New to the boards

Hey Everybody,

I have been looking at and researching the Lap-Band for sometime now. I think that it along with counseling would be a great tool for me. I am about 190 and my BMI is only 32.6. I have about 70 lbs that I need to lose. I am sure that I could lose some of that on my own, but not all of it and I woud probably gain it back. Is there anyone else on here that was banded and had a smaller amount that they needed to lose like myself? I have BCBS and I have not researched with them, but if they are like most insurances, I will not qualify because my BMI is not high enough and I do not have any diagnosed co-morbities. Although, I do have depression and varicose veins due to my weight (I'm only 22) and I think I have bladder retention, I'm not sure if they are considered comorbities? So, I will undoubtedly be paying for it myself. I would most certainly have to take out a loan to cover the cost of banding, but I have poor credit. I feel that if I do not make a change soon, I will continue to gain weight rapidly... Being obese is stealing my life and all of my opportunities away from me.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me?

I would love to hear from you.

Hi Tru,

Talk to your own doctor about lap band. Some Blue Cross plans cover the surgery if your BMI is 35 or over with co-morbidities. The conditions you list are comorbidities, but you will probably need your doctor on your side to get them written up properly. My BCBS also requires a doctor's referral. Luckily, my doctor is familiar with Dr. Ortiz and endorses him. Just start checking out your health insurance resources. It seems so silly to have to GAIN weight before your health insurance will help you with this. I guess they are hoping you will switch companies before they will have to pay for the long-term effects of obesity. Good luck!

Hi Tru,

Talk to your own doctor about lap band. Some Blue Cross plans cover the surgery if your BMI is 35 or over with co-morbidities. The conditions you list are comorbidities, but you will probably need your doctor on your side to get them written up properly. My BCBS also requires a doctor's referral. Luckily, my doctor is familiar with Dr. Ortiz and endorses him. Just start checking out your health insurance resources. It seems so silly to have to GAIN weight before your health insurance will help you with this. I guess they are hoping you will switch companies before they will have to pay for the long-term effects of obesity. Good luck!

Snowbird, thanks for replying!

That thing you wrote about having to gain weight before anyone helps you is my thought exactly!!! I have been having a really hard time finding doctors or counselors that understand. I broached the subject with my doctor and she acted as if I was crazy. "Megan, why do you think you need a lapband?" Hmmmm, shall we do a recap? I am 5'4" 190 lbs, as a result I have bladder retention, depression, CONSTANT fatigue, horrible bulging veins which not only hurt but I am sure predispose me to things like DVT. And the list of negative ways in which this fat affects my life goes on and on. I have been overweight since I was 11 years old and obesity runs heavily in both sides of my family. I once told a dietician that I think I have a compulsive overeating problem and she looked at me and said "I don't think so, you're not that big." I mean good god do I have to 500 lbs and struggling to breathe for someone to take me seriously when I say that I have a problem and that I need help? The ways that this has already affected my life are too numerous to count and I am sure that it will hold me back in an untold number of ways if something does not change. Does anyone know how I might get some real help or find a doctor that will be on my side?

Snowbird, thanks for replying!

That thing you wrote about having to gain weight before anyone helps you is my thought exactly!!! I have been having a really hard time finding doctors or counselors that understand. I broached the subject with my doctor and she acted as if I was crazy. "Megan, why do you think you need a lapband?" Hmmmm, shall we do a recap? I am 5'4" 190 lbs, as a result I have bladder retention, depression, CONSTANT fatigue, horrible bulging veins which not only hurt but I am sure predispose me to things like DVT. And the list of negative ways in which this fat affects my life goes on and on. I have been overweight since I was 11 years old and obesity runs heavily in both sides of my family. I once told a dietician that I think I have a compulsive overeating problem and she looked at me and said "I don't think so, you're not that big." I mean good god do I have to 500 lbs and struggling to breathe for someone to take me seriously when I say that I have a problem and that I need help? The ways that this has already affected my life are too numerous to count and I am sure that it will hold me back in an untold number of ways if something does not change. Does anyone know how I might get some real help or find a doctor that will be on my side?

I know how you feel with the doctor thing. My gyno was dead set against me getting the surgery (and still is, quite honestly). Luckily my primary physician took the time to sit down with me, give me a full medical evaluation, ask me questions about my life and behaviors before giving me his opinion and he's been incredibly supportive of me ever since. Unfortunately there's no database anywhere for that kind of thing. The best advice I can give is to ask your friends and family if they know someone. You don't have to tell them what you want to talk to the doctor about if you don't want to. Just say you're looking for a doctor who is easy to talk to and will listen to your problems.