Please Read - Really Good Question!

OK so, I have not have my band done yet i am schedualed for february and I still have doubt as to whether I should be banded versus bypassed. So a brief overview; I am 21 and at 267, The problem is I have a very very veyr slow metabolism and unfortunatley dont eat very much at all throughout the day but I am still FAT! If I was to get the band would this probem be solved? or better will I still loose weight or be cursed with the same problem??

Well, the band restricts how much you can eat, thereby restricting the number of calories you can take in. If your metabolism is the problem and you aren't overeating, then I don't think that the band would be the best solution. Have you talked with your doc to see if there is anyway to jump start your metabolism? Have you had your thyroid checked? Problems with your thyroid gland can mess with your metabolism. Anyways, I think that if you aren't overeating, then the lapband and/or gastric bypass would only starve your body, forcing it to use fat stores. While that may sound nice, it would be hard on your body to do so. If you're not eating much now, then I fear you would try to eat almost nothing with the band or bypass. Plus, with the bypass you have problems with malabsorption of nutrients. Not good. Bottom line, talk with your doc to see if there is anything you can do to fix just your metabolism. I hope you find something that works for you!

Autumn_22

Marissa

That is a good question. I think that you should see a RD, registered dietician and see just how much you should be eating vs how much you are eating. I worked with a girl at one time, who when she went on a diet, she actually ate much more than before. And she lost from 3?? to maybe 225 the last time I saw her. She was taking thyroid pill though. Sometimes when we don't eat, out body goes into starvation mode and keeps every little calorie we eat. When your body realizes more food is coming because you are eating more often, you can lose weight. Of course this is a VERY simple explanation of a complicated process and doesn't work for everyone. Also, you can be malnourished and be overweight even though that seems like a contradiction. A lot depends on the food that you eat. Your insurance might pay for a nutritionist or RD if you doctor reccomends it. You would have to see one anyway if you decided to get the band. I consider myself a professional dieter-and that is not a good thing, I've tried most diets out there and lost, but regained as well. I laugh and say that if I had kept off all the weight I had lost I would be in the negative numbers.

My personal opinion is no to the gastric bypass unless there is no alternative. That is irreversible. The lapband is reversible and has less complications. (I don't have a band yet, my consultation is in 2 weeks). Do you have a primary care physician that listens to you and that you trust. If you don't please try and find one. I love my MD, but he is like, "you should lose weight, you would feel better" Well, doc, give me the magic pill and I will. Band vs bypass is something you and your doctor should decide together.

Start a journal of every bite you put into your mouth for at least 2 weeks and try and find someone to help you with your questions. Sometimes the dietician at the hospital does consultations, or at least they might could reccommend someone to you. Trying to lose weight is different for each person. One of the girs I work with took MY diabetic exchanges and lost 50 pounds without trying. And wasn't hungary. I was misrable and unable to follow that plan.

Sorry about rambling, I am 45 and have been overwieght for 20 years, you just have to not give up and keep trying. I don't feel like I am "giving up" by trying for the band, but I do feel that it is not the answer for everyone and certainly needs to be thought about before considering it.

I hope that this helps.

Susan

I am new at this. I am 21 year old who has struggled with weight all my life. I was given the notorious "bad genes". I am a little nervous about it but am considering having the procedure. I just wanted some feedback from those of you who have done this. Would you do it if you were me? And would you want your 21 year old to ? Any special advice?

Thanks for any help.

I am new at this. I am 21 year old who has struggled with weight all my life. I was given the notorious "bad genes". I am a little nervous about it but am considering having the procedure. I just wanted some feedback from those of you who have done this. Would you do it if you were me? And would you want your 21 year old to ? Any special advice?

Thanks for any help.

Boy do I wish I had done this at 21. I also have all the bad genes, which is why I know I needed this surgery. I could never have done it on my own and then been able to keep it off. I was extremely nervous. I could hardly get through the day the last few weeks. This surgery was all I talked about, I researched it, and studied it. But I was fine and really should have worried less. This band compensates for those bad genes. For me, I can't speak for everyone, my high weight was not about self control or disipline, or even emotional eating, like I had convinced myself. I was freakin' HUNGRY!!!! My body told me I needed much more food than I actually did. It was broken, and now it is fixed.

I am 32, my family is very overweight, and my husband's family is very overweight. I am doing my best to teach my kids the tools they can use to fight all the fatness, and I hope it works. They eat healthy, they exercise, and they are learning portion sizes now that I am eating smaller amounts. They also take very small bites and take a while to eat. I hope all of that will work. But if it doesn't...I know what to do. I would be thrilled for my 21 year old to have a band. I would be very happy that they had it done early and were able to live life as without the issues that come with being obese. I would definitely do it if I were you, and I would be happy for my child to do it also.

Becki

I had this done at 25 and I think the 20's are an excellent time to do it. The body needs to do some adjusting under the band and needs to be able to heal. I bounced right back after the surgery (almost literally) and time and time again the doctors said that youth was on my side.

Hey Marissa,

I was just curious if you knew what your resting rate for calorie buring is. My doctor told me that mine is slow as well (1600kcal/day resting), but I have a normal thyroid and eat too much, thus I'm going with the band. Good luck!!!

OK so, I have not have my band done yet i am schedualed for february and I still have doubt as to whether I should be banded versus bypassed. So a brief overview; I am 21 and at 267, The problem is I have a very very veyr slow metabolism and unfortunatley dont eat very much at all throughout the day but I am still FAT! If I was to get the band would this probem be solved? or better will I still loose weight or be cursed with the same problem??

Hey Marissa,

I was just curious if you knew what your resting rate for calorie buring is. My doctor told me that mine is slow as well (1600kcal/day resting), but I have a normal thyroid and eat too much, thus I'm going with the band. Good luck!!!

Littleroo

I was wondering where you got your RMR at. I had mine done Years ago and would like to have it done again.

Thanks,

Susan