Super nervous

Anyone else extremely nervous???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi:

I am scheduled to be banded one week from tomorrow (the 16th). The hospital called today and asked a lot of questions so I guess reality has finally sunk in!! Everyone seems like this was no big deal and I am super nervous. Not so much about the surgery itself but about not beaing able to EVER eat soem of my favorite foods again (pizza, a glass of red wine, even a french frie or two now and again) - I don't want to be able to ea these types of food to abandon but never to even be able to taste them again? Obviously food has been an important 9and bad) friend of mine for years (r I wouldn't need to be banded ) so I am looking forward to the help that the band will hopefully provide in the form as another tool toward my goal of being healthy and happy but I have to admit the whole food abstinence thing is throwing me for a loop.

I am sure once the results start happening I will be estatic but..did anyone else feel this way?

Thanks,

Rachel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi:

I am scheduled to be banded one week from tomorrow (the 16th). The hospital called today and asked a lot of questions so I guess reality has finally sunk in!! Everyone seems like this was no big deal and I am super nervous. Not so much about the surgery itself but about not beaing able to EVER eat soem of my favorite foods again (pizza, a glass of red wine, even a french frie or two now and again) - I don't want to be able to ea these types of food to abandon but never to even be able to taste them again? Obviously food has been an important 9and bad) friend of mine for years (r I wouldn't need to be banded ) so I am looking forward to the help that the band will hopefully provide in the form as another tool toward my goal of being healthy and happy but I have to admit the whole food abstinence thing is throwing me for a loop.

I am sure once the results start happening I will be estatic but..did anyone else feel this way?

Thanks,

Rachel

You will be able to eat all of those foods, but just less of them. Perhaps 1 piece of pizza instead of 3. Perhaps a couple of fries instead of a whole order. Getting banded is about eating less, and better food choices. While you may find some foods do not go well with your band, most foods, including most of your favorites, will be fine in moderation. And, there is no requirement to give up wine. According to the band manufacturer, while not a great food choice, alcohol will not cause a problem with the band. Good luck.

I totally understand your super nervousness!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldnt think of hardly anything but the whole process of what was going to happen for about 1 week prior!!! Keep us posted. I am still new at this, but so far, I still can eat anything, so far, (just had my 2nd fill) so still very new to the band. Best of Luck Teri ><'

Oh, my gosh! I completely understand. Before I was banded, I went to all my favorite restaurants (especially those with huge serving sizes) for one last meal. I made sure I had everything I want to, as if I would never eat those foods again. Now I laugh about it and wish I hadn't done that. It cost too much, and I gained weight. The reality for me now, 4 1/2 months after my surgery, is that I can eat anything. Especially all my favorites that I made sure I was saying goodbye to. I just don't need the quantity that I did before. I also don't need food like I did. I was hungry....often. Now I go hours without thinking about food. It just took my obsession away. I need another fill now, and I am very much looking forward to it, as food has snuck back in as being pretty important.

The only time I wish I was "normal", or wasn't banded and miss food, is not so much about the kind of food I eat, but more about the way I eat it. Sometimes I miss taking a really big bite. Or when I am starving, I miss not being able to stuff something in to relieve that hunger. I don't eat carefree anymore, but must watch my bite size and my chewing. But even when I miss those things, I am so greatful for the band. It is allowing my true self to appear, and I am much more confident, I get treated differently by strangers, I fit in seats, I can cross my legs, I can exercise without feeling like I am going to die. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Becki

The night before my surgery I started to panic. I was crying and very stressed so I called my husband. He tried to walk me through what I was upset about, he said don't worry about money, your health is worth it, don't worry about procedure, you have researched it and are confident in your choice, he said what else is there.... It was then I realized I was crying becuase I was mourning food as my best friend. I like eating a huge lasagne or whatever, I just don't like being fat. Now there is a bad combination! Now I realize I can have whatever I want AND have the satisfaction of eating and not feeling like a pig after. I have just realized I have to stay away from carbs, because they trigger grazing for me. Best of luck to you, and I wouldn't worry about being nervous, I think it is a good sign.

