Pro- Op Labs

Question:

My husband and I leave early tomorrow morning and this question just came up. I know before the labs, which we will do tomorrow when we get to the clinic, we have to fast for 8 hours. My question is, what (if anything) can we drink? We are looking at a 3 1/2 hour flight. I assume water is okay, but what about diet soda? Anyone know the answer? Beer and wine and/or an inflight cocktail are probably out, right :P

Thanks for any help.

Nerves and excitment are both kicking in at the same time.

Question:

My husband and I leave early tomorrow morning and this question just came up. I know before the labs, which we will do tomorrow when we get to the clinic, we have to fast for 8 hours. My question is, what (if anything) can we drink? We are looking at a 3 1/2 hour flight. I assume water is okay, but what about diet soda? Anyone know the answer? Beer and wine and/or an inflight cocktail are probably out, right :P

Thanks for any help.

Nerves and excitment are both kicking in at the same time.

You can sip water before the pre-op labs - just make sure not to sip anything - even water before surgery! Just to make sure your labs are absolutely accurate, I wouldn't have anything but sips of water.

You can sip water before the pre-op labs - just make sure not to sip anything - even water before surgery! Just to make sure your labs are absolutely accurate, I wouldn't have anything but sips of water.

:(:(Well, MY flight is going to be 7 1/2 hrs long!!! I believe I'll have a light breakfast before I leave for the airport which is 1.5 hrs before takeoff, so I should be okay. I worry more about getting thirsty! How long do I have to absolutely not have anything to drink before my labs? My surgery isn't scheduled until the next morning.

Karen MT from Kentucky

being banded 7/25/06

:(:(Well, MY flight is going to be 7 1/2 hrs long!!! I believe I'll have a light breakfast before I leave for the airport which is 1.5 hrs before takeoff, so I should be okay. I worry more about getting thirsty! How long do I have to absolutely not have anything to drink before my labs? My surgery isn't scheduled until the next morning.

Karen MT from Kentucky

being banded 7/25/06

To be certain, ask Dr. Miranda or one of the clinic doctors. Are you on the pre-op diet of salad greens and protien shakes? If so, a protein shake is about all you can have for breakfast pre-op. Also, verify that you are having surgery on the second day. Lately, I've read several posts about people who have had surgery the same day they had the pre-op done and this was the case when I had my first fill done in TJ. The reason I mention it is Dr. Ortiz requires nothing by mouth starting at midnight on the day of the surgery and will postphone the surgery if you've had anything to eat or drink.