BAND SLAMMED SHUT...AGAIN

WELL WEVE SLAMMED SHUT AGAIN, IT'S BEEN JUST OVER A YEAR SINCE THIS HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME.

LAST WEEK I HAD JUST HORRIBLE ACID REFLUX, PRILOSEC WASNT TOUCHING IT. I DIDNT RECOGNIZED SYMPTOMS OF THE BAND TIGHTENING TILL THIS WEEK WHEN EVEN WATER WASNT GOING DOWN. I HEADED IN FOR AN UNFILL UNDER FLUOROSCOPY THIS MORNING. I HAVE A SLIGHT POUCHING ON ONE SIDE OF THE BAND. IM WAITING ON A CALL BACK NOW FROM THE OCC AS THEY RECOMMENDED I BE SEEN BY DR ORTIZ TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING OK. I HAD 1.7 cc IN A 4cc BAND. I NOW AM AT .4 DRINKING LOTS OF WATER :)

DOLITTLE, ANY INFO YET ON WHY WHEN AT GOAL OR CLOSE TO IT, LESS IS NEEDED?

This also happens to me from time to time. I am currently just under my goal weight, and have been maintaining for 5 months. Every once in a while (like every 2-3 months) I will have a day or 2 of reflux, solids go down hard and I PB. Usually I take zantac 150mg twice a day, and Maalox. Stick to mushies and sip water all day and it passes. I agree - what's up with this? I haven't had a fill or unfill in close to a year. 1.8cc in a 4cc band. Any ideas anyone?

AFTER SEVERAL PHONE CALLED TO THE OCC FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS, I FINALLY CALLED THIS MORNING AGAIN AND TALKED TO DR SO

SINCE I HAVE NO MORE SYMPTOMS OF ACID RELUX, IT WAS A SLIGHT POUCHING, I AM TO GO ON FULL LIQUIDS FOR 5 DAYS, WHICH I HAVE BEEN, THEN START UP AGAIN ON SOLIDS.

I'LL MAKE A TRIP DOWN SOUTH AGAIN NOW IN 3 - 4 WEEKS TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHINGS STILL IN PLACE IF NO MORE PROBLEMS ARISE SOONER :)

DOLITTLE IS STILL WORKING ON HEARING FROM ALLERGAN, THANKS!!!

Pammie - thanks for the update. I've been thinking about you and your naughty band with a temper tantrum. I hope Dolittle diggs up some information. Funny how this was not one of the "side effects" while researching. Not that it would have made a whole lot of difference.

That sucks that it took them so long to return your call. Glad you got to talk with someone though.

Pammie!

I agreee with Angie, Thanks for the update! I have a total unfill right now from my surgery and I have been amazed at myself. I really thought I would go overboard, but honestly I am eating the same amounts...Im not sure if it is from me having surgery and everthing being really tight and swollen or from taking meds, maybe no appt or that this is just the amount I can eat and be ok with, whatever it is Im really glad!

Please keep up update on your pouch. I SO hope everything is ok! You have done SOOOOoooo Awesome through this process!

Carrie

THANKS GUYS :) SO FAR I'M REALLY NOT HUNGRY. I'VE BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH NOW FOR SOMETIME, A FEW YEARS ACTUALLY ABOUT HAVING A COMPLETE UNFILL SO WE'LL SEE HOW THIS GOES. I DIDN'T FEEL THAT MUCH WAS IN THERE TO HARDLY BOTHER WITH. IT'S SCARY THINKING THE WEIGHT COULD POSSIBLY COME BACK ON, EEECK LOL

IT WAS A LITTLE DISHEARTENING I DIDN'T GET A CALL BACK BUT THEN I WAS JUST CALLING THE MAIN LINE AND NOT A CELL BEING I DIDN'T FEEL IT WAS AN EMERGENCY BUT STILL... A DR WILL CALL YOU BACK TONIGHT, A DR WILL CALL YOU IN 20 MIN, ONE WILL CALL AFTER THEY GET OUT OF SURGERY... WASN'T UNTIL I CALLED AGAIN THIS MORNING DID I GET TO SPEAK TO A DR

Whenever I have called, there is an automated message that includes a number you can pres for the doctor on call. It will forward to a doctor's cell and they have always answered right away and never seem put out that you are calling. Just press that option...that's what they are there for.

Feel better soon!

