When can you resume abdominal exercises?

Hi there. I was banded exactly one month ago yesterday. I've lost 15 lbs since surgery and am doing well with eating solid foods. I remember reading that exercise can be resumed at 3 wks post op but not abdominal exercises. The DVD I use (Slim in Six) works the abs quite a bit so it would be impossible to separate the ab stuff from the rest, so I just havent been exercising :D

I am having a fill @OCC in a week, so I will ask then, but I was curious, when did everyone resume ab exercises? I still have some twinges of tenderness at my port site but otherwise feel normal again.

Thanks.

Hi there. I was banded exactly one month ago yesterday. I've lost 15 lbs since surgery and am doing well with eating solid foods. I remember reading that exercise can be resumed at 3 wks post op but not abdominal exercises. The DVD I use (Slim in Six) works the abs quite a bit so it would be impossible to separate the ab stuff from the rest, so I just havent been exercising :D

I am having a fill @OCC in a week, so I will ask then, but I was curious, when did everyone resume ab exercises? I still have some twinges of tenderness at my port site but otherwise feel normal again.

Thanks.

Hi Dama, I was told 90 days til abs could be exercised. I used to lift a lot and most exercises will work your abs a little. I use a program called Barrys Bootcamp. I like this one because it's pretty quick and harder than it looks when you start. It to has a lot of ab work so I;m just going to walk until 90 days are up. I'm just walking a lot. Also, There are these things called kettle bells that are really great for just about anything especially abs. We were banded 17 days apart(4/19 for me). Good luck on your journey and keep us posted. TC RCR

Hi,

Sounds like your right around the same time as I am..I am getting my first fill this Friday..I walked until this past Saturday, when I re-started my aqua aerobics..I too was told 90 days for abs. I did modified abs in the water which seemed to work ok..I will be asking that same question when I go this week..Good luck with your first fill...

Thanks guys. Good to know.

Michelle, since you started back up on solids, are you feeling restriction? If not, have you been finding it kinda hard to follow the rules of chewing and eating super slow?

At first I was good but now ehhh. I guess once I get restriction I'll have to be better, but for now, its business as usual. Just curious :)

One more question, what doc quoted you $700 for fils?

I THINK THAT INFORMATION WAS ON THE DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS THAT WERE GIVIN TO YOU WHEN YOU LEFT THE OCC. I THINK 90 DAYS SOUNDS CORRECT.. THEY DON'T WANT THE BAND OR PORT TO MOVE SINCE THEY ARE HEALING IN PLACE. TO MUCH TORK ON YOUR MUSCLES COULD MOVE THEM...I WOULD WAIT 90 DAYS, OR ASK WHEN YOU GO IN FOR YOUR FILLS

KIM :rolleyes:

Hi there, just thought I'd update. I went in for my first fill yesterday. The fluoro was cool, it let me know there really was a band in there!!

Got 5.4ccs and not planning my next fill til July is my guess, as I'll be on vacation in June and wont be able to take much time off.

As far as abdominal exercise, Dr. So advised me that starting a few days after my first fill I could gradually begin introducing ab exercises, just nothing too extreme and to stop if I feel discomfort or any pain. So in about a week I'll resume my exercise tapes (slim in six) which include ab exercises and just see how it goes.

Im on my way :D

Hi there, just thought I'd update. I went in for my first fill yesterday. The fluoro was cool, it let me know there really was a band in there!!

Got 5.4ccs and not planning my next fill til July is my guess, as I'll be on vacation in June and wont be able to take much time off.

As far as abdominal exercise, Dr. So advised me that starting a few days after my first fill I could gradually begin introducing ab exercises, just nothing too extreme and to stop if I feel discomfort or any pain. So in about a week I'll resume my exercise tapes (slim in six) which include ab exercises and just see how it goes.

Im on my way :D

Hi! Curious to know how your first fill went. I was banded on April 23rd and am almost done with the liquid stage. Could you tell a difference after your fill?

I think so... but Im not sure yet. Dr So asked me to do two days of liquids before resuming full solids. That was today, so here's what I had:

1 oz walnuts for breakfast

1/2 cup cottage cheese for lunch

1.5 oz mozzarella as a snack while cooking

half of a super thin ribeye steak, about 2 - 2.5oz + 1 cup roasted butternut squash cubes for dinner

I dont "feel" restriction, but what the hell do I know anyway! :) Im shocked that a large handful of walnuts kept me full from 830a to 130p. Shocker! Maybe it is restriction. Dunno. The book I read said that you may feel restriction right after ur first fill but it quickly fades back to no restriction. Only time will tell.

Hang in there with the liquid diet, fight the urge to cheat! Youre almost done!! Tomorrow solids, right?? WOOHOO!