Hello everybody...1st post here

Hi,

I've been looking into getting the Lap Band procedure done for a while now but i can't seem to find out the answer to a question. I am trying the insurance route in the states first as that would be easier but their qualifications seem to keep stopping me as they are a bit tuff on the procedure still.

Question is: Is there any Hospital/Clinic that can perform the procedure without any documented and failed diet plans from my doctor?

I have tried several diets over the years, all of which have failed but they were all done on my own and nothing was documented. I really don't want to start the process over and have some programs documented, then "try" for the surgery. I am 100lbs over weight and my BMI is 43, so I know i qualify on that end.

I have considered the TJ/Mexico hospital with Dr. Ortiz but as you can imagine, i'd like to try the Insurance route first. Its gonna be tough for me to self pay or finance this.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks in Advance,

Mysterymachine B)

Hi Mystery,

Give me a call! I'd love to talk to you about my own Lap Band experience so far, as well as give you information about Dr. Ortiz

We will ask you about your past attempts at dieting, but it isn't a requirement of surgery. You need a BMI of 30 or more, plus a minimum of 50 pounds to lose, much less stringent than U.S.! I wouldn't have qualified for surgery in the U.S., even as a cash patient, my insurance basically laughed at me.

Call or email me anytime!

Hi,

I've been looking into getting the Lap Band procedure done for a while now but i can't seem to find out the answer to a question. I am trying the insurance route in the states first as that would be easier but their qualifications seem to keep stopping me as they are a bit tuff on the procedure still.

Question is: Is there any Hospital/Clinic that can perform the procedure without any documented and failed diet plans from my doctor?

I have tried several diets over the years, all of which have failed but they were all done on my own and nothing was documented. I really don't want to start the process over and have some programs documented, then "try" for the surgery. I am 100lbs over weight and my BMI is 43, so I know i qualify on that end.

I have considered the TJ/Mexico hospital with Dr. Ortiz but as you can imagine, i'd like to try the Insurance route first. Its gonna be tough for me to self pay or finance this.

Can someone help me please?

Hi Mystery,

I, too, have tried many diets - all on my own. I have Blue Cross/Shield and what I had to do for them was to write a self-report telling why my weight affected me and what I had tried. By the way, I am waiting to hear back from them. Also, my BMI is over 39 but not yet 40. If it had been over 40, they would have paid without my having to "jump through all of their hoops". I live in Minnesota, by the way. A friend of mine who is having this done in North Dakota has had to go through a lot more to get pre-authorization from her insurance.

Good Luck!

Linda23585

Well I got approved from surgeryloans for the cost of the surgery....but the payment is outrageous!! I don't have anyother ways to pay for the surgery though.

Not sure what i'll do now :(

Hi - I financed my surgery via credit card. I got a really good locked in 5% interest rate as a special offer from my mastercard. That rate was far better than anything else I could afford. Of course, now my little cedit card is smoking and is in danger of being sliced in the shredder ... but I'd do it again. It was the only way I could afford the airfare, the band and the fills. Chelley

Well I got approved from surgeryloans for the cost of the surgery....but the payment is outrageous!! I don't have anyother ways to pay for the surgery though.

Not sure what i'll do now :(

I haven't gotten the band yet, but I too have found that the best deal was with my credit card. The best my bank would do was 8.9% with a co-signer and surgery loans was 17% APR, while my credit card is fixed at 7.9% APR.

Hi - I financed my surgery via credit card. I got a really good locked in 5% interest rate as a special offer from my mastercard. That rate was far better than anything else I could afford. Of course, now my little cedit card is smoking and is in danger of being sliced in the shredder ... but I'd do it again. It was the only way I could afford the airfare, the band and the fills. Chelley

People spend $30,000 on a jazzy new car and people don't think anything of it---I decided to have this operation instead, (for ~$10K) and look good driving my older model car but looking jazzy in my new body!

It's all our priorities! I decided I was worth the expense---and my health was worth the expense. Hey, in the long run, I will spend over a hundred dollars less a month in food for myself, anyways! Of course, I'll be having to buy new clothes, and having more pictures made of myself, but I would have bought new clothes to make me 'feel' pretty anyways. Now I'll be able to look in the mirror and see the person I truly am inside! :)

Karen MT Kentucky

banded 7/25/06 Ortiz in TJ

People spend $30,000 on a jazzy new car and people don't think anything of it---I decided to have this operation instead, (for ~$10K) and look good driving my older model car but looking jazzy in my new body!

It's all our priorities! I decided I was worth the expense---and my health was worth the expense. Hey, in the long run, I will spend over a hundred dollars less a month in food for myself, anyways! Of course, I'll be having to buy new clothes, and having more pictures made of myself, but I would have bought new clothes to make me 'feel' pretty anyways. Now I'll be able to look in the mirror and see the person I truly am inside! :)

Karen MT Kentucky

Oh trust me! I know it's a priority and its definitely worth it. But all that and a dime, still leaves me with a dime. I just have to try to get it paid for by some other means, without being put in the poor house ;)

There is a will....i'm just searching for the way B)

Hey, my 2000 Ford Taurus is going to be dragging me around until it falls apart, LOL!!!

But, you're right, it's totally worth it.

Karen MT Kentucky

Don't give up on your insurance company yet. Unless your policy specifically addresses the surgery and states that it is not covered under your policy, try an appeal. The companies count on the fact that not many folks will take the time and effort to file an appeal. Write a letter to everyone in the company from the janitor to the CEO. Be sure to send a copy of the letter to the Insurance Commissioner of your state. Don't take "No" for an answer too easily....Can't hurt, might help. Do you have a friend who is an attorney? It can sometimes be amazing what a letter on a law firm's stationery can do!

Best of luck!

I applied for the lapband with my insurance and was turned down three different times. Each time. both my doctor and the surgeon wrote appeals. I have so many co-morbities: heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, asthma and hyperlpidemia. I have had 2 knee surgeries and am biding my time for a knee replacement. Also, 16 months ago, I lost my vision in one eye due to a 'stroke' to the eye. Still the insurance company would not cover (Aetna). I decided not to appeal via an atorney because their hourly rates are so high, and there is no guarantee that they would be successful. So I decided that I would take a loan on my pension, because I really wasn't sure if I would live to see my penion if I didn't make some change in my health status. No matter what happens, I will not regret this decision. I had to try whatever I can to help myself.

I applied for the lapband with my insurance and was turned down three different times. Each time. both my doctor and the surgeon wrote appeals. I have so many co-morbities: heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, asthma and hyperlpidemia. I have had 2 knee surgeries and am biding my time for a knee replacement. Also, 16 months ago, I lost my vision in one eye due to a 'stroke' to the eye. Still the insurance company would not cover (Aetna). I decided not to appeal via an atorney because their hourly rates are so high, and there is no guarantee that they would be successful. So I decided that I would take a loan on my pension, because I really wasn't sure if I would live to see my penion if I didn't make some change in my health status. No matter what happens, I will not regret this decision. I had to try whatever I can to help myself.

Hi Rose,

Yes, dealing with insurance comanies can be extremely frustrating! And, each policy is different. If my insurance turns me down (and I am hoping they won't) I would stop the appeal process where you did. And, I will fly to Mexico, have it done there and then worry about finding someone up here to do the fills. It is THAT important to me!

Rose, have you had yours done yet? Please keep me posted!