5 months since banded - such a slow road

Hi all

I have read lots of posts about people who are frustrated about the slow pace of their weight loss and I thought I would share a bit of my "battle" so far. I was banded on Dec 15 '08 and everything went amazingly well. I had no complications, very little discomfort and an easy trip back and forth from Mexico. It helped that as a student I had 3 full weeks to recuperate before I had anything major planned.

The day my 3 weeks of fluids was up I came down with what we thought was an eye infection. After several weeks I received a diagnosis of iritis which is an inflammatory disease that can really only be treated with steroids and anti-inflammatories. The condition effected my ability to read, and as a student finishing my 4 year of a BA in preparation for applying to grad school I was very stressed. It also had the potential to cause permanent damage or blindness (thankfully it didn't).

I had my first at the end of January and my second the beginning of March with very little movement on the scales. I had lost a total of 14lbs since my surgery, most of that on the post-op liquid diet. Thankfully my fill doctor pointed out that I had been going through a very stressful time with little restriction and I HADN'T GAINED any weight, which in the past I would have easily gained 10 lbs.

I was still frustrated with the amount of weight I had lost on my last visit with my Dr. when he pointed out that not only had I not gained weight while stressed, but I was on steroid eye drops at a high dosage during that period and I really should have gained weight but was able to maintain. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that myself.

What I realized after all of this is I had reverted to my previous way of thinking, that I can't loose this weight, and that I started thinking that maybe this wouldn't work for me. I was focusing only on the numbers on the scale and not the big picture.

Now it's May, and at the end of April I was finally completely healthy again, I finished my term with a 4.0GPA (woohoo), and had my 3rd fill and finally got real restriction. I also bought a bodybugg, something I was putting off due to the cost, as an extra tool and a reward for surviving my semester. In the past 2 weeks I have finally seen movement on the scales and lost 4 lbs.

So the moral of the story is......things don't always work out the way you want. Sometimes things occur that are beyond your control and you need to re-evaluate what success looks like based on your actual circumstances. It's been almost 5 months and I've lost 20 lbs in total. I wish it were more but it's 4 lbs a month (1 lb a week) which is a healthy weight loss, something the lapband is intended to provide, not the rapid and (IMO) dangerous weight loss after bypass surgery. Logically I know this is true but part of my still needs convincing so I guess this email is to help convince myself as well as share with others.

Louise

This one has me thinking now..... Maybe thats why I have been at a stand still for 4 months. I have been getting steroid shots in by lower back.

It could be. I would check with your Dr. My drops probably wouldn't have been much of an issue except for the high dosage. When you think about it though, the steroids are entering your body and even though they are injected into one location at higher doses they have to have some effect systemically I would think.

I was still frustrated with the amount of weight I had lost on my last visit with my Dr. when he pointed out that not only had I not gained weight while stressed, but I was on steroid eye drops at a high dosage during that period and I really should have gained weight but was able to maintain. I can't believe I hadn't thought of that myself.

Didn't even think about the steroid eye drops I was on before my plastic surgery as maybe being part of the reason I didn't lose the last 2.5 pounds I was hoping to lose. Oh well, I am off of them now and waiting for the swelling to go down to see how much I really lost by way of the surgery.

Hi Louise,

Thanks for sharing your story. I could totally relate. I got banded on Feb 1 and that first month I lost the first 20 lbs... and I'm sure the reason was that I was on an all liquid diet. I got my first fill in March and didn't notice much of a difference. I ate my usual amount and it didn't seem to bother the band. When I went in for a checkup, I'd only lost 3 lbs. My doctor wasn't concerned and said that's still progress. I got my second fill in April. Once again, I didn't notice a difference in weight or the amount I could eat. I got really frustrated because the scale wasn't moving. So I did something that I shouldn't have. I completely gave up, returned to my old eating habits, grabbed junk food and sweets, and was so discouraged because I thought this whole thing was such a waste of my money. Well, I just went for my third fill and had gained 5 lbs. My doctor told me that's ok, but not to focus on the scale because it can backfire and be very discouraging. For the first time, I do feel some restriction and have made a commitment to myself to try harder. To focus on eating healthier and smaller portions and becoming more active. After all that's why I did the surgery..to make life-long changes, and not just to see the numbers on the scale. So thanks for reminding us all of the reality of Life. things happen that are beyond our control, but what we can control is how we react to them. So don't be discouraged. You, like myself, have to be patient with all of this. It's going to be a journey.

Arianna

PS. way to go on the 4.0. congrats. that's awesome and you should be so so proud of yourself.

It could be. I would check with your Dr. My drops probably wouldn't have been much of an issue except for the high dosage. When you think about it though, the steroids are entering your body and even though they are injected into one location at higher doses they have to have some effect systemically I would think.

Im going to make sure I dont get another for a while and see if there is a difference.

Denise, steroids really cause you to hold onto weight or gain weight.

Louise, you have been under a tremendous amount of stress and the steroids. Give yourself a pat on the back for surviving and a 4.0 GPA?? WOO HOO!!!! :lb10: That right there would have done me in due to the stress. ;)

Louise,

I am glad that you have been to get through this time. After all of this with your studies and infection you have pulled through.