Sabrina:)

Can someone give me a good explanation of what acid reflux feels like? I have never had it, but I am afraid I might be recently. I am waking up in the morning with what feels like a sore throat but it is more like this burning sensation in my throat. It is mostly in the morning and goes away, but I have it now and again later in the day. Any ideas??

Ohhh Pammie, I'm so sorry - right now mine is off due to the surgery - its something I'm trying to watch right now.

And for me it feels like the acid travels from the stomach to the esophagus and causes a burning pain. You can feel it traveling up, sometimes it feels like gas. Its odd - it does differ per person. But from what you described, it sounds like it.

Take care Pammie and let me know!

Lisa

In a conversation I had with Dr. Martinez a couple of days ago when my wife was being banded, he told me that it's not really heartburn/acid reflux we experience when the band is too tight. He called it food stasis (food stays in the pouch instead of going through to the stomach like it's supposed to). I had been having problems and had to have a couple of cc's removed. Dr. Martinez is really a great source of information on this topic. I'd suggest that anyone having problems contact him. He said that usually the only way to resolve the problem is via an unfill. Generally they have to remove between .5 to 1 cc minimum.

WELL WE’VE SLAMMED SHUT AGAIN, IT'S BEEN JUST OVER A YEAR SINCE THIS HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME.

LAST WEEK I HAD JUST HORRIBLE ACID REFLUX, PRILOSEC WASN’T TOUCHING IT. I DIDN’T RECOGNIZED SYMPTOMS OF THE BAND TIGHTENING TILL THIS WEEK WHEN EVEN WATER WASN’T GOING DOWN. I HEADED IN FOR AN UNFILL UNDER FLUOROSCOPY THIS MORNING. I HAVE A SLIGHT POUCHING ON ONE SIDE OF THE BAND. I’M WAITING ON A CALL BACK NOW FROM THE OCC AS THEY RECOMMENDED I BE SEEN BY DR ORTIZ TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING OK. I HAD 1.7 cc IN A 4cc BAND. I NOW AM AT .4 DRINKING LOTS OF WATER :)

DOLITTLE, ANY INFO YET ON WHY WHEN AT GOAL OR CLOSE TO IT, LESS IS NEEDED?

craziness. I had my band slam shut about a month ago for nearly a week. I am thinking of heading to Olympia to get things checked out myself and also doing band test.

Fortunately, I have those glorious anti-nauseal pills that Lisal told me to get which TOTALLY help with acid reflux, I would be up the creek without a paddle at times because it seems like the smaller I am getting, the more acidy I get. I have also noticed that when I 'slouch' in the middle (not paying attention to crappy posture) I get REALLY crampy in my gut.

keep us posted. I am really glad I read this.

C

• Like 1

THANKS DANA, I'M FEELING JUST FINE NOW :) I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS ON THIS TIGHTENING AND MUCH LESS OF A FILL AT GOAL BUT THOSE QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED IT LOOKS LIKE IN TIME

GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK ON

I recently got an unfill. I probably (most definitely) waited too long. I wasnt PB'ing all the time, but I was eating slider foods. Which caused no weight gain, but no weight loss. I feel so much better since my unfill and feel great about 2010 and getting to goal! :) I have learned--that it definitely takes getting used to (the band) & with trial an error, we learn. :)

• Like 1

I recently got an unfill. I probably (most definitely) waited too long. I wasnt PB'ing all the time, but I was eating slider foods. Which caused no weight gain, but no weight loss. I feel so much better since my unfill and feel great about 2010 and getting to goal! smile.gif I have learned--that it definitely takes getting used to (the band) & with trial an error, we learn. smile.gif

Dana - it is trial and error. I couldn't agree with you more. I called yesterday to cancel an upcoming fill apt. I don't need a stinking fill. I need to work on head hunger. My fill is good where it is at. The foods I eat, other than breakfast are hard protein. So I am on track there. I've been on the sugar bus though....grrr I love sugar and my body is alergic to it.

Ohhh Pammie, I'm so sorry - right now mine is off due to the surgery - its something I'm trying to watch right now.

And for me it feels like the acid travels from the stomach to the esophagus and causes a burning pain. You can feel it traveling up, sometimes it feels like gas. Its odd - it does differ per person. But from what you described, it sounds like it.

Take care Pammie and let me know!

Lisa

Thanks yeah that definitely sounds like me! My last fill was over 2 mos ago and i've felt fine but last week I felt more restriction. I only have PB'ed twice, but one was pretty bad. I thought the restriction was from being sick, but it's still there.

