of being overly hungery. Please understand that I have not been use to feeling hunger, so when I am indeed hungry it is a mini crisis in ways. LOL For the longest time I have not felt hunger pangs. Sad....I am recommitted to myself and my family as well as my support people. I am back on track and feel a bit saddened that such a seemingly "little" task has upset the applecart. BUT the truth will set me free and that is the truth for me.

Some may see my posts and think Gawd! Get a grip, but I can get a grip now, that it doesn't seem quite so impossible.

Chocolate Mint water sounds like a good cheat! I will have to see if I can find some cheats that are less harmful and just as good. Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes...Valerie looks absolutely amazing! I have always been a fan of hers and now I think she is an inspiration. I have never been one to wear a bikini but I would sure LOVE to. Hoping that I can achieve that!!

To me that lapband is just a tool for us. I have only been banded for 2 weeks but I have been around a few people that have had it done and you can definitely sabotage it. It teaches you what we should have been doing all along...eating smaller portions and chewing our food better. However, on our own that just wasn't achievable. I have lost 12 lbs in the last 2 weeks and I already feel better about myself. This is not only helping me but my entire family. My husband is proud of me and my younger son thinks that I am some kind of pro regarding food now. Ha-Ha I have NEVER been a pro at food. I think once you have been banded your mind-set changes because it is something that is finally so achievable you start thinking healthier and want to start exercising and get that body going. =D>