I know that my weight loss looks good, but believe me when I say that I have really been struggling this last month. I sometimes think that my fill isn't where it should be but then if I eat like I should I can hardly get the meat down. I have really struggled with the sweets and desserts. They all go down so fine. So I have lapsed back to my old habits and need to make a change. My will power is weak and I need to get it back.

This is such a journey and right now it is hard. You have been through the hard part and are now focussed on the positive. Keep it up.

Anne

Hi Louise,

As you can see from my numbers, my journey has been slow as well, and about the same rate as yours. I definitely understand the frustration, especially when I see others' weight loss rates being twice as fast. But stress does cause the body to hold on to weight, and of course there is the steroids, both of which are valid explanations for the slower rate of weight loss. I'd say, as long as the scale keeps going down, albeit slowly, that is a good thing. I too have had to resign to a slower rate of weight loss, but at least that means it's safer and less likely to go back up. There is another thread on the board about the need to stop obsessing over everything and just live your life, and for me that made a big difference in my thinking and stress levels.

-Vangirl

Hi all

I have read lots of posts about people who are frustrated about the slow pace of their weight loss and I thought I would share a bit of my "battle" so far. I was banded on Dec 15 '08 and everything went amazingly well. I had no complications, very little discomfort and an easy trip back and forth from Mexico. It helped that as a student I had 3 full weeks to recuperate before I had anything major planned.

The day my 3 weeks of fluids was up I came down with what we thought was an eye infection. After several weeks I received a diagnosis of iritis which is an inflammatory disease that can really only be treated with steroids and anti-inflammatories. The condition effected my ability to read, and as a student finishing my 4 year of a BA in preparation for applying to grad school I was very stressed. It also had the potential to cause permanent damage or blindness (thankfully it didn't).

I had my first at the end of January and my second the beginning of March with very little movement on the scales. I had lost a total of 14lbs since my surgery, most of that on the post-op liquid diet. Thankfully my fill doctor pointed out that I had been going through a very stressful time with little restriction and I HADN'T GAINED any weight, which in the past I would have easily gained 10 lbs.

What I realized after all of this is I had reverted to my previous way of thinking, that I can't loose this weight, and that I started thinking that maybe this wouldn't work for me. I was focusing only on the numbers on the scale and not the big picture.

Now it's May, and at the end of April I was finally completely healthy again, I finished my term with a 4.0GPA (woohoo), and had my 3rd fill and finally got real restriction. I also bought a bodybugg, something I was putting off due to the cost, as an extra tool and a reward for surviving my semester. In the past 2 weeks I have finally seen movement on the scales and lost 4 lbs.

So the moral of the story is......things don't always work out the way you want. Sometimes things occur that are beyond your control and you need to re-evaluate what success looks like based on your actual circumstances. It's been almost 5 months and I've lost 20 lbs in total. I wish it were more but it's 4 lbs a month (1 lb a week) which is a healthy weight loss, something the lapband is intended to provide, not the rapid and (IMO) dangerous weight loss after bypass surgery. Logically I know this is true but part of my still needs convincing so I guess this email is to help convince myself as well as share with others.

Louise

I did find out yesterday that the meds im on does make you gain lots of weight. I had 1 shot of Kenalog in my back in January, Frebruary, March and April. I told the doctor I dont want any more I will do physical therapy instead and live with some pain if I have to. Well he looked into other non-steroidal meds for me and found on called Meloxicam. So we are going to try this for a while.

Hey Louise!

You are amazing! I'm still marveling at the 4.0--congratulations and "Way to go"! I worked with a lady that was on high-dose steroids for serious chronic asthma. She had always stated her hunger as "I could eat the chair--and the table". I agree that you did great by not gaining weight. Now that you are losing again--look out world!

Thank you again for the great information about the bodybugg. I can't wait until mine gets here.

Louise,

I am glad that you have been to get through this time. After all of this with your studies and infection you have pulled through.

I know that my weight loss looks good, but believe me when I say that I have really been struggling this last month. I sometimes think that my fill isn't where it should be but then if I eat like I should I can hardly get the meat down. I have really struggled with the sweets and desserts. They all go down so fine. So I have lapsed back to my old habits and need to make a change. My will power is weak and I need to get it back.

This is such a journey and right now it is hard. You have been through the hard part and are now focussed on the positive. Keep it up.

Anne

OH MY GOD Anne, I just got back from a conference and am reading these posts and I didn't recognize your picture!!!!!!!!! You look like a whole new person.

Thanks for your support. You are doing amazing!

I did find out yesterday that the meds im on does make you gain lots of weight. I had 1 shot of Kenalog in my back in January, Frebruary, March and April. I told the doctor I dont want any more I will do physical therapy instead and live with some pain if I have to. Well he looked into other non-steroidal meds for me and found on called Meloxicam. So we are going to try this for a while.

Wow, I'm glad you and your doctor figured something out. I've had back issues in the past and honestly the only thing that worked for me was exercise. hopefully everything will work out.

Louise