WEIGHT GAIN!?!?!

okay so i had my surgery on friday sept 16 and yes im finally banded! i got home yesterday and i bought a scale and it says i have gained 5 lbs ?!?! i weighed 221 a day before surgery and today it says 225??? i dont get it ? shouldnt i be loosing weight since im only on liquidS? and okay i understand that im not really supposed to be loosing weight cus this time is for healing but why am i gaining? okay im scared...

Some people do. It isn't actually weight gain though. Don't let the "pounds" fool you. Some people lose 15 lbs the first week and get ALL excited. But it really isn't fat they are losing but water weight. Some people gain and feel all bloated and fluffy. No worries. Just do your best at the post op diet... wait for the fill and then hold on for the ride!

Plus, not all scales are the same. The one at my house says I am 178. The one at my mom's house says I am 183. The one at the doctors says I am 175. All are digital. So go figure.

Hey! Hang in there. This is advice for me as well as you. I was banded on Sept 13th, so we just missed eachother! I am trying not to step on the scale. It's almost been a week (really, just one week?) and the liquids are tough. I was ok until I went grocery shopping last night for the family. You know, I just keep telling myself this isn't magic. It is for the LONG HAUL, you know? My weight didn't come on overnight and it certainly won't come off in a week, even if I am barely eating any calories. Let's keep positive and help eachother through so we really can make it!

Leah

I gained weight after my surgery as well, about 5lbs. Then they started sliding off. Everyone's different though, just keep pluggin' along and follow your Dr's orders and the weight will come off. All that broth high in sodium keeps your body retaining water too...keep drinking plenty of fluids low in cals and you'll be fine. :) And welcome to Bandland! ;)

Relax...

this is not real weight gain ,this is water retention , thye pump tyou with IV fluids and you are swolled from surgery, give it a few days

you will lose it all

I had bowel obstruction surgery by Dr. Ortiz in April, I did not eat or drink for 7 days and I gained 15 lbs while in the hospital due toall of the fluids they pump into you, 3 days a week later after surgery I had to stay in my bedroom andclose to a toilet because every 2 minutes I had to pee, needless to say I lost those 15 lbs in 2 days

One piece of advice

Relax...

this is not real weight gain ,this is water retention , thye pump tyou with IV fluids and you are swolled from surgery, give it a few days

you will lose it all

I had bowel obstruction surgery by Dr. Ortiz in April, I did not eat or drink for 7 days and I gained 15 lbs while in the hospital due toall of the fluids they pump into you, 3 days a week later after surgery I had to stay in my bedroom andclose to a toilet because every 2 minutes I had to pee, needless to say I lost those 15 lbs in 2 days

One piece of advice

DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY, IT IWLL MAKE YOU CRAZY, YOU WILL OBSESS, AND WORRY. I WEIGH ONCE A WEEK IF THAT. DO NOT LET THE NUMBERS ON THE SCALE DICTATE YOUR SUCCESS ORFAILURES WITH THE BAND, REMEMBER ALL OF THE POSSITIVE THINGS THAT WILL CHANGE AND YOU WILL BENEFIT FROM BY HAVING YOUR BAND. KEEP A LIST OF ALL OF YOUR NSV'S ( NON SCALE VICTORIES)

Hang in there and have patience, patience is key to your success.

Good Luck :)

Also be aware that the wieght you are losing is water and that when you start to eat solids, do not be surprised to see a little weight come back on. This time is for healing like you said. I just got my 1st fill and have not been real hungry for the first time since right after the surgery. The liquid phase of the diet is hard, so do your best.

Eversoqute