Flying from the East coast

I am seriously considering flying to Mexico for the lap-band since my insurance does not cover it. I would be coming from Pennsylvania. Is 2 days recuperation in Mexico enough to be able to fly that far home? I'm nervous about that. Also, they say you must fast the day you come down so they can do a blood test the day before surgery, but for me, that would mean a tremendous amount of time to not be able to eat since I would be coming from so far away. Also, what if there are any complications later. Can I get treatment in the US since I didn't get banded here? One more question, is the hospital and hotel located in a scuzzy part of Mexico? Last time I was in Tijuana (25 years ago) it was quite disgusting. Also, beyond clothing, what would I need to bring? Can anyone help answer these questions? I almost have my mind made up to go on and do it. I haven't heard anything negative AT ALL which kind of worries me. I mean, there HAS to be SOMETHING negative or else I would think that this board is full of planted people.

Oh, I forgot, what is the maximum time I can get off of work? I ask because I have disability insurance through work but I would need to be out 2 weeks to get a paycheck. I know it doesn't usually take that long to recuperate, but I am wondering if the Doctor can and will fill out disability paperwork for me. DOes anyone know?

THanks for any help you can supply.

Ok first let me assure you that I am NOT a plant. Seriously, I fix computers for a construction company. You can see my photobucket album I put together of my weight loss at

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s61/cly...nt=d5f61f19.pbw

Ok, on to your questions:

After surgery I felt pretty good. Just sore and a little bloated. I only took one pain pill after my surgery and two days later flew back home to Seattle by myself. Now granted flying to Pennsylvania is a 6-7 hour flight as opposed to 3, but I think you'll do fine. If you're concerned about it, bring someone with you to handle the ticketing and luggage. The hotel room included in your surgery has two beds so they'll be comfortable accommodated. If you are otherwise in good health and don't have any problems getting around now, I think you'll do fine after surgery.

When you make your appointment with Dr Ortiz, they'll ask you to get in contact with their nutritionist Dr Miranda. She'll give you details on fasting. Usually they say the night before but if you explain you have to take a long flight, she'll give you the exact amount of hours you need to fast so you can get a late meal in.

If you have an emergency, especially something life threatening, doctors can't turn you away because you were banded outside of the country. However, before you decide to head down to Mexico you should do some research in your area and find someone who will do fills for people banded in Mexico. Some doctors won't do fills for people banded outside of the country and you'll want to figure out what will be required of you to get your fills before jumping in. Among the information they'll give you before you head home is Dr Ortiz's cell phone number. You can call anytime if you are having problems and he can give you advice.

I don't remember much of Tijuana while I was there. The driver for OCC will pick you up at the airport and take you back to catch your returning flight. You don't have to interact with the city any more than you want to. That being said, what I do remember is about the same as any other major city I've been in. The hotel is very nice, as is the clinic, and outside my hospital window was a Costco.

The maximum time to get off work is between you and your boss. I took a week off before going back to work. I have no knowledge of the disability system or what they'll accept. You can always call the clinic and ask.

I am seriously considering flying to Mexico for the lap-band since my insurance does not cover it. I would be coming from Pennsylvania. Is 2 days recuperation in Mexico enough to be able to fly that far home? I'm nervous about that. Also, they say you must fast the day you come down so they can do a blood test the day before surgery, but for me, that would mean a tremendous amount of time to not be able to eat since I would be coming from so far away. Also, what if there are any complications later. Can I get treatment in the US since I didn't get banded here? One more question, is the hospital and hotel located in a scuzzy part of Mexico? Last time I was in Tijuana (25 years ago) it was quite disgusting. Also, beyond clothing, what would I need to bring? Can anyone help answer these questions? I almost have my mind made up to go on and do it. I haven't heard anything negative AT ALL which kind of worries me. I mean, there HAS to be SOMETHING negative or else I would think that this board is full of planted people.

Oh, I forgot, what is the maximum time I can get off of work? I ask because I have disability insurance through work but I would need to be out 2 weeks to get a paycheck. I know it doesn't usually take that long to recuperate, but I am wondering if the Doctor can and will fill out disability paperwork for me. DOes anyone know?

I think two days recup time is ample.. This surgery is minimally invasive. I remember several of us newly banded patients walked all over Revolution Ave and back to the Hotel Lucerna the next day. We must have walked 5 miles that day. But everyone is different. The OCC picks you up at the hotel and takes you back. The hotel and the clinic are about 8 blocks from each other along Avenue of the Hero's. This area of TJ isn't that bad. Pack light, your in the clinic for a day and you'll probably stay around the hotel till you leave, unless you feel good enough to go walking around. But as in all big cities,, walk in a group for your own safety. There's new grocery stores a couple blocks away,, a mall 4 blocks away. All kinds of stuff along Ave of the Hero's. If your concerned about safety,, take a cab to and fro Revolution Ave and the hotel. We walked and didn't have any problems. Most people go back to work a couple days after surgery, that is if you don't have a physical job. But you'll see how easy this surgery is and be able to tell how you feel about going back to work. I don't know how long your flight is and what it does to you getting a blood test. They did my blood work the day of my surgery because I came in so late the day before. I can't answer your other questions,,, maybe another member might be able to,,, Your OCC coordinator might be able to answer the disability issue.

