Dr. Ortiz & team - what was the experience?

Hi, I am considering doing this. My BMI is 50 so you know where I am. Since Mexico is such a cheaper route, I am anxious about going down to another country without insurance and such....what was this experience like? Can you please reaasure me? Shan

Hi, I am considering doing this. My BMI is 50 so you know where I am. Since Mexico is such a cheaper route, I am anxious about going down to another country without insurance and such....what was this experience like? Can you please reaasure me? Shan

Shanny,

I was so scared to do this but the more I researched about my doctor (Ortiz) the more comfortable I felt. I had to put a deposit in a bank account and that was kind of strange at first but I was so excited about getting this done that I was willing to take a chance. My experience once I got there put my mind at ease. The whole process has been positive so far. I was banded on Sept 6th (hence Sweet September).

I feel great because I am eating less than I was before although I can't wait for my first fill because my appitite is almost back to normal. The care I recieved was better than here in the states. The nurses and doctors really seem to care about me. The equipment seemed state of the art and the accomodations were 5 star.

I would do this again and I have been recommending it to a real good friend.

Shanny, I had my surgery August 20th and everything went really well.

I was skeptical when my husband first suggested me going to Mexico for the surgery, rather than paying the $20k the doc here wanted. I thought to myself, "He is willing to throw me under the bus in order to save a few bucks!" Well, of course after I started researching I couldn't find anything negative about Dr. Ortiz online. I Googled "Dr. Ortiz horror stories" and "Dr. Ortiz reviews" just to name a couple and I couldn't come up with anything but glowing positives. So I decided to go for it. Everything was just as everyone on here had said all along. Dr. Ortiz and his staff were awesome. Everything was clean and nice and went as smoothly as I could have hoped for. The next day I was walking around Tijuana with my husband doing some shopping. I didn't believe I would be able to do that so soon after, even though I heard folks on here saying so. I was worried about being out of the country and what if something happened to me? But it was fine, and all the terrible scenarios that had played through my mind of what might happen to me if I dared leave my safe little life and take a risk for a healthier future were quickly set aside when I got to Mexico and saw what a smooth operation (no pun intended) Dr. Ortiz is running.

Good luck with your decision!

Take care,

~Lauren

Sharon,

I went along with my daughter to Dr Ortiz's clinic last year when she had her surgery. My insurance will pay for this surgery, but my husband and I are still going to Dr Ortiz. Hope that tells you how we feel!

Hi Sharon...I had my surgery the same day as Lauren who has also responded to your inquiry...I can't tell you how great the whole staff was at Dr. Ortiz's office...The facility was sparkling clean, the equipment was state of the art and I can't say enough about the nurse that took care of me...she was wonderful and truly made me feel like she cared about me. I just had my first fill done at Dr. Ortiz's office this past Saturday and the whole staff was wonderful even though I had missed my flight and was behind schedule by 1 1/2 hours which put everyone's schedule off. I would have no problem recommending someone to Dr. Ortiz. =D>

Sharon,

I went along with my daughter to Dr Ortiz's clinic last year when she had her surgery. My insurance will pay for this surgery, but my husband and I are still going to Dr Ortiz. Hope that tells you how we feel!

Snowbird, I'm not sure how to read your comment, can you expand. When you say "but my husband and I are still going to Dr. Ortiz", it almost sounds like a negative remark. Am I reading something that isn't intended?

Oh, without a doubt, the OCC is medically top notch. Check out their credentials and experience and you will trust they are the best. We Americans think we are the best at everything, but in this arena we can definitely improve. I am a NP and have been in many hospitals and surgery centers in the US and can tell you that my experience at the OCC was better than what I have seen in the US. They are very professional, the facility as clean or cleaner than those in the US and their experience is untouchable to anything I am aware of in the US. They will pick you up at the airport, and take you to the hotel (five star) you wouldn't know you weren't just in San Diego. It is beautiful and the service is superior to most places in the US.

If you are concerned about TJ, then don't walk the streets. Take a taxi that the hotel can call for you.

If you are concerned about the medical care, don't be. They are more experienced than you will find in the US and the doctors can be reached at anytime. They will take very good care of you. I would recommend anyone to them. Good luck to you. Do your research for yourself and you will become more and more confident with your decision. Cyndi

Snowbird, I'm not sure how to read your comment, can you expand. When you say "but my husband and I are still going to Dr. Ortiz", it almost sounds like a negative remark. Am I reading something that isn't intended?

No, Sassy! I'm saying that even though I don't have to be concerned about the cost of the surgery since my insurance will cover it, and I could have it done right here where I live and it would be much more convenient, we went to Dr Ortiz anyway since he is the most experienced and his clinic is the best. Sorry I wasn't clearer; trying too hard to be cute, I guess.

