Anyone not lose the required preop loss?

:unsure: How is everyone doing the preop diet? I have tried starting it for the last two days and am just starving. It's so easy to say okay grab something to eat... this just sucks. Does anyone have any advice? I only had 10 to lose before surgery and actually gained 7. Now I'm down to 2 weeks and have to lose 17 pounds. OMG... I don't think I can do it.

You can do it, trust me. If I can do it, anyone can. I have the worst eating habits in the world, I literally just constantly gain weight. I certainly haven't been even close to perfect on this pre-op diet (my surgery is on 8/20), but I'm losing. I've been cranky, frustrated, hungry, and I've even wanted to eat so badly that I cried. But I'm losing weight. My toughest time is at night, so sometimes I make my husband split a lean cuisine with me. That helps a lot. I don't feel as bad if I only eat half.

The fact is that I have to do this diet. I certainly don't want to risk being turned away when I get there, or risk making the surgery more difficult because I couldn't go without. Just do your best. Start every day new even if you messed up a little (or a lot) the day before. I don't know if they gave you the same instructions as me, but Dr. Miranda told me I could eat as many cucumbers, pickles, and salad greens (with salad spritzer dressing) as I wanted. So I have definitely been doing that. It's not the taco salad I would LIKE to have, but it's better than nothing, lol. You should call Dr. Miranda and maybe she could give you some tips.

Good Luck!

~Lauren

:unsure: How is everyone doing the preop diet? I have tried starting it for the last two days and am just starving. It's so easy to say okay grab something to eat... this just sucks. Does anyone have any advice? I only had 10 to lose before surgery and actually gained 7. Now I'm down to 2 weeks and have to lose 17 pounds. OMG... I don't think I can do it.

Hi Emi,

Sorry you are having a hard time with your pre-op diet. Dr. Miranda wanted me to lose 36lbs before surgery. I lost 23 and she was so happy. I was struggling at first and then decided to quit drinking soda and leave sweets alone(mostly) ;) Within just a few days I lost 8lbs. I am still losing and not drinking soda and really limiting my sweets. The weight seemed to come off just fine when I got into the groove of drinking my protein shakes for breakfast and dinner and a lean cuisine for lunch. I ate veggies and some fruit. If I ate anything else, it would be sugar free or high fiber. Seems to help. I fell in love over the Healthy choice fudge bars. Not bad for you either even though they taste like it. :)

You can do it! You have to and we are all cheering you on!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Judy

Oh my god, this pre-op diet is so freaking hard. I am doing the 7-day all-shakes version for multiple reasons, and I'm only on my third day. I am exhausted constantly. I cried on the drive home from work yesterday. I can't run and I can barely walk my dog. I ate an entire jar of (calorie free) pickles for supper last night and that just gave me a tummy ache.

I have lost 3.6 lbs and have 8.4 lbs to go. I am really afraid I'm not going to lose all 12 lbs Dr. Miranda told me to lose. I'm one of those people that hates angering/disappointing people so I'm not even so much worried about the surgery as I am Dr. Miranda being mad I didn't lose all 12.

Ah, well. Two days down, five more to go. I surely won't die. But probably my friends and family will be wishing I did by the end!

Vex

Just relax....remember all scales aren't created equal, so a few pounds one way or another she isn't going to be mad, just maintain you lost the twelve, if her scales show less by pound or two who would know. Not saying to cheat, just relax, also remember OCC is a business, as long as it's healthy to operate, they will. Again the whole point is being in calorie deficiency and not caloric surplus for the liver to shrink.

Vex

Just relax....remember all scales aren't created equal, so a few pounds one way or another she isn't going to be mad, just maintain you lost the twelve, if her scales show less by pound or two who would know. Not saying to cheat, just relax, also remember OCC is a business, as long as it's healthy to operate, they will. Again the whole point is being in calorie deficiency and not caloric surplus for the liver to shrink.

Thanks for the advice, Tom. I like the "my scale at home TOTALLY says I lost 12!" part. I also weigh myself first thing in the morning before dressing. So in the car yesterday on they way home, crying on my boyfriend's shoulder, I wailed, "I so should have lied on the paperwork and said I was 10 lbs heavier! Oh yeah and put on all of my winter coats before weighing, too!"

I got a laugh for that one but I was serious.

Thanks for the advice, Tom. I like the "my scale at home TOTALLY says I lost 12!" part. I also weigh myself first thing in the morning before dressing. So in the car yesterday on they way home, crying on my boyfriend's shoulder, I wailed, "I so should have lied on the paperwork and said I was 10 lbs heavier! Oh yeah and put on all of my winter coats before weighing, too!"

I got a laugh for that one but I was serious.

I'm right there too, Vex. This is tough. I had a BAD day yesterday. Strayed from the diet a little at lunch and by the end of the day I was WAY off track. I'm not sure what's going to happen when I get to OCC. I think my scale is weird. It's only a couple years old and I put a new battery in it right before I started this, but it seems to jump around a lot. Oh well, I'm doing my best, probably will have lost about 10 of the 12 when I get there. That's what I'm figuring. I'm thinking like Tom on this one, it IS a business, and I'm all paid up, so I doubt they are going to hand me back my 8k and send me packing because of 2 pounds, if I'm otherwise healthy for the operation.

I'm like you Vex, I HATE to disappoint people, just thinking about that makes me stressed (which makes me want to eat, henceforth the cycle ...). If I get scolded, I'll be crushed. :(

~Lauren

I'm right there too, Vex. This is tough. I had a BAD day yesterday. Strayed from the diet a little at lunch and by the end of the day I was WAY off track. I'm not sure what's going to happen when I get to OCC. I think my scale is weird. It's only a couple years old and I put a new battery in it right before I started this, but it seems to jump around a lot. Oh well, I'm doing my best, probably will have lost about 10 of the 12 when I get there. That's what I'm figuring. I'm thinking like Tom on this one, it IS a business, and I'm all paid up, so I doubt they are going to hand me back my 8k and send me packing because of 2 pounds, if I'm otherwise healthy for the operation.

I'm like you Vex, I HATE to disappoint people, just thinking about that makes me stressed (which makes me want to eat, henceforth the cycle ...). If I get scolded, I'll be crushed. :(

~Lauren

I haven't strayed... yet. Its only been 2 and a half days, though. I have to spend most of tomorrow (1 p.m. - evening) at a friend's party/barbeque. Its celebrating a very big accomplishment for him, so bowing out is not an option. But, oh lord, just the thought of all that yummy food spread out over a huge table is making me sad.

Good luck with the rest of your pre-op diet, Lauren. Please PM me IMMEDIATELY if Dr. Miranda scolds you. Heehee. I'm kidding... sorta.