Devastated

Hi to all,

Thanks to all of you for answering all my questions over the past month or so. I was all set to have the surgery and had found out that my insurance would have covered it. Unfortunately, after today's appointment that included an endoscopy and a barium swallow, I was told that I am not a cancidate for the surgery.

I have a paraesophogeal hernia which means that a large portion of my stomach is in my diaphragm. Even if it is surgically repaired, I will not be able to have the band.

Back to square one......with over 100 pounds to lose.....and looking for a new plan!

Hi to all,

Thanks to all of you for answering all my questions over the past month or so. I was all set to have the surgery and had found out that my insurance would have covered it. Unfortunately, after today's appointment that included an endoscopy and a barium swallow, I was told that I am not a cancidate for the surgery.

I have a paraesophogeal hernia which means that a large portion of my stomach is in my diaphragm. Even if it is surgically repaired, I will not be able to have the band.

Back to square one......with over 100 pounds to lose.....and looking for a new plan!

I'm so sorry to hear that!!!

Your stomach is partially IN your diaphram? Does that cause any problems? The only thing I can think of is that you can't hiccup, lol. What a bummer :(

Linda,

Most on this site are Dr. Ortiz patients but from your email I'm wondering if your doc was in the states, etc? Why don't you check with Dr. Ortiz about the possibility of lapband in Mexico. He is very experienced and has done many non traditional types of surgery. I honestly don't know if you could have the lapband but if it is at all remotely possible, he would be the one who could do it, the one I would choose. You would have to be self pay but most of us are and there are ways to get the money together. good luck.

You might want to get your barium xray from your current doc. You can send it to Dr. Ortiz and have a phone consult with him. He will want to see your actual x-ray - not the report.

Call either me or Carolyn and we can help you coordinate this. If anyone can perform your surgery, it would be Dr. Ortiz. He is THE expert in Lap Band Surgery (he even performs band over bypass... a LapBand over a previous gastric bypass... not many doctors are skilled enough to do that!

Don't give up!