Banded on May 17, 2005

Hi Beannie,

First let me say congratulations on taking the first step to a new & healtiher you by getting your band. May 17th is just around the corner, 1 week from today.

Secondly, it is totally normal to be anxious but beleive me when I tell you, you have nothing to worry about. Dr. Ortiz and his entire staff will take such great care of you, you are in such experienced hands, Obesity Control Center is ran like a well oiled machine. Everyone on his staff speaks perfect English, the hospital is a very nice facility and the hotel is beautiful, even the hotel staff will make sure your every need is met.

Just be patient, Mexico has their own time schedule, bring a book for the day of pre op tests, you will most likely be waiting around some, bring some Gas X and some liquid tylenol, do not pack much in the way of clothing , pack light. Any other questions you have, please feel free to send me a message or email me, I will be happy to answer any questions I can for you :)

Good Luck and please post once you are home and feeling up to it, I wouldlove to hear about your experience.

Hello Beannie,

I am right there with you. I am being banded on May 20th and arriving on the 19th so we might run into each other at the Hotel. I also appreciate any advice people can give me on what to expect and what I should bring. My mom is coming with me and wondering if she'll be going with me to my pre op appointments or staying at the hotel. I'm starting to get a little anxious but mostly excited. PS, what is pbing.

My husband did not go with me for my pre op tests, there were 4 of being banded the same day so we all grouped up together while our spouses stayed back at the hotel.

Pack light, you do not need much

Gas X

Adult strength liquid tylenol

A book for waiting time during pre op tests.

I took a back pack of snacks for my husband and it worked out great for him.

I took a bra with no underwire since one of the incisions is near the bra line

slippers to walk the halls after surgery.

PBing is stands for Productive Burp or Painful Burp, it is when you take too big of a bite or do not chew your bite enough or you do not wait in between bites and it gets stuck. You will have horrible pain in your chest like a golf ball is stuck, your mouth will start to water and you will produce slime until the piece of food either passes through the band or comes up. It is not a pleasant experience, you will only do it once or twice and you will learn to chew and take small bites and wait in between taking another bite.

I have been banded for 13 months and have PBed 4 times. It has been about 6 months since I PBed last

As you get tighter with your fills it is easier to PB, so be careful, start to practice chewing real good and small bites now to get used to it, it will help for when you do have your band and whatever you do, DO NOT try to drink water or any liquids to wash it down, I learned that lesson the hard way too, it makes it even more painful.

Good Luck to You on your upcoming surgery, You are in good hands Dr. Ortiz and his staff are the best! :)

What is there for my huspend to do, I don't want him to be bored the whole time we are there, any special advice for what not to do or where not to go? Or anyhing fun to do post -op? and how long are you there for pre-op testing?

My family (all the kids and DH came. They like the pool (but we thought it was cool)- we walked to the curtural museum the day after surgery and that was great. They have an IMAX there. We also wen t to the mall- did a lot of shopping and took photos of all the statues and fountains.

On our fill trip- we took a taxi to the wax museum.

I agree with Michelle on everything. But I also took some of those therma care patches. I am a heat relieves pain person. They were perfect. I wore them on the plane home. (Between scholder blades to help with gas pain)

The hotel restaurant had wonderful food and great staff. Just remeber to return your pool towels.

Thank you for all the information Shell. You are a great help. I also wanted to ask about carbonated beverages. I read in another posting that you shouldn't drink them. Is that true? What happenes if you do? That will be a hard habit to break.

Windy

Windy

According to Dr. Ortiz's post op instructions, it reads in big bold letters NO CARBOANTION EVER AGAIN!! Atleast the sheet I got 13 months ago.

I have heard that the carbonation can cause the pouch to stretch. It is also very uncomfortable going through the band. Not a pleasant experience and the gasses from the carbonation cause more gas in your tummy. Pre Band I was drinking 1-2 diet pepsis a day and in 13 months I am proud to say I have not had one single diet pepsi or carbonation of any kind. I olny drink water and coffee and crystal light . It is not as hard as you think it is. It is also a matter of how bad you want this surgery to work for you. We have to give up thing to get things. Giving up carbonation to be thin and healthy is a minimal trade off as I see it.

You can do it, remember the old saying " Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"