Surgery Scheduled for 5/24, and nervous

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I sound stupid or if I don't follow the rules.

I scheduled my surgery for May 24th, and I'm a little nervous.

I'm a 36 year old woman, I weigh about 190 pounds and I'm 5'6". I never considered myself obese, but when I look at the charts and I look at myself in the mirror, I see a lot of extra fat. Well, maybe extra fat isn't the right way to say it, I see myself as someone carrying around A LOT of extra weight, at least 50 pounds.

I've tried diets, Weight Watchers especially. I'm not knocking WW, but for me, I just have not been able to lose weight, as hard as I try. The funny thing is that I exercise a lot. I'd say I exercise more than the average person - I do at least 30 minutes of walking every day, I jog 3x per week, and I often hike on one weekend day per month. Even with all that exercise and WW, I keep gaining weight. I have progress charts that show up, up, up of my weight. There's rarely a down, maybe one pound over 1 month, but then it goes up again.

Lori has been very helpful in answering my questions. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask the group though:

- I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow. My fear is that she will tell me that I'm crazy to even think about lap-band surgery. Has anyone gone through these questions with their PCP? I know I don't need my PCP approval for lapband surgery with Dr. Ortiz, but I'd still like that warm fuzzy approval.

- Is the aftercare really tough? Is there anything I should buy beforehand so that I'm prepared? Gas-X or something like that? I work in a very high-pressure job, and I'd prefer to let them know that I'll be at 50% productivity, if that's the case.

- The whole Mexico thing. I told 2 close friends today that I was considering this surgery in TJ, and they immediately told me that I'm crazy. Has anyone dealt with this response?

- Do I need a family member with me after the surgery? I'm not sure if my family would be supportive of this...so I'm not sure if I should disclose that I'm having the surgery. Has anyone dealt with this?

Hi there,

I did not tell anyone other than my husband that I was having the surgery. I am also 5'6" but started at 240. I had my second fill on March 10th and since then I have lost 21 lbs which I am really happy with. Not too fast, but certainly faster than I ever lost weight before.

Are you married? If you don't have anyone you feel will be supportive, I don't know if I would tell anyone. Bad energy isn't going to be helpful. I almost went alone and if I had, I would have been ok.

As for my primary doctor, I hated her and she was rude to me (not even about TJ) so I did not tell her. My new doc does not know either. If I have to I'll tell her and I don't really care what she thinks/says. Your PCP might try and talk you out of it.

What do you do for work? I was ok back to work like 4 days after. Sort of sore and mildly hungry but after day 4 you can add other liquids besides clear (I think).

No one has noticed that I eat a lot less. You just have to be careful not to PB in public!! That is the worst.

Good luck! It's worth it.

Oh and I would schedule your first fill NOW and even book the flight etc. I had my surgery in Sept last year and I avoided getting a fill til Dec and gained weight. Now that I am using the band properly, I am losing weekly.

Karen

- I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow. My fear is that she will tell me that I'm crazy to even think about lap-band surgery. Has anyone gone through these questions with their PCP? I know I don't need my PCP approval for lapband surgery with Dr. Ortiz, but I'd still like that warm fuzzy approval.

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FUZZY FROM A PCP, I'D ASK FOR A DRINKIE DRINK LOL. ONCE YOU SAY MX, THAT'S IT, THEN AT TJ ON TOP OF IT? ROF

REALLY THO, IT WAS THE BEST MOVE I EVER MADE AND I'D GO BACK TO DR ORTIZ ANYTIME TO DO IT AGAIN. I IN FACT HAVE SENT SEVERAL FRIENDS DOWN AND THEY'VE ALL HAD NOTHING BUT THE BEST TO SAY ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE.

I'M NOT SURE WHERE YOU LIVE BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A FEW DR NAMES THE ARE LOCAL FOR AFTERCARE IF NEED BE

Hi there,

I did not tell anyone other than my husband that I was having the surgery. I am also 5'6" but started at 240. I had my second fill on March 10th and since then I have lost 21 lbs which I am really happy with. Not too fast, but certainly faster than I ever lost weight before.

