Post Op Pain

Hello...

Just got back this afternoon. Got banded on Monday. It was a great experience. Everything went like clockwork. My incision sites are a bit sore, but this pain in my upper body (assuming it's gas pain) is killing me. I've taken Gas X strips, I've walked and walked and walked, I tried the heat pad this afternoon, my hubby even tried massaging it. The only thing that helps are the little disolvable pain pills they gave on discharge. The problem is I only have one of those little pills left and I'm going back to work tomorrow. Please tell me this pain will go away soon. It is a sharp stabbing pain up in my shoulders. It feels like a knife is just sitting in there. Also... is there anything else I can take that will help?? I was thinking of trying to find some liquid tylenol, but thought I would seek your advise first.

I'm completely happy with my surgery!!! I just need a little help with this post op pain. I didn't get any sleep last night at the Lucerna and am hoping to try and get some rest tonight since I'm home.

Thanks for any thoughts or insight!! I really appreciate it.....

ps. How long does this pain last?? What is "normal"???

Theresa :-)

Theresa,

Congrats on your surgery:)

As for the pain you are feeling...yes it's normal. It's worse for some than others. As I understand it, it's from the air or "whatever" they put in our abdomen to expand it during surgery. There is a nerve that is connected to the shoulder/upper

chest area and that is why it hurts. It should only last a couple of days and it does get better. Call your family doctor, if you

told them you were having this surgery, I'm sure they will prescribe a couple more days worth of pills. Also, a heating pad

really helped me. (or a warm bath). You may have to take a couple of days off, if you're like me and the pills make you sleepy.

It doesn't last long. Hang in there:)

Cyndy

uote name='momyto2' date='Apr 25 2007, 08:01 PM' post='11211']

Hello...

Just got back this afternoon. Got banded on Monday. It was a great experience. Everything went like clockwork. My incision sites are a bit sore, but this pain in my upper body (assuming it's gas pain) is killing me. I've taken Gas X strips, I've walked and walked and walked, I tried the heat pad this afternoon, my hubby even tried massaging it. The only thing that helps are the little disolvable pain pills they gave on discharge. The problem is I only have one of those little pills left and I'm going back to work tomorrow. Please tell me this pain will go away soon. It is a sharp stabbing pain up in my shoulders. It feels like a knife is just sitting in there. Also... is there anything else I can take that will help?? I was thinking of trying to find some liquid tylenol, but thought I would seek your advise first.

I'm completely happy with my surgery!!! I just need a little help with this post op pain. I didn't get any sleep last night at the Lucerna and am hoping to try and get some rest tonight since I'm home.

Hello...

Theresa,

I

Hello...

Hi Teresa,

It will go away and it is normal. I was especially sensitive to the gas and had pains even after two weeks, though with lessening frenquency, until finally they were gone. I was so concerned that I call OCC. I was told not to take GASX. That the pain was irratation from the gas they used not from gas itself. Advil helped. I cut it up to be sure it didn't stick. Anyway, take heart, it will go away.

Hello...

Hi, and I would like to know what is "normal" also. I get a feeling as though my whole asophegus is spasming, and I can't help but bend over in terrible pain. I was banded April 25, and feel worse now then I did the day of, and after surgery. Let me know what else might work for you....nothing is helping me...

Good News.... all of my pain is gone. YEAH!! My surgery was a week ago today and I feel great. I had absolutely no hunger pains until Saturday. Then the hunger kicked in and UGH.... I still have 2 more weeks of liquid. :-) I'm doing great on the liquid diet. I lost 7# on preop and have lost 11# this week on the liquid diet. I've come too far to stop now. Anywho.... just wanted to let everyone that the pains do go away!!!!!

HI!

I was banded on the 25th as well. I am feeling those same spasms. Not to the extent that you are but they are painful. My pain is all at the port site, not the incision but the port itself. I was off from work for a few days and I thaink I over did...Cleaning. It still hurts when I move bend over and especially if I roll over in bed. Does anyone else have this...is it normal and will it go away?

Jamie