Sliding hiatal hernia?

Hi all,

I recently got my surgical reports faxed from OCC and saw that a Sliding hiatal hernia was found. I don't know what that is, but prior to surgery, I was taking Prevacid for GERD. Haven't taken anymore since surgery which is great! I didn't see anything about the hernia needing repair, but there was alot of medical terms in the report that even I couldn't figure out...LOL

Any help on the subject would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Judy

Hi all,

I recently got my surgical reports faxed from OCC and saw that a Sliding hiatal hernia was found. I don't know what that is, but prior to surgery, I was taking Prevacid for GERD. Haven't taken anymore since surgery which is great! I didn't see anything about the hernia needing repair, but there was alot of medical terms in the report that even I couldn't figure out...LOL

Any help on the subject would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Judy

Judy, I also had a hiatal hernia, they didn't say it was "sliding" but nevertheless they did repair it during my banding surgery. A sliding hernia usually refers to one which kind of slides in and out depending on which position you are in. A hernia is a separation between muscles which lets whatever is behind the muscle (like intestines) kind of come through the opening. So if the hernia is say on one side of your abdomen and you lay down with that side of the abdomen facing downward, the hernia will kind of "slide out" where it is more visible and/or you can feel it with your hand. If you are laying with that side of the abdomen facing upward the hernia will slide back into the opening, all due to gravity. A hiatal hernia is internal so you would never be able to feel or see it from the outside of your body but it is basically the same. Most likely they did repair the hernia and that is why you are no longer having to take the Prevacid. What I think is so great is that they don't charge more for repairing the hernia, I don't think that would ever happen in the US. The price would probably be double !!!