Lap Band - 4 years later

I had lap band surgery from Dr. Ortiz April 4 years ago and I have gained back all but 20 pounds from when I had my surgery and now would like to either have it removed or find out if anyone else has had this issue. I really want it to work and it worked beautifully for the first 2 years then slowly everything started failing.

Annette Ballew

Hi Ballew,

Did you keep up with your fills? As you lose weight, the fat around your stomach disappears and your band loosens up. Perhaps that is part of the issue?

Don't give up!

Hi ButterflyBandita! Thanks for the reply....

Yes, I did and I had the appropriate fills I even think one of them was too tight but I kept it so I could lose the weight even faster. Maybe that was the problem.

Ballew,

I would love to hear more about your experience with the band and any experiences of those banded for more than 1 year. The challenges of those with long term bands are different than the newly banded. I have had my band 19 months now, and have been at goal for about a year. I fluctuate 3 lbs, but can see that my eating habits have changed, and worry that the weight will just gradually start creeping back. Any long banded people out there?

Ballew,

I would love to hear more about your experience with the band and any experiences of those banded for more than 1 year. The challenges of those with long term bands are different than the newly banded. I have had my band 19 months now, and have been at goal for about a year. I fluctuate 3 lbs, but can see that my eating habits have changed, and worry that the weight will just gradually start creeping back. Any long banded people out there?

THE WEIGHT WON'T COME BACK ON IF YOU DON'T LET IT. YOU HAVE THE TOOL, USE IT IN GOOD HEALTH. I'M ALSO 4 YEARS OUT AND WOULDN'T DREAM OF LIVING WITHOUT IT. I HAVE VERY LITTLE FILL, .8? IN A 4cc BAND WHICH JUST BARELY KEEPS ME IN CHECK

I certainly don't know your specific situation, but I have to wonder if you have also slipped back into your old eating habits. If you are still eating right and exercising, I would be surprised that would gain almost all of the weight back. Just because we get to our goal doesn't mean we can revert back to our old ways.

Ballew,

Well actually thats exactly what happened. It slowly 3 pounds here inched back up. Now I lost 50 lbs total but have already gained back 30lbs. I loved the lapband and am still wanting it to continue working.

I am almost 2 years out and here are my two cents. I have caught myself a couple times allowing old habits to sneak back in. You would think after all this time i'd not have those cravings and urges but they don't ever totally go away. My trick is to go back like it is day 1 on solids - follow all those rules we were taught. I also keep a picture of me at my heaviest with me to remind myself how I used to be and refuse to let myself get back to that point.

I encourage you to not give up on the band - it works but you have to remember it is a tool and only can do so much of the work we must do the rest. Stick with it and get back to basics - come in here and post regularly and it will help you a lot. I see many veterans that start fading out of here and I refuse to do that because this site keeps me accountable.

Best of luck and any way we can help utilize us!!!

• Like 1