Lap Band for low BMI (33)

Hello all

I saw where a couple of you were able to get the lap band with low BMIs. What docs did this for you? Where these docs in the U.S.? Will insurance cover this?

Thanks 4 all our help!

Tina

HELLO TINA, MY SURGERY IS SCHEDULED FOR 3\25\08 WITH DR. ORTIZ. MY BMI IS 33. NO DOCTOR IN THE STATES WILL TOUCH ME....THEY SAY I'M OBESE BUT NOT MORBIDLY OBESE!! MY INSURANCE DOESN'T COVER ANY TYPE OF WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY, HIGH BMI OR NOT. I'M PAYING FOR IT MYSELF. HAVE YOU CHECKED INTO LAP BAND SURGERY? CHECK OUT DR. ORTIZ, HE KNOW'S HIS STUFF!! HOPE THIS HELPS! DARLENE :-h

Tina,

My insurance would cover BMI of 35 or above if you had another health problem stemming from obesity, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

My BMI was 35 and I was banded by Dr. Ortiz. My insurance reimbursed me over $7100 of the surgery cost. For some reason, my husband was reimbursed $7900 of the charge--same insurance.

Keep in mind that this forum is Dr. Ortiz's, set up on his website, so most (though not all) of the people here were banded by him. He is a competent and experienced surgeon, and banded my daughter, my husband, and myself. I recommend him highly. However, if you are banded in mexico you need to be sure you either have access to fills in the US or are able to get back to Tijuana for fills with Dr. Ortiz's clinic. My husband and I live in Phoenix, so we can drive to Tijuana and back in a day. My daughter lives in Washington state, so she gets her fills locally up there.