14 days and lots of questions

This is my first post so I hope it works.

My partner and I are having our surgeries on the same day, Aug. 27th and I am the type that has to be prepared for as much as possible. So any info would be great.

1. How safe did you feel leaving belongings at the hotel or did you use the safe deposit box.

2. We have not gotten our passports back yet. So how was your experience getting into Mexico from San Diego

3. Did anybody ship gifts back home instead of bringing them back.

4. We are basically planning on bringing a suitcase for stuff we buy. Is the shopping that great or is this just added crap to haul.

5. We are scheduled to have our pre-ops the same day as our surgery. How did that go for anybody else.

:-?

This is my first post so I hope it works.

My partner and I are having our surgeries on the same day, Aug. 27th and I am the type that has to be prepared for as much as possible. So any info would be great.

1. How safe did you feel leaving belongings at the hotel or did you use the safe deposit box.

2. We have not gotten our passports back yet. So how was your experience getting into Mexico from San Diego

3. Did anybody ship gifts back home instead of bringing them back.

4. We are basically planning on bringing a suitcase for stuff we buy. Is the shopping that great or is this just added crap to haul.

5. We are scheduled to have our pre-ops the same day as our surgery. How did that go for anybody else.

:-?

Hi and welcome to the forum. :) Also, CONGRATS on your upcoming surgery! It will be a great experience for you I hope. Mine was. I am in Portland also and flew in on sunday may 20th and my surgery and pre-ops were all on monday the 21st. My mom went with me and we met up with some nice people. They were sisters and we communicated before meeting up at the airport catching the same van back to TJ and at the Lucerna hotel. We walked alot shortly after we arrived and had lunch at the mexican restaurant La Casa de Mole across from the hotel. Then we caught a cab(the people at the hotel will tell you which ones to take and will even call one for you), to Revolution avenue...the big tourist hot spot for shopping. I will tell you that I for one cannot handle the haggling and sometimes aggressive store people but did find some souvenirs that I was able to just buy with US money off the shelf. There are malls around that are really nice too. Everyone takes US dollars because that is king there. Very valuable to them. The day after surgery we must have walked several miles to a mall that my mom and her friend found when me and her sister were in surgery. Neither of us ever had problems with gas pains and we think it had alot to do with all the walking before and after.

To answer some of your questions...pack very light. Less time coming back through the border in case the driver is running late and he usually is for some reason or another. Sometimes because he is going back and forth for surgery and fill patients. Are you coming alone? If so, you will have to take all your belongings with you and check out of the hotel and then check back in when you come back the day after surgery. If not, then you can leave your stuff in your room and your companion will be there while you are at OCC. When I went to TJ, I only had my US id(drivers license) and my birth certificate with me and all was ok. IF you don't have your passports back yet, then all you need is US id and a paper stating you have applied for a passport and then no problems will come about. I didn't buy enough to ship anything back, but if I did buy alot of stuff, I would have just carried it with me.

Well, I hope some of all this rambling helped you in some way.

Take care and good luck with your surgery and weight loss journey.

Peace,

Judy

Just wanted to say hi - I will be banded the day after you (August 28), so when I come in, you'll be sailing out the door! I'm Danielle and will accompanied by a harried husband and a frenetic 6 year old - will be hard to miss! Do I understand that you and your partner will both be banded? Talk about great support! ><'

All the best -- it'll be great! I love it that you're thinking about shopping and such -- haven't even thought about that aspect!

Hello. I live in San Diego and have spent a lot of time in TJ. The shopping isn't that great. I do like going over there for purses (or other leather items. I wouldn't worry aboout bringing things back across the border and you won't need a passport. When you come into Mexico you just drive right thru unless you have something to declare. Leaving Mexico is what takes forever. The line at the border is usually about two hours long. There will be "starving" and "dirty" people knocking on the window trying to sell you things. I usually just don't look at them and they walk right by. The first time to TJ makes you feel bad for the people. After umteen trips to Mexico I now see these people are making a lot of us suckers. Anyhow, when you leave Mexico they just asked what your nationality is and to look at your ID. Also, they sometimes ask what your purpose for being in Mexico was and if you have anything to declare. Just don't bring back any fruit/flowers and you should be fine. Good luck!