Are you married? If you don't have anyone you feel will be supportive, I don't know if I would tell anyone. Bad energy isn't going to be helpful. I almost went alone and if I had, I would have been ok.

As for my primary doctor, I hated her and she was rude to me (not even about TJ) so I did not tell her. My new doc does not know either. If I have to I'll tell her and I don't really care what she thinks/says. Your PCP might try and talk you out of it.

What do you do for work? I was ok back to work like 4 days after. Sort of sore and mildly hungry but after day 4 you can add other liquids besides clear (I think).

No one has noticed that I eat a lot less. You just have to be careful not to PB in public!! That is the worst.

Good luck! It's worth it.

Oh and I would schedule your first fill NOW and even book the flight etc. I had my surgery in Sept last year and I avoided getting a fill til Dec and gained weight. Now that I am using the band properly, I am losing weekly.

Karen

I don't know how this reply thing works - I see your reply above what I'm writing - I hope this is ok.

I'm unsure about the relationship with "fills" and losing weight. I assume that the fills equal more weight loss due to less space in the stomach for food.

I'm not married, I'm single. That could be a big reason why I haven't had a date in (let's guess) 3 years. I'm a pretty girl, but I've become heavy.

I have an appt with my PCP tomorrow - she seems open to it, so I'm interested in hearing what she says.

I don't know what "PB" means, can you tell me?

Lori gave me 2 doctors who will do the fills where I live, in Washington DC. I appreciate the advice about booking the appointments in advance.

Thanks again,

mac0218

mac0218

Anyone I told I was going to Mexico, freaked out. All I told them is that I am not a stupid person, I am doing this for my health and I certainly would not make this decision with out checking everything out. What it comes down to is Dr Ortiz is the best choice for this surgery. I had a great experience, everyone was so nice. I was really scared and I was put to ease as soon as I got to the center. I had surgery on Thurs and I was back to work Monday. I am a controller for a trucking company. I would do this again in a minute. After surgery walk as much as you can. When I came back to work Monday, I think I sat to long with out taking a break and I started to get some gas pains. I took a long walk and they went away. I have had my doctor for a long time and he was fine with my decision. I still have people ask me how I am doing and if I made the right decision going to Mexico and I tell them with out a doubt it was the best decision I ever made. I am on my way to a more healthy life. Good luck with your surgery!

marsha

Banded MArch 22, 2007 Going for my first fill tomorrow, Yea!!!

Don't Worry...Be Happy...

I wouldn't worry at all about the surgery and your safety during it. However, my best advise to you is not to set your expectations too high. The band is a tool and with a low BMI, the weight will only come off if you follow the rules. Following the rules are tough... ask anyone...Eating around the band is easy and if you do that with a low BMI weight loss will stop.

I am not saying don't have the surgery.. by all means I would recommend it, and especially Dr. Ortiz, to my child, if he/she needed it... so I am in favor of your choice...just do not want to see you get all excited... then 6 months out.. be frustrated at the weight loss you do have and quit trying.

Tom

Hey, Mac -

Congratulations on your decision!!

I was banded in TJ by Dr. Ortiz on May 9th,

just shy of 1 month ago. It was the greatest experience! Feel free to go to

the "newbie" section and read my post - Just Banded - Day 8.

I told NO ONE where I was going or why, except my brother, and I told him

the day before I left. I called him an hour after the procedure from my room

to assure him I was fine. And I was fine. I never had a minute of pain. BUT.

You must walk -- people say that on these boards, and its true. They use Co2

gas in your abdomin so that they can easily visualize your innards. They get as

much of it out as possible, but some remains and the only way to work it out is

to walk it out. If you do that, and follow the other rules, you'll be fine. The rules

arent that tough (all my humble opinion, of course). I think dieters are a tough

bunch anyway - and this certainly is an easy thing to follow.

