DAY 6

Hello All, Going back to work today, I'm ready to get back to my regular schedule! I want to make sure that I am eating enough to keep my strengh up and healing going great? I had yesterday 1/2 cup cream of wheat made with 1% milk, 1/2 cup tomato soup with 1% milk stirred in, and 4ozs of a protien shake sipped on in the evening, and of coarse sipping on water thoughout the day. I am really feeling amazing, only some tightness and tenderness. Any ideas on anything else to eat until my day 14? Thanks so much, Jana

My starting weight 180, 5'3" BMI OBESE 10/04/07

173 10/09/07

Sorry I meant NOT EATING ENOUGH, NOT NOY. I couldn't edit the title.

Are you Dr. Ortiz's patient? I thought he recommended clear liquids for the first week. Am I imagining my next couple of weeks worse than they really will be?

No I went to Dr. Webber in Detroit. This was the only message board that I found. I had clear liquids first 3 days, the tomato soup, ect is still liquids, I will have that until DAY 14.

Are you Dr. Ortiz's patient? I thought he recommended clear liquids for the first week. Am I imagining my next couple of weeks worse than they really will be?

Different docs have different rules. Dr. Ortiz IS clear liquids for like the first 6 days. Sorry, Snowbird! Lol.

Different docs have different rules. Dr. Ortiz IS clear liquids for like the first 6 days. Sorry, Snowbird! Lol.

Well, considering you don't even get home til day 3, I think I can stand it. I was surprised that Dr Miranda said we could fudge a little and start yogurt as early as day 4 if we were feeling well, but I don't think Im going to push it.

Well, considering you don't even get home til day 3, I think I can stand it. I was surprised that Dr Miranda said we could fudge a little and start yogurt as early as day 4 if we were feeling well, but I don't think Im going to push it.

I think Dr. Miranda's term was "nothing that you can't sip through a straw". I'm not sure cream of wheat is in that category but, if you can tolerate it, it's probably not bad. I ate a ton of sugar free popsicles (tropical flavors are great!) and sugar free jello.

Hello All, Going back to work today, I'm ready to get back to my regular schedule! I want to make sure that I am eating enough to keep my strengh up and healing going great? I had yesterday 1/2 cup cream of wheat made with 1% milk, 1/2 cup tomato soup with 1% milk stirred in, and 4ozs of a protien shake sipped on in the evening, and of coarse sipping on water thoughout the day. I am really feeling amazing, only some tightness and tenderness. Any ideas on anything else to eat until my day 14? Thanks so much, Jana

173 10/09/07

We were told you could start things like liquid yogurt as early as the fourth day if you were feeling okay. We found some organic soups in boxes at Sprout's (don't know if you have them wherever you are) that are good and easy to pour small servings out of. The tomato and the potato leek are quite yummy.

We were told you could start things like liquid yogurt as early as the fourth day if you were feeling okay. We found some organic soups in boxes at Sprout's (don't know if you have them wherever you are) that are good and easy to pour small servings out of. The tomato and the potato leek are quite yummy.

I was there @ OCC on the 10th with my daughter Hannah. So, you sound like you are doing well. Hannah is getting really frustrated with the cream stuff. Now , she is wondering about the runny mashed potatoes and I am unlcear if that is okay. Is it nothing if you can't drink it until the 31st? Were you there with your husband? How is he ? If that is you..... thanks for any info..... Stephanie

Yup, that's me. he is doing well, except he is hungry more than I am. I am starting to get the hunger pangs, though.

Yes, it's nothing you can't drink until October 31 for us. Today I took a half cup of beef broth and mixed about a tablespoon of instant mashed potatoes into it. I could have got it up through a straw, so I guess it was legal. However, it had enough texture that it satisfied my cravings for "real food." I also made some baked custard yesterday and dissolved it in my mouth with a sip of water before swallowing. I try to take everything very slow: small portions, small sips, lots of time between sips. I also drink water along with any drink thas has any texture, including cream soups. I know once we get to solids we aren't supposed to drink with our meals, but I would think it is advisable at this point to get some water in with the thicker stuff.

I also don't think we have to worry about the "only three meals a day" rule while we are on the liquid diet. We are only taking in about 50 calories with a half cup of cream soup, and obviously 150 calories a day isn't enough to keep your strength up. Generally speaking, I am getting down about 500 calories a day, which is still next to nothing. I have lost 8 pounds since surgery.

Our best to Hannah; it's going to be a long three weeks, but it will end eventually! If you two come up with any great liquid food ideas, let us know!

The general rule is that anything you can get through a straw is ok once you reach full liquids. Of course, if you have to alter something a little bit to make it go through the straw, I don't see how that could be a problem. In the last week or so of the post op diet I would take soups and run them through the blender until they were smooth as milk. That way I still got all the nutrition from the full soup without having to worry about it causing a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

173 10/09/07

I ate, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicyles, cottage cheese, cream of potato soup with velveeta cheese added for a protein, V-8 juice, scrambled eggs, baked potato, mashed potato, broccoli cheese soup, light grape juice, cream of chicken soup, and I drank one slim fast as I felt I needed the minerals and vitamins.