Logistical question re: getting to OCC

I have booked my flight and will be banded on 8/28 by Dr. Ortiz. It's happened so fast that I'm a bit numb, with the exception of some panic attacks at the prospect of a life-altering event (!!) It helps so much to read about others' experience.

One question for those who had the surgery in TJ: I am arriving in Orange County, so will be renting a car for a week total, that will include my 4 days in Mexico. It seems silly to leave behind and pay for parking. Is it possible to drive into Mexico? I'm thinking about asking if we can just follow the van from the San Diego airport to TJ.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Danielle

Danielle, I know you would need to check with the car rental agency before even thinking of taking the rental car into Mexico, some won't let you and at the very least you have to purchase Mexican auto insurance. I don't know if I would do it or not, the traffic is pretty crazy there. There is a trolley that goes from, I think, somewhere way up north of San Diego down to the border. Maybe you should talk to Lori Becky about it as she lives in California. Pam

I have booked my flight and will be banded on 8/28 by Dr. Ortiz. It's happened so fast that I'm a bit numb, with the exception of some panic attacks at the prospect of a life-altering event (!!) It helps so much to read about others' experience.

One question for those who had the surgery in TJ: I am arriving in Orange County, so will be renting a car for a week total, that will include my 4 days in Mexico. It seems silly to leave behind and pay for parking. Is it possible to drive into Mexico? I'm thinking about asking if we can just follow the van from the San Diego airport to TJ.

Danielle

Danielle

Pam, thanks very much for the reply! I will check with Lori and with the car rental company. It seems silly to rent a car, only to leave it in CA parking for 4 out of the 7 days, but the reality is that we wouldn't be driving much anyhow! I've driven in pretty nutty places (Rome, Beirut, Abu Dhabi, to name a few bumper-car like experiences), so that doesn't worry me as much -- but the insurance cost and added charge rental co. might offset the long-term parking of the car.

Thanks again! Danielle

Danielle

I know that every tolley stop going to the border has a parking lot next to it. If I remember right they were free, but I don't know how long you can park a car there. Someone else may know how long you can park at the tolley stops. Another option is you could turn in the car at your rental company at the San Diego airport and catch a bus to the transportation center, which is about 5 blocks away from the airport and then catch the tolley going to the border. Once you walk across the border you can catch a taxi to the clinic. All total, your talking $5 for the bus/tolley and $5 for the taxi in Mexico. The same would apply if you were flying into the San Diego airport. But if you were flying into San Diego airport you wouldn't need a rental car. The public transportation system in San Diego can pretty much take you any where in the San Diego area. "CHEAP"

Danielle,

It is unlikely you will be able to drive a rental into Mexico "legally". Another option for you. Rent a car 1 way from Orange County to San Diego Airport then take the OCC shuttle to the clinic. Once completed rent a car to return from San Diego to Orange County. There should be no drop fee.

Driving to the clinic is extremely easy and is only about 1 mile across the border. Why 4 days? I arrived late Thursday night, banded Friday afternoon and back home (I live in Southern California) on Saturday.

Good luck. Hope all goes well for you.

Michael

Dolittle and Michael,

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll park in the long-term parking in San Diego because that way, I'll leave most of my luggage in the car - we're spending a few days in Southern CA for family visits, and I am NOT a reasonable packer -- just wait until I get some 60-70 lbs off me -- my husband should be quaking in his boots! It does help to know about the Trolley and the drop off, though - I had no idea it was so close, and I assumed there would be a drop off fee.

Michael, my operation is on the 28th - they have me testing on the 27th, then the 28th at night I'm in the hospital - and they suggested an extra night in the hotel - so time in Mexico is Monday - Thursday morning. It's actually good because I live far away and if anything does happen, I'd rather be around! If I lived as close as you, I"d definitely do what you're doing - that's great!

Thanks again to both of you....Danielle

Dolittle and Michael,

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll park in the long-term parking in San Diego because that way, I'll leave most of my luggage in the car - we're spending a few days in Southern CA for family visits, and I am NOT a reasonable packer -- just wait until I get some 60-70 lbs off me -- my husband should be quaking in his boots! It does help to know about the Trolley and the drop off, though - I had no idea it was so close, and I assumed there would be a drop off fee.

Michael, my operation is on the 28th - they have me testing on the 27th, then the 28th at night I'm in the hospital - and they suggested an extra night in the hotel - so time in Mexico is Monday - Thursday morning. It's actually good because I live far away and if anything does happen, I'd rather be around! If I lived as close as you, I"d definitely do what you're doing - that's great!

Thanks again to both of you....Danielle

I don't know about rental car drop off fees, I've never rented a car before. I've always used the metro transit system every where I've went other than my home area. Vegas, San Fran, San Diego, etc. All big cities have great mass transit systems and I'm an adventurous type, so I jump on the bus or whatever. LOL

Hi, Danielle,

I lived in San Diego before we emigrated to Canada and used to go there regularly for RXs and Dental work. I am disabled and use an electric scooter. We used to take the trolley to the border, then walk through. Worked great.

But when we wanted a car, I bought our Mexican insurance online. There are a number of online stores I've used, but my favorite is Mexican Insurance Store. You pay with a credit card for the number of days, months or years, and print out the policy right there at your computer. I'm certain that this agency, or one of the other good online agencies is way better than getting it from some unknown quantity at the border.

When I go down in September, I plan to buy insurance just for the safety factor, drive to the hotel, and park the car there until we leave.

The main reason for the insurance is that an accident in Mexico is a felony and you can be arrested and the car impounded even if you were not at fault. In Mexico you're guilty until proven innocent under the Napoleonic Code.

All success with your surgery!

Justina