I also did not and have not informed my HMO about my band. I will do that, in

about 4 more months, when I have lost more weight. I'm due for a full check up

anyway. I will tell them then. I consider this a life long tool for me to take control

of my weight. I've been yo-yo dieting for 25+ years and while I've lost the same

80-100 pounds 5 times in the last 20 years or so - I just got sick of it! I am also

approaching menopause, and I have found that losing weight is harder for me now

than it used to be! I'm 47, 5'5". I started this journey at 241 - was 228.5 at surgery

and this morning weighed in at 221.5 - so I've lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks - not too shabby!

I'm not consistently exercising (yet) so I think I will get even better results once I get off

my butt! I'm averaging a 2lb weight loss each week since surgery. I have also been

eating my diet "plan" - the only thing that ever really worked for me which is oatmeal

for breakfast, and then chicken, fish, vegetables and fruit. I had a glass of wine wth dinner

Friday night - it was wonderful! So I'm really trying -- as many others on this board have

said - the band is a tool. You have a huge part in its success or failure.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide! By the way - with regards to PBing - thats called

"productive burping" - essentially, what cannot pass comes back up to you. I have read

about that and vowed to myself that it would not happen to me. So far, so good. If I eat

too fast - which happens in a fast paced world - my band reminds me to slow down by giving

me a tight feeling in the center of my chest. Its a not so subtle reminder to slow down and

CHEW. Once I have my first fill (3 weeks!), I will have to be extra vigilant.

Great luck - keep us posted !!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I sound stupid or if I don't follow the rules.

I'm a 36 year old woman, I weigh about 190 pounds and I'm 5'6". I never considered myself obese, but when I look at the charts and I look at myself in the mirror, I see a lot of extra fat. Well, maybe extra fat isn't the right way to say it, I see myself as someone carrying around A LOT of extra weight, at least 50 pounds.

I've tried diets, Weight Watchers especially. I'm not knocking WW, but for me, I just have not been able to lose weight, as hard as I try. The funny thing is that I exercise a lot. I'd say I exercise more than the average person - I do at least 30 minutes of walking every day, I jog 3x per week, and I often hike on one weekend day per month. Even with all that exercise and WW, I keep gaining weight. I have progress charts that show up, up, up of my weight. There's rarely a down, maybe one pound over 1 month, but then it goes up again.

Lori has been very helpful in answering my questions. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask the group though:

- Is the aftercare really tough? Is there anything I should buy beforehand so that I'm prepared? Gas-X or something like that? I work in a very high-pressure job, and I'd prefer to let them know that I'll be at 50% productivity, if that's the case.

- The whole Mexico thing. I told 2 close friends today that I was considering this surgery in TJ, and they immediately told me that I'm crazy. Has anyone dealt with this response?

- Do I need a family member with me after the surgery? I'm not sure if my family would be supportive of this...so I'm not sure if I should disclose that I'm having the surgery. Has anyone dealt with this?

I told one person what I was doing and could not believe the negativity and fear that starting coming out of her.

I explained that I went to a Lapband seminar being held by a local Doctor, Dr. Grossbard and that he went there had the procedure done to him then was trained by Dr. Ortiz.

I said if the place was acceptable to an American Dr. I should be fine. Still negativity. I knew I did not need this. I told no one else no family nothing. I went by myself!

I would do it again! The OCC staff and Dr Ortiz are the best in my opinion. The whole experiance was almost like a vacation, I'm not kidding. I even kicked it around the shops in TJ with another patient who was bi-lingual thank God, the day after surgery! The glue that is used and the amount or diameter used keeps the tender incision area from pulling keeping pain to an absolute minimum so walking was not a problem for me.

I have a high pressure job too and need to be mobile. I took a long weekend Wednesday through Monday. Back to work on Tuesday with no problems!

Tell who ever you want about what you are doing but just be ready for them to go negative on you.

My family did not know anything until I got back from TJ, you would not believe what kind of questions they where asking me when they found out! Only a few co-workers know, thats just how I decided to do things.

JC

Hi Everyone,