Thanks for all your help!!

I am pretty sure I will be headed out that way late March. My sister is coming with me. She was just banded here on January 4th. But her insurance paid for it. In fact, her insurance is going to pay for her boob job when she loses all her weight too!

Clynn - I went and saw your photos and you look great!! I'm so excited!

I decided to start on an Atkins diet yesterday to give myself plenty of time to lose before coming. Even if I change my mind, I still need to do it. I wrote a letter asking my insurance company to pay for this as medically necessary even though it is not a covered charge. I have sleep apnea so my doctor wrote to them also explaining that I should have it so I will see. I am almost hoping they don't pay for it now because Mexico sounds so much better. They seem to have more experience and of course, the cost is tons lower.

If I have it here, I have to wait 6 months because they require that sort of program around here. It's funny, you have to see a nutritionist, a surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc... but they spreadit out over 6 months and in Mexico you get it all in one day. But it is all the same things. Even the blood and lung tests. I just don't see the point in making you wait so long. Thats another plus for Mexico, may as well get it started now, right!

Yes, I think I have myself talked into it now.

Is it crazy to come to Mexico and pay for it out of my own pocket when my insurance MIGHT end up paying it? I feel like I want to regardless of the cost to me. It somehow seems safer. And it's funny I say that because when I first thought about it, I thought surgery in another country - NO WAY! But now, it seems like the better option.

HELLO MONA-CAMILLE,

I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT I'M NOT A PLANT EITHER,LOL! I WILL BE HAVING MY LAPBAND ON MARCH 25th [FLYING OUT OF CENTRAL PA. MARCH 24th] I RESEARCHED LAPBAND ON THE INTERNET FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW AND I TRUELY THINK DR. ORTIZ IS THE MOST EXPERIANCED DR. IN OR OUT OF THE U.S.!! I BOUGHT HIS BOOK AND IT REALLY HELPED ME MAKE MY DECISION. I WILL BE GOING BY MYSELF, MY HUSBAND SUPPORTS ME BUT WILL BE TAKING CARE OF OUR DAUGHTER. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT KNOW I'M GOING IS MY OLDEST DAUGHTER, HUBBY AND ONE FRIEND. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY CRAP FROM FAMILY.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT WORK, I'LL BE LAID-OFF AT THAT TIME. I HAVE CALLED DR.'S IN PITTSBURGH AND THEY'LL DO FILLS FOR ANYONE. I THINK I'LL BE GOING BACK TO DR.O FOR MY FIRST FILL THOUGH. MAYBE I'LL SEE YOU IF YOU SCHEDULE YOUR SURGERY FOR MARCH 25th!! GOOD LUCK, AND I'M NOT WORRIED AT ALL.... JUST EXCITED TO GET IT DONE!! :D DARLENE

Is it crazy to come to Mexico and pay for it out of my own pocket when my insurance MIGHT end up paying it? I feel like I want to regardless of the cost to me. It somehow seems safer. And it's funny I say that because when I first thought about it, I thought surgery in another country - NO WAY! But now, it seems like the better option.

LOOK AT A FEW THREADS PEOPLE HAVE STARTED WHERE THEY'VE TURNED DR ORTIZ BILL INTO THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY AFTER SURGERY

GOOD LUCK TO YOU :)

LOOK AT A FEW THREADS PEOPLE HAVE STARTED WHERE THEY'VE TURNED DR ORTIZ BILL INTO THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY AFTER SURGERY

GOOD LUCK TO YOU :)

First off, No plant here, had Lapband with Dr. Ortiz on Dec. 7 and it is wonderful and the experience was fabulous. I did my homework first and I was so impressed with the care and professionalism with the clinic. The patients who have gone there rave about it and a lot of them I met down there in the clinic and hotel as well as some that live nearby me. My insurance said they wouldn't pay, but I still have filed a claim with them to try to recoup some of the cost. I am hoping.....but even if they don't pay I would have to say it is worth the cost! I feel great, am down 40 pounds already and am looking a lot better and my attitude is so much better about myself. I am eating less (saving money), have been able to reduce my medications I am on (saving money), if I go out to eat I can order something small and be totally satisfied (saving money). Would I do it again......in a heartbeat!

I did my pre-op the day of my surgery---I got in too late in the day to have it done the day before. Just talk to them and let them know of your flight plans and they will be able to work with it. If you are worried about safety, travel with a partner. Tijuana has changed a lot since the 70's, and has turned into a more modern and bustling city. I was so surprised by this, I took cabs when I went shopping and did this during daylight and in well populated areas. Just use common sense.

