Side Effects

Hello,

I need some advise, my husband had the surgery one year ago and has done great with his wieght loss. I am very proud of him. But one thing that I have notice is a huge increase in how irritable he is. At first I did not think much of it but it has increased to an intolerable state. I am wondering if it is a chemical imbalance which is cause from not getting the right or enough nutrients. I don't know if I am way off base or what. If someone has any ideas or suggestion please feel free to share.

Hello,

I need some advise, my husband had the surgery one year ago and has done great with his wieght loss. I am very proud of him. But one thing that I have notice is a huge increase in how irritable he is. At first I did not think much of it but it has increased to an intolerable state. I am wondering if it is a chemical imbalance which is cause from not getting the right or enough nutrients. I don't know if I am way off base or what. If someone has any ideas or suggestion please feel free to share.

I know for my self if I don't get enough protien I can get irritable. So I make sure I get at least 42 grams of protien a day. What does he eat?

Maytee

I know I get really moody and irritable when I am hungry, but since it has been a whole year, I would think that he would be used to it now. I will be interested to see if anyone else has noticed this too. Maybe he should check with his physician, could be something else is bothering him.

My husband would say that I have the same thing - and its not that its a chemical imbalance for me - (it may be for your husband - I don't know) I'm eating better now, I keep up with my physicals and since I've had a couple of "additional" surgeries I’ve had to have blood work done and everything comes out great in my tests.

Here’s what it is for me, when I was obese I would put up with more – I was insecure and unsure of myself. Loosing weight has given me more confidence and I will not put up with the same things I would have put up with before. And I love my husband to pieces, we’ve been married over 27 years but truthfully I am going to call on something if I don’t like it – and he may have to eat at the restaurant I want to eat at and I’m going to dress how I like and buy the car that I want. (Sorry if you don’t like it too bad). Now is this a good thing or a bad thing? Good for me in my view – sometimes bad for him – but he loves me and understands and he is becoming more patient and has learned not to fight it.

Oh, and it’s the same at work – however in the work environment I’ve moved up the ladder quit a bit. Great for work, can cause issues in the home environment.

You may want to sit down with him and ask him, my husband did this to me – and I have calmed things down a bit. Let him know that you’re feeling a change in him and ask what is causing it – he may not even know he’s doing it. (I did though….)

Good luck!

Lisa

Lisa,

Makes a lot of sense. Something that I haven't pondered yet. Thanks for the insight.

I may be off base but just an Idea, Alot of us use food to cope. My Dr. said I'll be in full stress mode and use food is what I use to calm down!! Maybe he needs to find other outlets taking a walk, working out. I'm get grumpy and pissy when I'm tired, stressed out, and eating the wrong foods!! Hope this helps!!

Donna