Water in Mexico

Guest sdejong

Guest sdejong

Ok, I know this is going to sound crazy.... All I can think about is accidentally drinking the water/ice in Mexico and getting either so sick they can't do the surgery or having my band slip after surgery. Any suggestions? Has the water gotten any better?

Shyla

Ok, I know this is going to sound crazy.... All I can think about is accidentally drinking the water/ice in Mexico and getting either so sick they can't do the surgery or having my band slip after surgery. Any suggestions? Has the water gotten any better?

Shyla

drink bottled water.

I totally understand your concern! I even brushed my teeth with bottled water! I know that might have been overkill but better safe then sorry. My husband didn't use the ice for his coke either. I would stay with anything bottled!

Good luck!

Brook

The water is supposed to be safe for drinking now as they treat it just like the US, but when in doubt drink bottled water, they will have some in your room or you can ask to have some brought up to you.

I did research before going that said the water was safe, especially in the hotels and restaurants because of some governing regulation. I used tap water to make my soup in the coffee pot at the hotel and drank 2-3 cups for 2 days with no problems! I took the bottled water with me down to revolution ave for shopping and such!

I always drink bottled water in Mexico but brush my teeth with whatever comes out of the tap. I have never gotten sick (7 trips to MX) from anything. I always take a pro-biotic first thing in the morning and last thing at night. The Mexican's think it is a big joke that we go down there and drink like fish and eat spicy food and then blame it all on the water. From what I have seen each community/city has water purification plants and most hotels have their own system as well.

I live in Mexico, and traveled many, many times before making the move. The following is my opinion, based on extensive experience:

If you are out and about, drink bottled water. Hotels in a tourist area-- the water is from the "garrafon" (5 gallon purified water) and is safe to drink. Ice cubes, as long as you can tell they are from a machine (round or cubed) are fine.

Happy Traveling...

Kris