POST SURGERY ACTIVITY AND EXERCISE

Hello Lapband Forum members,, By request,,, today were going to start a new topic and are looking for lapband members to add their experience to this new topic. The topic title is kind of self explanatory. Share with us your experiences with your lapband and activities.. I shouldn't have to say this,,, but,,, keep it clean. LOL

Yes please, I am curious about excercise and the gym after surgery. My plan is to see my trainer shortly after and work out a suitable "modified" program from what I am already doing. Some tips and recommendations about full workouts and modified would be great!

I have also started a "journal" as I get myself ready to go to Mexico in just over a week now, if anyone would like to follow it, my blog is:

http://lapbandval.blogspot.com

I'd love to hear how the progression goes in activiy after surgery. I do several sports that have potential for some "body battering" and I wonder if having the port will affect them. When I return from surgery on March 10th, ski season won't be finished yet. Do I have to take it easy or will I even be able to ski for a while?

No heavy lifting or anything that works your abdominal muscles for six weeks, otherwise you can cause a slip. Other than that, it's pretty much whatever you feel up to.

Ok, so what I feel up to could be things like water skiing, downhill skiing (almost extreme, like black diamond and double diamond) I think Diane is referring to the things they do now that even though she is overweight is still able to do because of the experience behind it. myself, I have been doing crunches and working out at the gym with a program and also ski as our family has season's passes. Will I be able to ski in april after being banded in March?

Will we be able to do these things in a year from now? how about 1 month? don't get me wrong, I am not being sarcastic, just genuinely concerned about how much or how little to do or will i be limited to cardio workouts only. The port, do you feel it? is there concerns with the site, will it move with exercise or hamper exercise? I guess we should have researched more before doing this, but I know in my heart that I need to do this no matter what the cost against what I like to do now.

Darn, I am not sure if I am even making any sense now.

i started a journaling blog if anyone cares to read... http://lapbandval.blogspot.com

I think I am a bit confused. If you feel up to doing extreme skiing, but it's not like anything you do now, it may be time to re-evaluate your abilities. That stuff is hard. However, if you do downhill skiing now and thus have some idea what you're capable of, you should be able to go back to the slopes once you get past the 6 week mark. I really can't think of anything that's off limits once you get healed up, especially not anything an trained personal trainer would have you do. It's not like a hip replacement.

As for the port, I can feel it if I push my fingers over it, but it doesn't hamper any physical activities. Sometimes after I've lost some pounds quickly it can get sore if I slouch, but making myself use proper posture takes care of that until my body adjusts. Other than that, I really don't think about it.

awesome, that is what I was looking for. I do ski now, and Diane is a very good and avid skier too. Iknow.. many ppl are surprised to hear that we ski since we don't look like we would do things like exercise. It is difficult as my knees end up hurting and I don't fit too well when there are 6 adults going up the chair, never mind trying to find ski pants that fit without altering them. I got fat by eating, the wrong foods, dieting too much and subsequently screwing up the metabolism by being lazy when I had all my babies... (6) so now i am a grandma and want to live long enough to see him grow as well as spend lots of active time with him. (secretly, i think i have been hiding behind my fat).

We go tubing behind a boat and I've been trying to learn how to waterski, but ended up wiping out alot trying to haul my large mass out of the water. Would landing on my stomach on the water pose a risk at anytime, or are you saying that once your recovery period after banding is over, the port is well insitu that nothing can cause moving or tearing of stitches or whatever?

It sounds like I'll have enjoy slow skiing in the sun after banding in March, but watch out next year... Whoo Hoo!

I found a great link to a forum with people who've been banded discussing the the types and amount of exercise they did from the few weeks after surgery, to where they currently are with their weight. I found it pretty informative... and gave me hope that one day I might actually LIKE exercise!!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f81/exercise-af...hen-what-51623/

Two weeks to go til TJ!!