very, very scared

hello everyone,

I scheduled my surgery for 4/2/08 and have sent my deposit... but I am so scared. I have been reading this forum for some time now and i finally decided that this is it....but I'm so scared.

I have tried time and time again to lose weight .... and have, but only to gain it back ... now after losing over 70 pds I have gained 60pds of it back...(so depressed)..

My real concern is that I have not read from banders that have had it more than 5yrs...??? and also I havent read to many people talk about slippage..especially not in this forum...

Now I know the percentage is low.... but what about after along time?... and does it need to be replaced after 5, 10, 15 yrs??? does anyone know??

:blink:

You've brought up some very good points. I too have just recently scheduled (March 20th). This is a very big step. I'm wondering when and if banders can ever eat normal foods (understanding that it will be smaller amounts): for example, meats, spicy foods, or are there restrictions forever. It would be great to hear from someone who has been banded for quite a while.

I'm glad I wasnt the only one... I know a handful of people that have had Gastric bypass (permanent)... and quite frankly...they eat whatever they want... and it's been some time that they have had it ...

but it's seems like with the band u need to be careful because u may throw up and if u throw up too much it may cause slippage.... yet i read that getting banded has less risks with less complications?????? I dont know.. I eill keep researching. Unfortunately i don't know anyone personally that has gotten the lap band, so it's hard for me to be not nervous and scared.

I'm glad I wasnt the only one... I know a handful of people that have had Gastric bypass (permanent)... and quite frankly...they eat whatever they want... and it's been some time that they have had it ...

but it's seems like with the band u need to be careful because u may throw up and if u throw up too much it may cause slippage.... yet i read that getting banded has less risks with less complications?????? I dont know.. I eill keep researching. Unfortunately i don't know anyone personally that has gotten the lap band, so it's hard for me to be not nervous and scared.

I'VE ONLY HAD MY BAND FOR A YEAR AND A HALF AND I EAT EVERYTHING. DO I HAVE TO WATCH THE BREAD AND PASTA INTAKE, YES BUT I DO EAT IT. NOT EARLY IN THE MORNING AND I DON'T MAKE A MEAL OUT OF IT, LIKE I USE TOO

MY "BAND PARTNER" LOST HER BAND DUE TO SLIPPAGE WITHIN 9 MONTHS. (IMO I THINK IT HAD SLIPPED A LONG TIME EVEN BEFORE THAT) SHE DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF HERSELF, WOULDN'T LISTEN TO HER BODY, DIDN'T TAKE THE TIME TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE, IGNORED THE SIGNS ETC.

THE BAND ISN'T THAT HARD TO WORK WITH, IT'S A FRIEND. RELAX, YOU'LL DO AWESOME :)

THESE ARE THE PICTURES OF HER SLIPPED BAND. EVERYTHING WAS BACK TO NORMAL WITHIN MINUTES :)

DSC04997.jpg

DSC04998.jpg

I'VE ONLY HAD MY BAND FOR A YEAR AND A HALF AND I EAT EVERYTHING. DO I HAVE TO WATCH THE BREAD AND PASTA INTAKE, YES BUT I DO EAT IT. NOT EARLY IN THE MORNING AND I DON'T MAKE A MEAL OUT OF IT, LIKE I USE TOO

MY "BAND PARTNER" LOST HER BAND DUE TO SLIPPAGE WITHIN 9 MONTHS. (IMO I THINK IT HAD SLIPPED A LONG TIME EVEN BEFORE THAT) SHE DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF HERSELF, WOULDN'T LISTEN TO HER BODY, DIDN'T TAKE THE TIME TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE, IGNORED THE SIGNS ETC.

THE BAND ISN'T THAT HARD TO WORK WITH, IT'S A FRIEND. RELAX, YOU'LL DO AWESOME :)

THESE ARE THE PICTURES OF HER SLIPPED BAND. EVERYTHING WAS BACK TO NORMAL WITHIN MINUTES :)

DSC04997.jpg

DSC04998.jpg

So what are the signs of slippage that we should watch for?

YOU CAN FIND MOST OF THOSE ANSWERS ON THE NET HERE. GOOGLE SLIPPED LAP BAND

FOR MY FRIEND, SHE HAD A FILL, WAS TOO TIGHT AND PB'd FOR MONTHS. SHE FINALLY DECIDED TO GET AN UNFILL AND WAS STILL THROWING UP, WENT ON AGAIN FOR MONTHS. NEVER WOULD CALL ANYONE AS SHE WAS LOSING WEIGHT AND WAS HAPPY. THAT'S NO WAY TO LIVE. I TRIED TO TALK TO HER ABOUT SEEING A DR, GETTING HELP BUT THERE WAS ALWAYS AN EXCUSE UNTIL SHE ENDED UP IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM. IT'S JUST REALLY SAD.

You've brought up some very good points. I too have just recently scheduled (March 20th). This is a very big step. I'm wondering when and if banders can ever eat normal foods (understanding that it will be smaller amounts): for example, meats, spicy foods, or are there restrictions forever. It would be great to hear from someone who has been banded for quite a while.

Talk to Lori at the center. She told me that she can eat everything she wants to, just in smaller portions. I am sure that some things irritate her stomach, but she is SO reassuring. She is my new best friend.

Paula