Everyone is different with recovery, but I went shopping at Revolution after being discharged from the clinic and walked about 2 miles with no problem. I was surprised by how easy things were. I just used Tylenol meltaways for the pain and it was adequate for me and I used the Gas X strips which really helped me. As far as packing you will need a light jacket in the evening, but just comfortable loose clothing. I took a small pillow in my carry on for the airplane and put that across my tummy for comfort. Comfortable shoes is a must. Other than that I was back to normal activities in about 3 days with no problems. My family was amazed as I was expecting the worst and they were prepared to care for me!!! I was at the spa getting a pedicure and manicure the day I returned home!

Hopefully that will give you an idea of things. If you have any questions feel free to ask away, that is what we are here for.

Also, they say you must fast the day you come down so they can do a blood test the day before surgery, but for me, that would mean a tremendous amount of time to not be able to eat since I would be coming from so far away.

When I booked my surgery for Feb 29th (only 12 days to go!) I didn't think I was going to be able to arrive until late in the evening before my surgery and Lori said that sometimes they can arrange to do your blood work and surgery on the same day. So you could fly in the evening before and as long as you stop eating by midnight the evening before you will be fine for blood work and surgery the next day!

When I booked my surgery for Feb 29th (only 12 days to go!) I didn't think I was going to be able to arrive until late in the evening before my surgery and Lori said that sometimes they can arrange to do your blood work and surgery on the same day. So you could fly in the evening before and as long as you stop eating by midnight the evening before you will be fine for blood work and surgery the next day!

I flew from Boston and was banded on 2/14. I would strongly advise you to take the most comfortable flight available to you. ( In other words, I opted to take an earlier connection flight from Boston, arrival San Diego at 330pm, instead of a non-stop flight getting into San Diego at 740pm.) It is very simple to do the pre-testing and surgery on the same day. I wish I hadn't killed myself on two horrible flights afterall. Having one whole day back at the hotel after surgery was great, I rested the whole day. The next day, I was picked up at the hotel at 6am for a 9am nonstop flight back to Boston. It was a tiny bit painful to sit that long on the plane so I got up to walk around as much as I could.

Now, day 4 - my cuts are healing quickly and nicely. Besides getting tired of chicken soup stock - all is going great !

=D>

Hi Mona Camille, =D>

Read your post along with others here since I'm considering doing this too. I'm also from PA so your post caught my eye! I'm a nurse and have been researching lap banding for two years. From everything that I've learned, I think OCC is the safest place you could possibly go, either in the US or outside the country. Dr. Ortiz seems to be one of the leading pioneers in the field, and I like everything so far that I've found and researched. I say go for it!!! Please let me know how you make out. Blessings,

Lainie

HELLO MONA-CAMILLE,

I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT I'M NOT A PLANT EITHER,LOL! I WILL BE HAVING MY LAPBAND ON MARCH 25th [FLYING OUT OF CENTRAL PA. MARCH 24th] I RESEARCHED LAPBAND ON THE INTERNET FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW AND I TRUELY THINK DR. ORTIZ IS THE MOST EXPERIANCED DR. IN OR OUT OF THE U.S.!! I BOUGHT HIS BOOK AND IT REALLY HELPED ME MAKE MY DECISION. I WILL BE GOING BY MYSELF, MY HUSBAND SUPPORTS ME BUT WILL BE TAKING CARE OF OUR DAUGHTER. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT KNOW I'M GOING IS MY OLDEST DAUGHTER, HUBBY AND ONE FRIEND. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY CRAP FROM FAMILY.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT WORK, I'LL BE LAID-OFF AT THAT TIME. I HAVE CALLED DR.'S IN PITTSBURGH AND THEY'LL DO FILLS FOR ANYONE. I THINK I'LL BE GOING BACK TO DR.O FOR MY FIRST FILL THOUGH. MAYBE I'LL SEE YOU IF YOU SCHEDULE YOUR SURGERY FOR MARCH 25th!! GOOD LUCK, AND I'M NOT WORRIED AT ALL.... JUST EXCITED TO GET IT DONE!! :D DARLENE

Hi Darlene, :-h

I live in central PA myself and am seriously considering going to OCC myself. Best of luck in your surgery and let me know how you make out. I'll be thinking about you!

Lainie

Hi there,

I'll add to what everyone is saying - I was just banded on Feb 15th. Everything went smoothly for me, too.

I would only suggest that flying home you might wanna splure and go first class. It made all the diffence in the world to me. I was only flying back to Seattle which is under 3 hours, but had to go pee like 10 times. It was so nice to have much more room to pass alongside my seatmate,and it's great to get all the free juice, tea or coffee at the drop of a hat!

I took a taxi down to Revelution Ave for some shopping (I was by myself), and found a nice police officer to assist me in getting a cab for the right price ($5) on the way home.

I also brought my own powdered chicken broth with me, so I was able to drink as much as I wanted in my room the next day, or ask for hot water on the plane and mix it. I think they charge like $5 for a bowl of broth at the hotel.