I get food down fine I just need to be wayyy more careful. I'm eating right now and taking it slow but definitely have "the gurgles". It's just so odd how it suddenly comes on that long after a fill. Crazy!

I'm definitely gonna try some meds for the reflux...it's not bad, but i've never had it so that is why I wondered. If it doesn't go away I might go in for a check up. Thanks!

I had a 1cc un-fill today before leaving on vacation. I've been pretty tight, and tend to get tighter on vacation. It was amazing to see the contrast material just sit in the pouch and not move until peristalsis (the normal contractions of the GI tract to move food along) pushed it through the stoma. What I was feeling as the gurgles or reflux, was peristalsis pushing food or liquid through. It didn't seem to move along without that little push. Now with 1cc in my 4cc band I can drink without sounding like a sink unclogging with every sip. Was told to do liquids for 24 hrs as my esophagus was very slightly dialated. I feel great and really well hydrated for the first time in a while.

I got a fill in November and had the acid reflux so bad that they unfilled for a couple of weeks. Now, three months later I'm miserable with it again. Went to my primary care doctor and got a prescription for nexium. Three days have gone by and still miserable. I don't know if it has anything to do with the band or not. Probably.

New Dawn

I got a fill in November and had the acid reflux so bad that they unfilled for a couple of weeks. Now, three months later I'm miserable with it again. Went to my primary care doctor and got a prescription for nexium. Three days have gone by and still miserable. I don't know if it has anything to do with the band or not. Probably.

New Dawn

DAWN, DID THEY DO A COMPLETE UNFILL? IF SO, GO IN AGAIN ASAP

DAWN, DID THEY DO A COMPLETE UNFILL? IF SO, GO IN AGAIN ASAP

Thanks for the info. I talked to Dr So last night and he said the same thing. He also said that it could be a sign of band slippage. I wish the fill centers did the fills with fluorescope. He wants me to get a total unfill and then come to Mexico in 4 to 5 weeks to have them check it out. I live in Florida so that's a long way to go. We have a doctor here that will do it, but it's really expensive. I'm not sure what to do, but I will try and get unfilled on Monday. It's going to be a long weekend because I've only gotten about 9 hours of sleep in 4 days. When I lay down everything comes up.

New Dawn

Thanks for the info. I talked to Dr So last night and he said the same thing. He also said that it could be a sign of band slippage. I wish the fill centers did the fills with fluorescope. He wants me to get a total unfill and then come to Mexico in 4 to 5 weeks to have them check it out. I live in Florida so that's a long way to go. We have a doctor here that will do it, but it's really expensive. I'm not sure what to do, but I will try and get unfilled on Monday. It's going to be a long weekend because I've only gotten about 9 hours of sleep in 4 days. When I lay down everything comes up.

New Dawn

KEEP HYDRATED!!!

I think it is quit weird that the band slams shut...What I have noticed that if I don't drink enough fluids before I attempt solids it just won't plain go down. Sometimes I neglect to drink enough and I get reminded ever so lovely by my band that...dip *hit you can't eat that right now!!! THE BAND WILL ALWAYS WIN!

I also had a small unfill, and I have started to lose again. Stopped slider foods, and I have been kicking my self for not following the rules to the extent that I should of.

Kim :blink:

• 1 month later...

IT'S BEEN JUST OVER 6 WEEKS SINCE I WAS TOLD I HAD SLIGHT POUCHING. TODAY I WENT IN TO HAVE A FLUOROSCOPY DONE, ACTUALLY TWICE. ONCE TO MAKE SURE THAT POUCHING HAD GONE AND ANOTHER TO MAKE SURE THAT THE .2cc THEY ADDED WASN'T TOO MUCH. I NOW HAVE .6cc IN A 4.0cc BAND WHICH SHOULD BE PERFECT :)

ANY NEWS DOLITTLE? :)

This fill/unfill business is a big pain in the butt. I was scheduled for a small fill Monday and, wouldn't you know it, I had a bad stuck episode last night?! I've been able to eat whatever I want for weeks (even bread and pasta) but during my dinner party last night I couldn't get in more than two bites of salmon before feeling like it was going to come back up. In fact, I felt it sitting in my pouch all night while I was "trying" to sleep. I still feel pressure on my chest this morning. I'm going to do 24-hours of liquids and cancel the fill. FRUSTRATED.

Sabrina:)