What's your Occupation / How long till back to work?

I'm 39 and I work as an Esthetician (waxing, facial, body treatments) I am also a massage therapist but have already cleared that schedule for a few weeks. I'm scheduled for lap band surgery Monday March 24th with Dr. Ortiz.

I am 5'8" weight 280lbs and my bmi is 41 or wait.. maybe it's 45.. I don't remember.

I know everyone is different and a lot depends on your health, level of fintness, age etc... at time of surgery .. BUT I would love to get some feedback on how soon some of you returned to work after surgery and what your occupation is. I'd also like to know how you felt?

My surgery is on Monday, I return home on Wednesday and go back to work on Friday.

Thanks in advance for sharing your information. I have found this forum to be a life saver in answering my questions.

I'm also concerned about the "gas" part... umm.... I work in a closed room with just the client... when you say you have "gas" how do you get it out?? Farting? burping?? what? sorry.. just wanted to ask that.

One love

Mindy in Oregon

:-h

I'm 39 and I work as an Esthetician (waxing, facial, body treatments) I am also a massage therapist but have already cleared that schedule for a few weeks. I'm scheduled for lap band surgery Monday March 24th with Dr. Ortiz.

I am 5'8" weight 280lbs and my bmi is 41 or wait.. maybe it's 45.. I don't remember.

I know everyone is different and a lot depends on your health, level of fintness, age etc... at time of surgery .. BUT I would love to get some feedback on how soon some of you returned to work after surgery and what your occupation is. I'd also like to know how you felt?

My surgery is on Monday, I return home on Wednesday and go back to work on Friday.

Thanks in advance for sharing your information. I have found this forum to be a life saver in answering my questions.

I'm also concerned about the "gas" part... umm.... I work in a closed room with just the client... when you say you have "gas" how do you get it out?? Farting? burping?? what? sorry.. just wanted to ask that.

One love

Mindy in Oregon

:-h

I am a massage therapist, too. I had my band on 2/15 and have not returned back to work yet. Mostly because wehn I first got home I over did it with picking up my kids, etc. I was planning on taking at least one week, but scheduled 2 weeks off. I may go back to work next week, still not sure. I'm feeling much better, but realize that I don' t have as much energy as I should, and know that will transfer into a massage that has less than 100% intent. Since I have my own buisness, this works for me to decide when I go back. I've come down iwth a cough/cold/fever - so I've got zero energy right now. I may decide to see a few clients next week. But I'll make sure to take it easy.

Good luck to you.

Peace,

Maggie

Hi Mindy!

I'm glad you posted that - I, too, am a massage therapist. My surgery is scheduled for May 9th. I also have another job at a .com company, so I'll only be working there while I'm recovering. I think I plan to take a good 8 weeks off from massage. I'll hopefully be returning to my .com job the following Tuesday after surgery.

Good luck on the 24th!

<3 from Tallahassee, FL

Alana

Hey Girls,

I'm a Hairstylist I was banded on fri 2-22-08 and I was back to work today 2-26-08. But I had alot of help My assistant helped me alot!! I would take at least a week or two for massage, but waxing or facials you should be fine. As far as gas everyone is differnet I'm having killer shoulder pain from gas coming out of your body. And if you have to work make sure you are drinking and stay hydrated. I was feeling pretty rough this afternoon, but i was starving!! Just take it easy, you may not have a whole lot of energy! Maybe shorten your days if you can.I feel wonderful in the morning, then I overdo it!! Best of luck!

God Bless,

Donna

Hi Mindy!

I'm glad you posted that - I, too, am a massage therapist. My surgery is scheduled for May 9th. I also have another job at a .com company, so I'll only be working there while I'm recovering. I think I plan to take a good 8 weeks off from massage. I'll hopefully be returning to my .com job the following Tuesday after surgery.

Good luck on the 24th!

<3 from Tallahassee, FL

Alana

Alana

I will keep you posted. Good look on our journey !

Bless up

I work in a Hearing clinic so my job is very much a mundane (data entry) job. I am scheduled (as of today!!!!) to be banded Mon, March10 and return home on Wed, Mar12 and go back to work on Fri March 15. Luckily I only work part time and have opportunity to trade my days (normally mon-wed)

So, I guess this is my intro as well... I am in Canada, and my sister and I are heading down together.

my start weight is 280, so far down to 271...

Val

I work in a Hearing clinic so my job is very much a mundane (data entry) job. I am scheduled (as of today!!!!) to be banded Mon, March10 and return home on Wed, Mar12 and go back to work on Fri March 15. Luckily I only work part time and have opportunity to trade my days (normally mon-wed)

So, I guess this is my intro as well... I am in Canada, and my sister and I are heading down together.

my start weight is 280, so far down to 271...

Val

HI Val! Good luck on your surgery.. wow.. it's less than 2 weeks away! Please keep me updated on how you feel after the surgery and upon returning to work. Are you doing the liquid protein for break/lunch and lean meal for dinner?

Mindy

HI Val! Good luck on your surgery.. wow.. it's less than 2 weeks away! Please keep me updated on how you feel after the surgery and upon returning to work. Are you doing the liquid protein for break/lunch and lean meal for dinner?

Mindy

Thank you Mindy!

yes, 2 weeks away and both of us are now feeling the nerves. We both started the liquid protein/lean meal on Sunday with anticipation that my husband would agree to this. so yes, we are well on our way...I am feeling very hungry though. I have been drinking quite abit of water, coffee (black), tea though... just to alleviate that feeling. Also go to the gym on a regular basis but just actually getting back this week as I have been sick with a sinus infection til last week. I hope to keep this up afterwards with adjustments of course. I will book an apt with my trainer when I get back, to explain what I did. He probably won't be happy but i feel this "my last chance". I just became a grandma and don't want my little grandson growing up with a fat oma...I want to live to see him grow up period.

Hey girls,

I am a self employed paralegal with my own business......and a slu of clients. I closed my business the day before I left for TJ, that was a Wednesday. I was banded on 2/21 Thursday and returned to seeing clients that following Monday. Being self employed is great and has afforded me to do what I want when I want. Also, I can handle my cleints and never leave my house or go to the office. The only thing that I noticed is that when I started trying to get around to file documents and meet clients........ it wore me out, I remember getting sick to my stomach from moving around so much. Just take it easy, bending and lifting and carrying too much close to your stomach can cause you to be really sore too.

The gas was not bad for me, as I have been a acid reflux gal for so long that gas is part of my life style. No.... not farting all over the place, but just the rumbling in my belly. However, you will soon find that burping and farting is something that you have taken for granted. You will quickly learn that when it does come.......you just need to get it out! I am 8 days out and everything is going well.

Be Blessed ><'