March 10th - I hope

Hello everyone, I have researched lapband for quite some time and I even went to a seminar in Memphis, TN a couple of years ago. I was told then that I needed to be at least 100 lbs overweight and, in general, I felt like it was an assembly line situation on top of everything else. I left there pretty discouraged.

Today, I watched Oprah and I was so impressed with Cassie and her mom. To be so young and so determined! I admire Cassie's strength and resolve to change her life at such a young age! And, I admire her mom for getting the best care for her daughter. =D> I have been inspired by both of them and if Cassie can do it, I can do it. She may have been one of the youngest and I may be one of the oldest!

I have tentatively scheduled my lapband for March 10th and will go ahead with it if funding works out. Please wish me luck! I live in Northeast Mississippi but I'm a retired Marine's wife so the travel is no big deal to me.

I was tall and skinny until I turned 50 and had to quit exercising because of nerve damage in my feet (long story). I have gained 70 lbs since then and now weigh 230. That is hard to admit, much less say in a forum!

Anyway, I will be 57 on 2/12/08 and this really is something to think about at my age! Not that I'm ancient or anything but I am a grandmother. The thing is, it sure would be nice to play with my grandchildren and run with them the way that I want to. And it sure would be nice to get off some of the medication I have to take everyday. The bottomline is that being fat makes me feel OLD!

Sorry for the ramblings! One question I have is about the "fills." I understand that I'll need to find a dr here to do them and I hope that won't be a problem but I live in a rather rural area in comparison to a big city so it might be tough. Also, getting a dr here to do a fill when I've had the procedure in Mexico. I'm sure they'll think I'm insane.

Are the fills painful? How often do you need them? Do you have to get them for the rest of your life? Thank you!

Best wishes and peace to everyone! Any and all advice or comments are appreciated. ><'

Thank you so much. I am going to print all these fabulous comments from such Terrific and Positive People. Jenn

Hello everyone, I have researched lapband for quite some time and I even went to a seminar in Memphis, TN a couple of years ago. I was told then that I needed to be at least 100 lbs overweight and, in general, I felt like it was an assembly line situation on top of everything else. I left there pretty discouraged.

Today, I watched Oprah and I was so impressed with Cassie and her mom. To be so young and so determined! I admire Cassie's strength and resolve to change her life at such a young age! And, I admire her mom for getting the best care for her daughter. =D> I have been inspired by both of them and if Cassie can do it, I can do it. She may have been one of the youngest and I may be one of the oldest!

I have tentatively scheduled my lapband for March 10th and will go ahead with it if funding works out. Please wish me luck! I live in Northeast Mississippi but I'm a retired Marine's wife so the travel is no big deal to me.

I was tall and skinny until I turned 50 and had to quit exercising because of nerve damage in my feet (long story). I have gained 70 lbs since then and now weigh 230. That is hard to admit, much less say in a forum!

Anyway, I will be 57 on 2/12/08 and this really is something to think about at my age! Not that I'm ancient or anything but I am a grandmother. The thing is, it sure would be nice to play with my grandchildren and run with them the way that I want to. And it sure would be nice to get off some of the medication I have to take everyday. The bottomline is that being fat makes me feel OLD!

Sorry for the ramblings! One question I have is about the "fills." I understand that I'll need to find a dr here to do them and I hope that won't be a problem but I live in a rather rural area in comparison to a big city so it might be tough. Also, getting a dr here to do a fill when I've had the procedure in Mexico. I'm sure they'll think I'm insane.

Are the fills painful? How often do you need them? Do you have to get them for the rest of your life? Thank you!

Best wishes and peace to everyone! Any and all advice or comments are appreciated. ><'

Well, I commend you on your decision! I was banded on Dec 7th and am soon approaching 50 and felt so old and was on so many medications for various obesity related conditions. I am down about 40 pounds now and have been able to stop taking medication for my GERD, which I have taken since in my 20's, the Dr. is talking about discontinuing my medication for Diabetes and Hypertension already as things are looking so good.

The fill was a piece of cake! Uncomfortable, but not really painful (I am a big baby). I chose to return to Tijuana for my fills....I trust them completely! For me it is only a day trip from Seattle area. You only need to get the fills as you need them, some people need more than others to find the "sweet" spot to get the right amount in the band. If you read past posts there is tons of information there.

I think Cassie is amazing! Her Mom is incredible too, and I wish I had a Mom that would have done this for me when I was younger. Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant people out there that are criticising them......probably never had a weight problem or an overweight teen!

Best Wishes.

Donna

Thanks Donna! I have checked here and the closest fill center for me will be in Atlanta, GA, about a 5 to 6 hour drive. That does put a bit of a crimp in things for me as I will have to drive there but at least I have found something. I'm still working on understanding the fills. I realize that you have to find the "sweet spot" but then, is that it? How often, on average, say - yearly, do you have to get fills? I will also ask Lori this question since she's agreed to help me with these things but I just wondered what others in forum have to say. I am older but I am in college so it will be harder for me to get to the fill center in Atlanta.

Thanks for your comments!

Well, I commend you on your decision! I was banded on Dec 7th and am soon approaching 50 and felt so old and was on so many medications for various obesity related conditions. I am down about 40 pounds now and have been able to stop taking medication for my GERD, which I have taken since in my 20's, the Dr. is talking about discontinuing my medication for Diabetes and Hypertension already as things are looking so good.

The fill was a piece of cake! Uncomfortable, but not really painful (I am a big baby). I chose to return to Tijuana for my fills....I trust them completely! For me it is only a day trip from Seattle area. You only need to get the fills as you need them, some people need more than others to find the "sweet" spot to get the right amount in the band. If you read past posts there is tons of information there.

I think Cassie is amazing! Her Mom is incredible too, and I wish I had a Mom that would have done this for me when I was younger. Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant people out there that are criticising them......probably never had a weight problem or an overweight teen!

Best Wishes.

Donna