Considering Nutrisystem foods

If you watch television at all, it is hard to miss the Nutri System commercials. In a nutshell, you get 4 weeks of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks, that are supposed to be nutritionally balanced, yet are portion controlled enough to lose weight. You also get an extra week "free", and the price is just under $300. This calculates down to about $8.50 per day, which seems pretty reasonable, as I spend more than that currently for my food.

Being single, and cooking only for myself, the price seems very attractive. The portion control, and balance of nutrients also looks quite appealing. And being banded, it appears to me that the quantity of food per meal is more than adequate to not be hungry.

I have a gastric bypass friend that uses Jenny Craig food for convenience, balance, and portion control, but her food costs about $15 -$18 per day, and the meals look very tiny.

I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum has used the program before, or considered it. I also wonder if the food actually tastes good. Any positive or negative input is appreciated.

I sure would consider it. I know since surgery, the Lean Cuisine and Weight Watcher dinners are more than adequate for me. I do them often, and it is easier than making myself a lunch often, or if I don't really want to eat what my family is having. I don't know if they taste good or not, but I have a friend who did it years ago, and really liked them then. If I didn't have my family to feed, I would sure look into it.

Good luck.

Becki

If you watch television at all, it is hard to miss the Nutri System commercials. In a nutshell, you get 4 weeks of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks, that are supposed to be nutritionally balanced, yet are portion controlled enough to lose weight. You also get an extra week "free", and the price is just under $300. This calculates down to about $8.50 per day, which seems pretty reasonable, as I spend more than that currently for my food.

Being single, and cooking only for myself, the price seems very attractive. The portion control, and balance of nutrients also looks quite appealing. And being banded, it appears to me that the quantity of food per meal is more than adequate to not be hungry.

I have a gastric bypass friend that uses Jenny Craig food for convenience, balance, and portion control, but her food costs about $15 -$18 per day, and the meals look very tiny.

I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum has used the program before, or considered it. I also wonder if the food actually tastes good. Any positive or negative input is appreciated.

Hi, I did Nutri-Systems several years ago, when it was a walk-in Jenny Craig style program. I'm a really picky eater, but there were quite a few choices that I liked and it did make it easy. The portions were small, but with your band, they are probably fine. I used to eat most of the main courses over a plate of shredded lettuce to add more volume without adding calories and that worked pretty well. You probably won't use them for every meal, but it would be good to have them on hand to fall back on. I keep several frozen WW or South Beach meals available so that I have something easy to fix for myself when I'm making my family things I shouldn't eat, and I always have bag salad and frozen grilled chicken strips (Costco) available!

Good Luck, Kim

They are a great company, and their food is good and good for you. The meals are portion controlled but one thing I noticed is that many of their meals wouldn

It looks to me like the same thing as Jenny Craig. Not that it's bad at all, but I know for me JC got old really fast because of the lack of protein in their foods. Plus, as someone who avoids all dairy, I was forced to cut my choices down to about 1/4 of all options. You can really only eat the same 4 or 5 meals so many times before you start going nuts.

Hi Greg. I have a friend that used Nutri Systems to loose about 25 pds. She did not have a lap band. I personally think if you use it to loose weight (which is the most important thing) than go off it, you will be ok. I worry because I believe it is food. If's I remember correctly she was required to eat a salad at every meal - so that's good! Good luck - happy girl in CA

Oops! My email did not go over correctly....

Hi Greg. I have a friend that used Nutri Systems to loose about 25 pds. She did not have a lap band. I personally think if you use it to loose weight (which is the most important thing) than go off it, you will be ok. I worry because I believe it is substandard food. If's I remember correctly she was required to eat a salad at every meal - so that's good! Good luck - happy girl in CA

Hi Greg

I have been on Nutri system 3 times. Always had good results(just can't keep it off)I too have considered it in combination with my band. I think it would be a great way to have variety and control your calorie/fat intake. The only obstacle, of course, is figuring out which meals may not be band friendly. I think most of them would work well. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. Nita

I also really enjoyed NutriSystem - my problem was that the portions were too small...now, with the band, that wouldn't be a problem. However, as someone said, some "meals" don't consist of everything you need (Protein, vegetables, etc.) I remember having a mini muffin or two for breakfast and that was it...anyway, just thought i'd throw in my "food tasted good" comment. Good luck!

Greg,

My sister had a couple of girls at her work do nutri-system, she said they thought the food was not that great. I have done Jenny Craig foods myself and they were pretty tasty, they have good pancakes with berries for breakfast. With my band I am not doing any of those. I just buy a lean cuisine usually for work, for the convienence. Being single and not liking to cook a lot for just me I have found other alternatives. Tyson sells frozen chicken breasts that are plain or with barbeque sauce on them that are real easy to cook (2 minutes in the nuke machine). Frozen vegetables heat up nicely in the microwave (4 minutes). Or a quick grilled ham and cheese sandwich works well. If you wander around the frozen food section long enough you can find all kinds of things that can reheat quickly. I have even seen beef stew in a bag. My only reservation about trying the "diet foods" of nutri-system and Jenny Craig is that your mind may feel you are dieting. That has been one thing I have been elated about with the band, I have not felt for once that I am dieting. And yes I do allow myself indulgences, but have consistently lost weight (almost effortlessly). My not staying on diets has been the mental issues of always feeling like you are depriving yourself. But each their own, good luck.

Hi Greg,

I think most of us have tried just about everything at one time or another. In the end it comes down to... what can you do forever!

That's what I like about the band. It keeps my portions in control... even when I eat the wrong food. The band reminds when I've eaten something I shouldn't have, eaten too fast, or eaten too much (OUCH!)

I've been successful on every diet I was on... for a little while. Then the weight creeps back and adds a few more pounds just to make sure I don't try THAT again!

I wish anyone trying to lose weight, whatever method, great success. I've found what works for me... and I wish you all the same ><'

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

Just wanted to let you know that I have tried the Nutri-System meals and found them to be less than tasty. I have to agree with a previous post that said you cannot compare with fresh foods. I bought the 4 + 1 week free and was sick of the food by the second week! I gave the rest away. There seemed to me like there was a certain taste to all the different foods that did not agree with me. It must've also been psychological that most of my foods were coming out of a box... not very appetizing :(

~Renee