How much cash to take?

I took $200 cash with me and I didn't use it except for tipping and a couple of cab rides ($5 each). I used my American Express card for the hotel and charged my last meal before surgery on the card and no problems. I was planning on shopping for just a few items but didn't get to (just very sleepy then).. so that depends on you about the shopping thing. I heard that it is a great bargaining tool, in US dollars, but don't go flashing cash as it may make you a target for crime when shopping.

Hope this helps.

Hanna

When I went down for surgery I took $200 and came home with $150 (can you tell i'm not a shopper!)

Restaurants generally take credit cards or debit cards. Shopping from street vendors or cabs would take cash. I didn't go shopping and didn't need cash except for cab fare and tips. Most cab rides are a flat $5 or $6.

It wasn't much different from traveling in the US.

my husband and I took 600.00 and I spent it all shopping...there were some amazing bargains on purses in the revolution area that dr ortiz's mom told us about...i got a huge burberry knock off for 30.00 plus matching wallet for 15.00..a knock off mens/womens movado watch set for 50.00...my sister a purse for 30.00...I could have spent much more..just depends on how much you like to shop and bargain...I also bought a lot of medicine that is so much more expensive here in the states...we paid cash at the hotel for food and tips...I have traveled a lot in Europe and we always take cash..just use common sense and be very discrete about how you carry it, never take it all out at once...if you would feel safer leave some in the hotel safe...also never wear your best flashy jewelry..that was a bit of advice from my husband who grew up in Romania....it just singles you out as a "rich" american...be careful, have fun and use your senses!

have a ball it was the greatest experience ever for us!

krista

Restaurants generally take credit cards or debit cards. Shopping from street vendors or cabs would take cash. I didn't go shopping and didn't need cash except for cab fare and tips. Most cab rides are a flat $5 or $6.

It wasn't much different from traveling in the US.

I'm due to have the procedure soon and of course a little nervous. Have you experienced any problems since the surgery? Sounds like you were up and around soon afttr the surgery or did you have much discomfort? What was the most difficult part of the changes you experienced since the surgery? Thanks much for your help. Par Girl

I'm due to have the procedure soon and of course a little nervous. Have you experienced any problems since the surgery? Sounds like you were up and around soon afttr the surgery or did you have much discomfort? What was the most difficult part of the changes you experienced since the surgery? Thanks much for your help. Par Girl

It's normal to be nervous, and to experience a few after-surgery doubts. However, my experience has been very good so far. I did feel some soreness and pinching around the port after surgery, and couldn't sleep on my left side for about a week because of tenderness.

Things you need to remember are:

You had surgery. It's supposed to be a little sore. However, if you experience severe pain, redness, swelling, or fever after surgery, you should call the doctor right away. Surgical infections happen in the US and in Mexico.

Follow the post op diet. Even though you are feeling fine, you just had a foreign object stitched into the outside of your stomach. The liquid diet is required to let your stomach heal, and you are risking the health of your band if you eat solids too early.

It is common to stop losing weight once you go off the liquid diet, and many people gain a couple pounds. Don't despair. You don't have a fill yet so your band is not yet restricting what you eat. When you have a fill or two, your band will work and you will lose weight.

Follow the rules for chewing thoroughly, eating slowly, and eating healthy foods. Sliming and pbing are signs that your band is working, but don't make it work too hard by eating badly. It isn't healthy for your band to keep stressing it, and may cause slippage if you do it continuously.

I can't think of anything terribly difficult about being banded. Keeping my snacks to a minimum is probably the hardest part. I try to keep only healthy snacks in the house, and the band helps me with portions.

Remember you aren't alone! Whatever it is that you experience, other people have gone through it too. You may want to find a support group in your area, or check this forum and others to just chat about your experiences. It helps sometimes to talk to other people about what you are feeling. I have my own ready-made support group as my husband and daughter are bandsters, and it is nice to hear about what has happened with them. Welcome to bandland!

I took a lot of smaller bills, 1's and 5's. There is no one that will cash Traveler's checks....even the Lucerna. Small bills were great to have on hand for tips and cab fares and I don't pay much for anything.....bargain, bargain, bargain and make them vendors chase you down the street!!! Never take their first offer and start low...they will come down usually half the original price or more....if not try another store! It is a pain, but can be a lot of fun too. Some of the shops even have things priced in American dollars and that makes thing easier for the people who aren't comfortable with the aggressive shop keepers! Most shops can handle credit cards, used my debit card at a local bank to get more cash....but don't forget you get peso's!

When I was there March 11th we used the credit card at the hotel and took about 200 with us. If you go to nice place to eat they do take credit. We really didn't spend much after the surgery. Your going to be on liquids so your Hubby won't need to much cash. Bring money if you want to go shopping for fake hand bags or keep sakes. It's a lot safer than you think. A taxi to the main tourist shopping area from the hotel was $5.00.

Good luck!

Getting the Lap-Band done is the best thing I have done for my self. I am so happy!