Returning to Work

Hello,

I have scheduled my surgery for Sept with DR Ortiz in TJ. I have some questions regarding going back to work 7 days post-op. I am a nurse and am on my feet for 8 hours. My job permits no "light duty" and if something were to delay my speedy return to work, would I need a note from DR Ortiz or my PCP at home? Could I be fired? Would I qualify for sick leave under California law? I suppose that may be a question for my HR department, but my PCP has not been consulted about my decision to go to Mexico and get a lap band. I feel like it's a dirty little secret, but one that I wouldn't want to not have.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has an experience, advice, or information to share on this topic...Returning to "normal activities" in 7 days post-op vs. needing more time and working it out with their employers.

Love and Success!

Gina

Being a nurse, I imagine that you do an amount of lifting during the day. I remember being told that we were not suppose to lift over a certain amount for a certain amount of time.

The OCC is available at all times to answer these kind of questions. Email your patient co-ordinator and she will direct your questions. I have to lift heavy record books at my job in the County Courthouse. I know that I did not lift any of those for awhile. The books weigh between 30 and 40lbs. I would recommend that you ask OCC.

i was able to walk and move around fine within days.. the only setback is that you can't lift more than 15 lbs and it the scars were still tender so it hurt to bend a little. you should probably talk to your HR department or call the OCC for a "doctor's note"

Hi Gina,

I am a dental clinician and I went back to work in three days..in hindsight I would have given myself a week. I let HR know that I was having surgery (didn't give details) and would need light duty for a couple of weeks..the advance warning worked. I was on my feet and that was not a problem the bending was a bit uncomfortable and I did not lift anything heavy for a month..Good luck!

By law, any US company who employees 35 or more people has to give you up to 12 weeks of Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) per 12 months. They have to guarantee your pay but can change your position or title. I know my company requires that paperwork to be filled out if you are out past 5 consecutive days. That paperwork could easily be filled out by the OCC if needed.

With all that being said, I had my surgery on Thursday and went back to work on Monday. Granted I have an office job, but I think I could have done any job I was accustomed to at that point.

Hello,

I have scheduled my surgery for Sept with DR Ortiz in TJ. I have some questions regarding going back to work 7 days post-op. I am a nurse and am on my feet for 8 hours. My job permits no "light duty" and if something were to delay my speedy return to work, would I need a note from DR Ortiz or my PCP at home? Could I be fired? Would I qualify for sick leave under California law? I suppose that may be a question for my HR department, but my PCP has not been consulted about my decision to go to Mexico and get a lap band. I feel like it's a dirty little secret, but one that I wouldn't want to not have.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has an experience, advice, or information to share on this topic...Returning to "normal activities" in 7 days post-op vs. needing more time and working it out with their employers.

Love and Success!

Gina

Hello,

Love and Success!

Gina

Well I'm a respiratory therapist n do 12 hrs like you I was banded june 25 n went back to work july 2nd 7days later! I was ok lil sore cuz I got slammed that night but nothing I couldn't handle I just couldn't help nurses with pull ups! You will be fine n I went back to work the next nite! Good luck

I had my surgery on a monday and went back to work (in a spa) on Thursday. I didn't do massage, but waxing, pedicures etc with only minor pain. I guess if you weren't ready you could always be sick with the flu! lol.