First Fill Yesterday

I want to th occ yesterday for my first fill. My whole 7 weeks I haven't had any restriction at all, It dosn't even feel like I have a band at all. I have never PB or felt full. Dr. Romero said they NEVER give more than 1.5cc on the first fill? WHAT? Does he not know that everyone tells what they got? I dont get it. There was two other ladies that got a 1.5cc fill also, but they have had restriction since being banded. I just dont get it! Has any one else noticed this?

I had my first fill on 5-3 and I didnt fill any restriction for a long time. Im not sure what he did mine at but when I called to ask they said the first fill they dont fill that much and the second fill is when you will really notice it. I havent had any PBing or anything at all either ... its better to be safe then sorry I think.. I would rather pay to have them fill then UNFILL ...

Hey girl..

I agree that everyone is different. I have had restriction from the start and my fill just made it better, however I am sure you remember Christie that was at the OCC with me. She has never had restriction, like you, and still doesn't even after her first fill. She is getting her 2nd fill tomorrow and hopefully it will help her. Do you have any Dr's around you that can give you another fill? Maybe that's what you need to jumpstart your weight loss again.

Well Dr. Romero told me that he only fill a max of 1.5cc before he even looked at the floro, the liquid went through fast with no slowing. I even asked to be very aggressive and he told me that was the rules. It makes me mad that I took a day off of work to drive 7 hours and pay money for a fill that I know isn't going to work. I'm just mad because I haven't lost weight in over 1 month and I was hoping my first fill would do it. On top of all that he told me that I couldn't come back for 4 weeks for my second fill! I just don't get it!

Brittania.. here's some information that I found on Northwest Fills website. Looks like maybe OCC is sticking right in the middle of the 1-2cc.

How much fill should I get?

It is important to understand that the tissue in you gut is like the tissue in your mouth, it is very sensitive and swells very easily. Everyone is different; a good fill for one person is too tight for another person, or not enough for the next person.

1. The initial adjustment post operatively should occur at 6 weeks or later, and 1-2cc of Normal Saline (for the 9.75 or 10 cc band). The larger band (11CM and VG) adjustment os 3-4cc.

2. Regular reviews (4-6 weeks) are recommended with weight and clinical status measured. If weight loss is 1 pound per week over the period and patient is following bandster diet guidelines then another fill of normal saline is added at .2 to .5 increments.

3. If the weight loss average between visits is 2 plus pounds per week no fill is needed.

4. If the weight loss averaged between 1-2 pounds and the person feels hungry and found it difficult to comply with the dietary guideline/portions.

5. Fluid is removed from the system if there is symptoms of excessive restriction or obstruction, including excessive sense of fullness, heartburn, regurgitation and vomiting.

6. Fluoroscopy is needed for evaluation of band placement and/or port placement.

7. It is important know that the fluid in the band never adds up, it is always give or take 1 cc because fluid hides in the tubing or in the band.

Brittania.. here's some information that I found on Northwest Fills website. Looks like maybe OCC is sticking right in the middle of the 1-2cc.

How much fill should I get?

It is important to understand that the tissue in you gut is like the tissue in your mouth, it is very sensitive and swells very easily. Everyone is different; a good fill for one person is too tight for another person, or not enough for the next person.

1. The initial adjustment post operatively should occur at 6 weeks or later, and 1-2cc of Normal Saline (for the 9.75 or 10 cc band). The larger band (11CM and VG) adjustment os 3-4cc.

2. Regular reviews (4-6 weeks) are recommended with weight and clinical status measured. If weight loss is 1 pound per week over the period and patient is following bandster diet guidelines then another fill of normal saline is added at .2 to .5 increments.

3. If the weight loss average between visits is 2 plus pounds per week no fill is needed.

4. If the weight loss averaged between 1-2 pounds and the person feels hungry and found it difficult to comply with the dietary guideline/portions.

5. Fluid is removed from the system if there is symptoms of excessive restriction or obstruction, including excessive sense of fullness, heartburn, regurgitation and vomiting.

6. Fluoroscopy is needed for evaluation of band placement and/or port placement.

7. It is important know that the fluid in the band never adds up, it is always give or take 1 cc because fluid hides in the tubing or in the band.

My first fill was only .8 cc and it was done at OCC under flouro....I had no restriction right off the bat, but I didn't know any better and went home anyways and then couldn't afford another fill for several months and ended up getting 1.8 cc in a blind fill (no flouro) and it seems to be just right so far. I know it was risky getting the blind fill, but I was desparate and didn't want to gain any more weight. Sometimes I wonder if I am too tight, but usually if I PB or vomit it is because I haven't chewed or have eaten too fast at 6 months I am still re-learning how to eat!

Just to put my two cents in...I have received 2 fills through a fill doc here locally. She does not have flouro, but is excellent in giving fills. My first fill I thought was going to be 4cc since I have the VG band. From what I have read, that is the normal first fill amount for the VG band. Well, she started with 4cc in the syringe and put it in and had me take swallows of water and listened for me to let her know where it was going and so on. Well, after several sips, I ended up with a first fill of 3.2cc. I was kinda bummed, but happy to have some restriction again. ;) I also read that at OCC, they give VG band patients 4c on their first fill and less if you have a smaller band. This was some time ago that I read this, so not sure if the rules changed on that or not. My second fill was also with the same doc and I was hoping to get at least 1.8cc, but ended up with 1.5cc. I think on my 3rd fill, I will ask for a more aggressive fill because my weight loss has slowed way down and I want to reach that 100lb. mark within the next couple months. ;)

Some day I want to go to OCC for hopefully that last "sweet spot" fill under flouro. But financially it isn't gonna happen just yet. Hopefully this year, but just don't know.

Good luck and best wishes on your weight loss journey!

Peace,

Judy