Hi Shanny.

I was scheduled for surgery on the 12th but ended up going on the 11th. Everything went great. All of the doctors and nursing staff were wonderful. I am back at the Lucerna and am having no pain at all. It hardly feels like I had anything done. I would recommend them to anyone. If you want to know more email me and I will get back to you.

Karen

Oh, without a doubt, the OCC is medically top notch. Check out their credentials and experience and you will trust they are the best. We Americans think we are the best at everything, but in this arena we can definitely improve. I am a NP and have been in many hospitals and surgery centers in the US and can tell you that my experience at the OCC was better than what I have seen in the US. They are very professional, the facility as clean or cleaner than those in the US and their experience is untouchable to anything I am aware of in the US. They will pick you up at the airport, and take you to the hotel (five star) you wouldn't know you weren't just in San Diego. It is beautiful and the service is superior to most places in the US.

If you are concerned about TJ, then don't walk the streets. Take a taxi that the hotel can call for you.

If you are concerned about the medical care, don't be. They are more experienced than you will find in the US and the doctors can be reached at anytime. They will take very good care of you. I would recommend anyone to them. Good luck to you. Do your research for yourself and you will become more and more confident with your decision. Cyndi

Thank you so much for your comments. They do make me feel more confident and at peace that i am making not only a good decision, but the best. :D

Thank you so much for your comments. They do make me feel more confident and at peace that i am making not only a good decision, but the best. :D

Shanny,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on July 10, 2006. I weighed in the morning of surgery at 472 lbs, and I've lost 70 lbs since (I have a foot problem that prevents me from exercising currently, so that's all from a change in diet). I would go back to Dr. Ortiz in a heartbeat. The clinic was super clean, the staff was experienced and friendly, and the care and compassion I received was so much better there than what my father and sisters received here in the US during their stays in the hospital. In fact, I never even met the surgeons who operated on my 2 sisters or even the assistant surgeons, but my sister who came with me met all of my surgical team, and Dr. Ortiz himself spoke to her when I was in recovery.

I only wish I'd done this sooner.

Kelli

hey i jsut got the band on the 10th and being in this hostpital was one of the best experiences ever ... it helps if you know spanish but the people there are so nice they are like the sweetest nurses ever.... and they are there with you thru the night for whatever you need ... if you have anyother questions let me know and i will try to helo you out

Shanny,

I was so scared to do this but the more I researched about my doctor (Ortiz) the more comfortable I felt. I had to put a deposit in a bank account and that was kind of strange at first but I was so excited about getting this done that I was willing to take a chance. My experience once I got there put my mind at ease. The whole process has been positive so far. I was banded on Sept 6th (hence Sweet September).

I feel great because I am eating less than I was before although I can't wait for my first fill because my appitite is almost back to normal. The care I recieved was better than here in the states. The nurses and doctors really seem to care about me. The equipment seemed state of the art and the accomodations were 5 star.

I would do this again and I have been recommending it to a real good friend.

I am new to this forum but I wanted to share my experience with Dr. Ortiz... HE WAS WONDERFUL!!! (I was banded on the 6th of Sep. as well, so I must of met you "sweet september"! e-mail me at klenhoff@juno.com so we can catch up!) However, Shanny, you share all of the same fears and concerns that we all did, I know, it sounds weird at first, the whole money down, out of the country thing... but I will never go anywhere else! If I had to do it all over again and could get financing in the US I would still go to Dr. Ortiz! My sister had hers done here in the US and has had one problem after the next. I have had no problems what so ever. I feel so lucky to have found him. He is the best Dr. in the world! You will have no regrets! I have never heard anyone who has had a bad experience with him, I don't think any other doc can say that! I am going back Oct. 27th for my first fill! I would not trust anyone else to work on me!!!

=D>

=D> The experience was wonderful. The clinic is the cleanest I have ever been in, the staff are wonderful and they take great care of you. My daughter had gone with me in April for my banding and she to was impressed with the experience.

I was banded April 2nd and have had one fill. I have only lost 25 pounds which is somewhat discouraging but I hope to loose more. =D>

=D>

=D> The experience was wonderful. The clinic is the cleanest I have ever been in, the staff are wonderful and they take great care of you. My daughter had gone with me in April for my banding and she to was impressed with the experience.

I was banded April 2nd and have had one fill. I have only lost 25 pounds which is somewhat discouraging but I hope to loose more. =D>

My sister is looking and trying to decide between OCC and a doctor at Angeles Hospital in Tijuana