Fills

Does it hurt? What is the procedure for a first time fill?

Depends on whether you are getting filled with fluoroscopy or not. OCC does a fluoro with every fill, which is like a real-time x-ray. The doctor inserts a needle in your port, which is about the same pain level as a shot or blood draw. You drink a sip of barium and watch how your band is working of the fluoro screen by sipping some water. The doctor gauges how much fill you need by seeing how fast the water goes through. Then you sip after the fill to see what the speed of the water is with the fill. That's about it. Not a big deal, and at OCC, anyway, it usually takes about 5 minutes.

Depends on whether you are getting filled with fluoroscopy or not. OCC does a fluoro with every fill, which is like a real-time x-ray. The doctor inserts a needle in your port, which is about the same pain level as a shot or blood draw. You drink a sip of barium and watch how your band is working of the fluoro screen by sipping some water. The doctor gauges how much fill you need by seeing how fast the water goes through. Then you sip after the fill to see what the speed of the water is with the fill. That's about it. Not a big deal, and at OCC, anyway, it usually takes about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the info. I saw how big the needle was and i have been nervous bout the fill.

you have to sit up for the flouro with the needle sticking in your port and sip the barium......this was too much for me and I almost passed out! Didn't hurt though, just don't like needles. Dr. Acosta was very patient with me though and very supportive and comforting through the whole procedure and that helped. I hope I can do it without getting woozy next time!