New With Questions

Hi!!! I'm new to the forum. I haven't had my surgery yet, it's scheduled for June 22. I'm excited, scared and everything in between. My doctor has been great at answering my questions. I've been reading the posts here for awhile and went in with a laundry list of questions for him. One of the things I was unclear about was when I can lift my daughter. She's 16 months old and weighs about 25 pounds. Thankfully, I'll have help the first three days, but my husband has to go back to work after that. Should I plan on a longer period of not being able to lift her? Also, for the first few days would I be more comfortable in loose fitting nightgowns and dresses? I imagine that a waistband wouldn't be comfy. Thanks!!

You should plan on not being able to lift heavy things for 6 weeks. Lifting too early can cause a slip and even if it doesn't, will delay your healing process and make things unduly difficult for you.

As for clothes I wouldn't wear tight jeans but I was wearing my normal clothes once I was released.

Hi!!! I'm new to the forum. I haven't had my surgery yet, it's scheduled for June 22. I'm excited, scared and everything in between. My doctor has been great at answering my questions. I've been reading the posts here for awhile and went in with a laundry list of questions for him. One of the things I was unclear about was when I can lift my daughter. She's 16 months old and weighs about 25 pounds. Thankfully, I'll have help the first three days, but my husband has to go back to work after that. Should I plan on a longer period of not being able to lift her? Also, for the first few days would I be more comfortable in loose fitting nightgowns and dresses? I imagine that a waistband wouldn't be comfy. Thanks!!

I was released with the instructions not to lift over 25 lbs. My son is 17 mos and is 24 lbs. I lifted him and did fine. I limited my lifting as much as possible, but as you know sometimes you don't have much choice. I was not very soar or in pain after the surgery, one of the blessed ones who comes out feeling great!

I brought comfortable cloths. The waist band won't matter really as your incisions are higher up.

I went back to work yesterday (1 week post op) and I just sitting for long periods of time and bending over I was in alot of discomfort! I didnt even carry or lift! So take it easy. I had to do alot of walking to ease the pain.

That was the only question I asked Dr. Ortiz before surgery because I am a physical therapist and was returning to work only 4 days after surgery. I have to lift people daily. He said as long as you are physically used to the lifting then you should be ok. He basically told me not to worry about it. I don't know if I have slipped my band or not because I didn't have a fill yet but I'm not too worried.

Both my kids got really sick right after my surgery and I had to lift them (both about 40 pounds) and I was so worried but I recently had my band checked and it looked perfect!!! Just limit the lifting as much as you can.

Sabrina:)

When I had my surgery, I had a 22 month old and a 6 month old and I lifted them both fine. Of course, you know your body best and you'll know if there's major pain or discomfort. If so, then take it easy. You'll be sore for a few days but I was also one of the lucky ones. After I came home, I went back to my normal routine.

As far as clothes, you can wear anything because like someone stated earlier, the incisions are higher up, above your belly button.

I'm assuming you haven't joined the Kuwaiti tradition of having a live in housemaid. LOL!!!

Arianna

When I had my surgery, I had a 22 month old and a 6 month old and I lifted them both fine. Of course, you know your body best and you'll know if there's major pain or discomfort. If so, then take it easy. You'll be sore for a few days but I was also one of the lucky ones. After I came home, I went back to my normal routine.

As far as clothes, you can wear anything because like someone stated earlier, the incisions are higher up, above your belly button.

I'm assuming you haven't joined the Kuwaiti tradition of having a live in housemaid. LOL!!!

Arianna

Nope, can't handle a live in. Too many cooks in the kitchen. She only comes 5 days a week during the day.