side effects question

I h ad gas pains on and off for about 3 months but the pain wasnt too bad. Gasx didn't help much - my hubby gently rubbing with his whole hand on my back and shoulder, light patting and moving me around was the bbest. i would burp and pass gass and it felt wonderful. I also walked but honestly, for me, it never seemed to make a difference. On the flight home the gas was the worst - alwyas in my left shoulder blade then after that it would come once or twice a day, last about 10-20 minutes and be annoying. Like everything, it got better over time and eventually went away totally. Curously, ever since surgery if I do get gas pains it's now always in my shoulder whereas before i never really had them. nothing to worry about - some people don't get them at all, most are much less than what i experienced.

The GasX really did help me. I don't think I had too much gas though, and I did walk a lot right after surgery(this really is the best remedy). I walked around the clinic that night quite a bit and then the next day my husband and I went shopping around Tijuana.

Gas-x can only help with gas produced in your intestines. Different people's digestive tracts react differently to being "shut down" for anaesthesia and messed with. Some produce a lot of gas afterwards, some produce a little.

The carbon dioxide used to inflate the abdomen is unaffected by anything you can take orally. Walking, the inspirometer, and time are the things that get rid of those trapped bubbles (which can be incredibly painful). I believe that any relief from Gas-x strips is purely coincidental.

Of course, if anyone can point me to a scientific explanation that explains differently, please do so. The only references I can find are anecdotal and I'd never even heard of it until researching WLS, so I think this is a "WLS old wives tale".

I would also like to suggest Enteric Coated Peppermint Capsules. I take them for gas related to my IBS pain when the Gas-X / Phazyme gels don't do anything.

They are specially made to not disolve until they get to your digestive tract which, yes, means they may not help as much with the post-op gas, but they may be something to consider for any pains you have due to trapped air after the band is in place.

I bought mine through www.helpforibs.com, but I think they are becoming more common elsewhere in the US. At one time you couldn't find them outside of Europe.

Oh - fun side effect - you may end up burping peppermint breath :D