What happens now?

crazymomma

Ok so my 21 day liquid diet is over in a couple days! Do I eat normal solid food, not mushy? Also, I know some say you still feel a restriction and some say they could eat everything in sight. Do I stay on a calorie counter and if so, what amount do I stick to? Any other advice for us coming off the liquid diet?? Thanks

Woo hoo! 21 days nearly OVER! Woo hoo! Doc Ortiz say solids not mushies. Remember to eat slowly and chew chew chew. I'd say watch your calories.

Ok Thanks. Will I have trouble swallowing at first if I don't chew, chew \, chew? Just not for sure if I will feel restriction or not....confused???

Crazy, First congrats on getting through liquids. I started back on solids on 5/10. I agree with Angie in chew chew chew. I can only speak for myself, but I ate to fast once and found out why you chew your food good. I PBd hard and that sucks. I now make sure I chew well and take small bites. Try softer foods first, I had 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast a protein shake for lunch and a cornish game hen and broccoli for supper and drank 2liters of water. I really did not figure restriction out until I started solids I'm sure its different for everyone. TC RCR

Hi Momma. I had no problem eating whatever I wanted after the post-op diet. Steak, cheese, bread, whatever. I had zero restriction. So I contacted Dr Miranda and got the go ahead to continue with my pre-op diet (low carb) so i wouldnt gain too much and/or starve to death :) she said no problem. I didnt encounter any restriction until after my first fill. I havent PB'd yet, but I have gotten stuck three times, once with steak, and twice while chomping on big chunks of cheese. Im still learning the tiny bite thing; old habits die hard. I have to FORCE myself to slow down and really work on the bite sizes. Its a learning curve and you wont know where on the spectrum of restriction you are until you give it a shot. I'd say try to eat your normal stuff and dont put foods onto your off-limits list until you've tried them at least more than once.

enjoy your first meal back and best of luck w the rest of your journey.

btw, do continue to keep a calorie journal, just so you can see how much you really are able to eat. i would suggest really testing your band, see how little you can eat and feel satisfied with. it surprised me.

~dama

Ok so my 21 day liquid diet is over in a couple days! Do I eat normal solid food, not mushy? Also, I know some say you still feel a restriction and some say they could eat everything in sight. Do I stay on a calorie counter and if so, what amount do I stick to? Any other advice for us coming off the liquid diet?? Thanks

You Made It!!!

Congrats for being off of that post-0p diet! I was infomred to chew chew chew...and to take small bites. It seemed to easy so I became careless a couple of times and then I found out why they tell you to chew chew and chew...take small bites and eat slowly. I learned the hard way. For me the very first meal was confusing. I had this "uncomfortable feeling" not stuck, not PBing, just not a good feeling. People on this site pointed me in the right direction...start with softer foods, and gradually work your way up to the real solid foods. I can eat almost anything except bread. I have just had my first fill on the 18th of this month. I won't even try bread now and that is one of my favorites. Some people can eat bread but I am not one of them. So...to make this shorter (I do ramble), set your own pace by learning with each meal. Ask questions from some of these seasoned bandsters and you will find the way that works best for you. Oh...one more thing. I watch my calorie intake as well. I have a weakness for ice cream so I don't even keep it in the house.

Good Luck,

Appy

I wasn't given a calorie amount, but was told should be eating 1/3 of what I used to. I wanted to say, do you know how much I ate!? :)

I would just start with your protein then go to veggies fruits then if you are still hungry eat some starches. If you chew well and eat really slow you will see that you can eat much less than before. Like everyone said you are just going to have to test the waters and see what you can handle everyone is different.

Good luck!!

Congrats!

I was where you were not so long ago...my whole purpose for the band was to be able to eat like a normal person just smaller amounts. What I have found is that due to the band I need more protein and water, also liquid vitamins. Then I started a food journal for the purpose of knowing what I can't eat due to the band and how it feels. Take your time, chew everything, feel how you respond, and I too keep journal and found counts on CalKing. I have continued to slowly loose weight but most important for myself is being able to eat "normally" and not go on any crazy diets...also there are some really good books out there like "dummies guide to living with weight loss surgery" which also gives some good pointers...it's a journey, but enjoy it...

I've heard the "eat protein first" then whatever else afterwards - but does anyone have the issue of not being able to eat after protein? I eat protein first and then there is no room left for anything else. I guess this is restriction.

• 4 weeks later...