Hello all -

Today is my 1st day starting to get nervous. I start the liquid diet tomorrow, so it's :) starting to set in. I'm having surgery on Jan. 19th. I enjoy reading your posts so I know everyone was alittle nervous. This last week before surgery will probably be on my mind all the time. I know you all say the hospital and staff are great so I try to keep remembering that.

P.S. Greg - I love the picture of the Golden Retriever, I have one also.

Thanks everyone sharing.

Diane

Guest blueskies7890
The only time I wish I was "normal", or wasn't banded and miss food, is not so much about the kind of food I eat, but more about the way I eat it. Sometimes I miss taking a really big bite. Or when I am starving, I miss not being able to stuff something in to relieve that hunger. I don't eat carefree anymore, but must watch my bite size and my chewing.

Becki

I KNOW if i get banded I am going to miss this! But it is a habit that needs to be given up.

And I know if I get banded I'm going to be not thinking about it and take a huge bite and totally regret it lol... but I'll learn.. if I get banded...

I KNOW if i get banded I am going to miss this! But it is a habit that needs to be given up.

And I know if I get banded I'm going to be not thinking about it and take a huge bite and totally regret it lol... but I'll learn.. if I get banded...

I was banded on 10/6/06 and I thought I was going to miss my favorite foods. I don't - it amazing the will power you have when you don't have that hunger. Also since you are better able to control your eating, you're not eating for emotional reasons. (Which I did a lot) To date I've lost almost 50 lb, and there's nothing I miss. When I was banded I was wearing a 3X, I'm now in a 16 and 14s are doable. I started working out with a personal trainer after 6 weeks. I can't tell you how fun it is to try on cute clothes, they fit and actually look great. I feel sexy and pretty, and none of my favorite foods ever made me feel that way. Going to Dr. O to be banded was one of the best decision's I've ever made.

Hi:

Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel... in a word "Yes". I will be at the clinic on the 16th and look forward to meeting you. I have a fill on the 15th but a friend is having surgery on the 15th and I will be there for her release from clinic on the 16th. You will feel great.... think past the procedure to the healthy and happy future. Dreams can come true! Kevin

I too am super nervous, but to me it's like... how could I not be? Like you, it's not the pain of the surgery that worries me . And I am not worried about the competance of the doctors or having the surgery in Mexico. My neice, who is a nurse, did mucho research and then had the procedure with Dr. Ortiz and had no problems and is very happy. What I am so concerned about is the unknown. How can I really know what it's going to be like until I do it? There are lap band failures. Will I be one of them? Do all this and barely lose any weight? Will I have some kind of terrible complication which will make me worse off than before? They say you can have it removed, but they don't do that for free. I'm doing the pre-op diet now, and it is stark... talk about deprivation. And after this week the surgery and three more weeks before solid food. Yikkkks! Why am I doing this? The worst is when I wake up each morning and think, "I can't do this." It seems unreal. But then I just have to figure that I made a rational decision to have this surgery during the months that I thought about it and researched it and talked to my doctor about it, and this is just fear of taking this very big step - which it is. How could you not be nervous, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't move forward.

Rachel,

One thing that I have enjoyed about having the band is that I have not deprived myself of any food I have wanted nor have I ever felt as though I am on a diet. Believe me, I enjoyed some cheese cake and chocolate around the holidays. But, was able to do it in moderation thanks to the band. It is nice to keep loosing and not feel as tough I am dieting. While weight loss seems slow it is consistent.

I was banded on 10/6/06 and I thought I was going to miss my favorite foods. I don't - it amazing the will power you have when you don't have that hunger. Also since you are better able to control your eating, you're not eating for emotional reasons. (Which I did a lot) To date I've lost almost 50 lb, and there's nothing I miss. When I was banded I was wearing a 3X, I'm now in a 16 and 14s are doable. I started working out with a personal trainer after 6 weeks. I can't tell you how fun it is to try on cute clothes, they fit and actually look great. I feel sexy and pretty, and none of my favorite foods ever made me feel that way. Going to Dr. O to be banded was one of the best decision's I've ever made.

Hi. I was banded in November 2006 and had the same fear - here's the deal.... You actually ENJOY food more because it doens't rule your life! I can eat WHATEVER I want, so rich foods that were off limits are no longer. I used to pour crap food down my throat. Now I am pickier and I can eat whatever I want! Good luck Can't wait to hear back from you.