my port hurts

im on day 11 of post-op.. and i know im still healing.. all the glue hasn't even fallen off. so i know im still tender. but, since i went back to work the incision where the port is, hurts a little bit.. it goes and comes but it hurts. i used a hot patch last night and it really helped. is this normal or should i call the occ?

im on day 11 of post-op.. and i know im still healing.. all the glue hasn't even fallen off. so i know im still tender. but, since i went back to work the incision where the port is, hurts a little bit.. it goes and comes but it hurts. i used a hot patch last night and it really helped. is this normal or should i call the occ?

That's very normal. I experienced port area pain for some time after surgery. Then, when I started swimming at the appropriate time, it REALLY hurt because the muscles in that area were being used. I'm 6 months out now and don't experience very much pain there anymore. Give yourself time to heal. It will take a few weeks, so don't worry. Red

That's very normal. I experienced port area pain for some time after surgery. Then, when I started swimming at the appropriate time, it REALLY hurt because the muscles in that area were being used. I'm 6 months out now and don't experience very much pain there anymore. Give yourself time to heal. It will take a few weeks, so don't worry. Red

thank you.. that helped.

I am 10 months out and have been experiencing port pain. It is not that bad though, but I do realize more often that my port is there. Before I never really thought about it. My good friend was banded almost two years ago and she gets port pain quite often. She often takes a pain reliever like aleve to help.

I couldn't bend over from the waist for two weeks after surgery (the pain was intense), but then it got better and better. I had asked Dr. Martinez about this because I wanted to know how soon I could get back to ab workouts. He explained that there will be scar tissue around the port. At first it is hard, and then over time it softens up. I started to ease back into my ab work about 2 months after surgery because it felt like I could. I think Dr. Martinez told me to wait about 6 weeks. I hardly ever have any pain there, except sometimes I think I may have strained the muscles there by doing something and not being warmed up. It also helps me to sit up straight when I 'm working.

I'm still hesitating on doing a full pilates class yet, but I think I'll be ready for that in a few weeks - which is about 4 months after being banded.

I did have a good excuse for getting out of cat box duty for a few weeks though : )

Margie

I am 1 1/2 years out and I have pain today from shoveling the driveway. I also get it when I bend over to scrub the bathtub and things like that. It is reminding me that its there! :)

Darlin if you're still sporting open incisions, you should avoid heat. It causes inflammation and can encourage bacteria. While you still have open wounds, you're better off with an ice pack wrapped in a clean cloth. You'll heal faster if the area is clean, dry, and cool. You can also dab the areas with antibiotic ointment. When you're all healed up, you can use this cheap and awesome heat pack trick:

Get a clean cotton tube sock and fill it about 1/2 full with dry brown rice (the extra coating holds heat better.) Tie a knot in the end of the sock to keep the rice in.

Then put the rice sock into a big ziplock bag. Close the bag only halfway and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes.

The rice soaks up moisture from the air and releases it into your tissues when heated. You always want moist heat, because dry heat will desiccate your tissues like my brother's Thanksgiving turkey.

Loves!

Lindsay

Darlin if you're still sporting open incisions, you should avoid heat. It causes inflammation and can encourage bacteria. While you still have open wounds, you're better off with an ice pack wrapped in a clean cloth. You'll heal faster if the area is clean, dry, and cool. You can also dab the areas with antibiotic ointment. When you're all healed up, you can use this cheap and awesome heat pack trick:

Get a clean cotton tube sock and fill it about 1/2 full with dry brown rice (the extra coating holds heat better.) Tie a knot in the end of the sock to keep the rice in.

Then put the rice sock into a big ziplock bag. Close the bag only halfway and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes.

The rice soaks up moisture from the air and releases it into your tissues when heated. You always want moist heat, because dry heat will desiccate your tissues like my brother's Thanksgiving turkey.

Loves!

Lindsay

thank youu sooo much!

Hi,

I had the same pain and used a heating pad at night. It last a few about a week but all is good now. OCC on call doctor is told me to use the heating pad :wub: