Any regrets?

Hi! Welcome...

I had surgery 3 weeks ago today with Dr. Ortiz. No regrets at all- it has worked out beautifully. I also had to pay out of pocket but I have to say, I am very satisfied with my "purchase"... Well worth the money ( I took a loan and will pay it off over 2-3 years)

It's been a bit of work to get through the first few weeks but if your eye is on the prize- you can make it through easy enough. So far with the pre-op diet, the surgery and the last three weeks on liquids, I've lost 27 lbs and I feel terrific. I haven't been able to get that weight off in years of diets and also have alot of motivation and confidence in knowing that this is just the start of the journey back to that person I used to be. It's like that old cliche'... Getting yourself a gift that will keep on giving and this one gets better and better.

Hope this has been helpful. Good luck to you in your decision making process.

Steve

Hi! Welcome...

I had surgery 3 weeks ago today with Dr. Ortiz. No regrets at all- it has worked out beautifully. I also had to pay out of pocket but I have to say, I am very satisfied with my "purchase"... Well worth the money ( I took a loan and will pay it off over 2-3 years)

It's been a bit of work to get through the first few weeks but if your eye is on the prize- you can make it through easy enough. So far with the pre-op diet, the surgery and the last three weeks on liquids, I've lost 27 lbs and I feel terrific. I haven't been able to get that weight off in years of diets and also have alot of motivation and confidence in knowing that this is just the start of the journey back to that person I used to be. It's like that old cliche'... Getting yourself a gift that will keep on giving and this one gets better and better.

Hope this has been helpful. Good luck to you in your decision making process.

Steve

Thank you, Steve. I'm wondering why I'm having such a hard time making a decision. A little fear, a little unsure whether I can change or really want to bad enough.

Seems like a lot of people use Dr. Ortiz, but I'm in the Midwest, and that's a long ways from home. Did you have to have a passport? I also worry whether the doctor's here would be as helpful, or if they'd resent that I didn't have them perform the surgery. I doubt I could afford to keep going back to Mexico for fills. I'd have to have those done locally. The cost of surgery in my area is about $15,000, and maybe that's not too unreasonable.

Thank you, Steve. I'm wondering why I'm having such a hard time making a decision. A little fear, a little unsure whether I can change or really want to bad enough.

Seems like a lot of people use Dr. Ortiz, but I'm in the Midwest, and that's a long ways from home. Did you have to have a passport? I also worry whether the doctor's here would be as helpful, or if they'd resent that I didn't have them perform the surgery. I doubt I could afford to keep going back to Mexico for fills. I'd have to have those done locally. The cost of surgery in my area is about $15,000, and maybe that's not too unreasonable.

I too have my doubts, my surgery is scheduled about a month away, but mostly I'm concerned that it won't be effective, I've been a grazer for so long it will be hard to stop, and I don't think the

lap band will be effective if I keep the pouch full all the time. The difference will be in that I cannot eat a large meal any more. That should cut out a bunch of calories but will it be enough?

Just wondering if anyone out there is sorry they had the surgery. I have done some pre-surgery stuff, but haven't decided for sure whether to do it or not. I will be paying for it myself, no insurance coverage.

I AM SORRY, SORRY I DIDN'T DO IT SOONER LOL :rolleyes:

I'm from Virginia and I'm going next month. I cannot weight !!! (ha ha)

I'll have my first fill in TJ, but there's a FILL CTR in NJ thats only 150 miles

away. I'm sorry I didnt do this years ago ! All the research points to Dr O.

Go on the website and email Lori, the Patient Coordinator. with any specific

questions -- she's wonderful! Good luck to you, whatever you decide !

LT in VA

I totaly regret not doing this sooner. It was very, very scary though. To travel out of the country by myself, for surgery that we really couldn't afford. It scared my to death. But I did it, for better or worse. And I have to say, it has been the best decision I have made in my life. I wish I had done it much sooner. In two days, I will be 6 months out from surgery. I feel great, have lost almost 60 pounds, and I am loving life. I have so much more energy. I am doing all the athletic events I always wished I could, I am not plus sized any longer. I feel better, lighter, happier. I cross my legs without even thinking. I can shop anywhere I want...they always have something I can wear. My feet don't hurt as much. I have saved a fortune on fast food, pretty sure I will be able to pay for my surgery with all the money I save on food. My husband is excited, and compliments me alot. He loved me before, but he is happier now also. People pay more attention to me, and I don't just mean the opposite sex. People just stop to talk to me, they are so much friendlier. My kids can hug me and reach all the way around. I can lay on the couch and have room for them beside me. They fit on my lap better. I feel in control of my eating, so I cook better, healthier meals for them. My husband has lost 15 pounds this way. I don't wear out my pants between my legs because they are rubbing together. Maybe I still might, but I am shrinking out of them pretty fast, so they don't have time to wear out. Everything in my closet fits me, and many things are too big. I have a much wider variety of styles to choose from, it is not all jeans or elastic waisted pants and t-shirts. I feel comfortable with who I am now. I don't think twice about bending over to pick something up, I don't care who is watching my rear end.

I guess that is it. I might be able to go on, and on, but you get the point. This surgery gave me everything I had always dreamed of. I used to dream that one morning I would wake up and find that I wasn't really fat, it was just a fat suit, so I could take it off. That is exactly what this surgery is doing for me. I am taking off my fat suit. It is the greatest!!!

Becki

No passport needed if you fly to San Diego and drive to the Hospital- it's about 20 minutes from the airport. The surgery costs a little more than half what you were quoted. Suggest you speak to OCC about a doctor that they may know in your area and contact them about getting fills locally vs. going to Mexico. I checked out some places locally on my own first and found an obesity clinic that knew Dr Ortiz and said they would do the fills. It is a big trip to mex (I live in NY) but I had a great experience so far and have heard that OCC really knows what they are doing and get the fills right with less visits (2 or 3 instead of 5 or 6 some people have to go through. Still - I may do the first one locally to save some $$ and go to Mex for the second -make a little vacation out of the trip so it won't seem as expensive.

Good luck in your decision process!

I too have my doubts, my surgery is scheduled about a month away, but mostly I'm concerned that it won't be effective, I've been a grazer for so long it will be hard to stop, and I don't think the

lap band will be effective if I keep the pouch full all the time. The difference will be in that I cannot eat a large meal any more. That should cut out a bunch of calories but will it be enough?

The trick is to really want to lose the weight- the band is there and acts as a deterent against over-eating. I was a huge grazer and now it's different. First, the weight starts to come off and you get motivated to keep it going. If you do feel like binging- you can't because the band won't let you. It alot to do with attitude- The band will work as a tool to help you change your habits and that will get the weight off- you have to want it!

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR UPCOMING SURGERY!!!!!