September Surgery Patients

If you have surgery planned for September with Dr. Ortiz, here is the place for support & planning - maybe even to meet people who have surgery planned for the same day.

Disclaimer: While this board is generally a safe place, please use caution when coordinating travel/meetings with other patients.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have surgery planned for September with Dr. Ortiz, here is the place for support & planning - maybe even to meet people who have surgery planned for the same day.

Hi Lori- Wanted to let you know that my friend and I from Virginia are scheduled for September 22nd.

She got her days off and I finally got the financing to go right for me. We are both so excited that we counted today and we have 6 weeks from Thursday before the surgery. I am a little nervous about giving up food and smoking at the same time. I have been a smoker for about 20 years. I smoke less than a half pack a day but am still a smoker. I read Deb's post about being sent home due to her breathing capacity. Is there anything that I can do before I go to assure that when I get there I will not be turned away because of my lung capacity. I plan on getting the patch and quitting at least a month before I come but I would be devastated to get there with my friend and she have the surgery and I have to come back home with out it... advice?

Sounds like you are doing the right thing... quitting early! I would suggest some walking as well... anything to increase your lung function! Swimming and walking are great exercises. Just smoke one last cigarette tonight and toss 'em - you are on your way to being healthier... why hang onto that bad habit!! I know its hard, but think about how happy you'll be when they are out of your life :)

Hello, I am set for surgery on Sept 22 with a friend of my here in Virginia, we are both excited, nervous and very anxious to say the least. We both are so ready to make a change in our life and the extra weight off. I want to do everything to make this a success and get me weight off as soon as possible. SO any inside feed back would be great.

weight 207/ BMI 38 :o

Hi

I've spoken with you and your friend on the phone :) I'm so glad you were able to get your surgeries booked together!

I think the best advice I've seen on the forum is don't try to eat as much as you can with the band... try to see how little you can eat and be satisfied! There are ways to "eat around the band" - don't do it... follow the advice from the doctors, excercise and try to make healthy choices!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions! :)

I'm getting banded on Sept. 4 with Dr. Ortiz and I'd like to meet other people who will be flying in to S.D. and getting surgery about the same time, so we will need fills about the same time, and can work out a plan to meet at the airport and take the bus and subway or taxi to the office together. I just don't want to do it by myself and I don't want to pay $130 to get there or I might as well do it here, in Nebr. where I live, because it costs about the same with that transportation fee. I would rather come back to Dr. Ortiz also. Anybody interested in keeping in touch email me and let me know.

I'm getting banded on Sept. 4 with Dr. Ortiz and I'd like to meet other people who will be flying in to S.D. and getting surgery about the same time, so we will need fills about the same time, and can work out a plan to meet at the airport and take the bus and subway or taxi to the office together. I just don't want to do it by myself and I don't want to pay $130 to get there or I might as well do it here, in Nebr. where I live, because it costs about the same with that transportation fee. I would rather come back to Dr. Ortiz also. Anybody interested in keeping in touch email me and let me know.

Surgery scheduled for Sept 7th.. Where will you be flying out of Denver by chance?

We will probably be passing each other at the airport

Tom

Is anyone having surgery on the 7th of September. Would be nice to get to know someone so the wife can have someone to talk to while I am in surgery

Tom Bourn

Is anyone having surgery on the 7th of September. Would be nice to get to know someone so the wife can have someone to talk to while I am in surgery

Tom Bourn

Hi Tom,

I am having surgery on Sept. 6. My mother will be with me. Maybe we will be able to visit with you and your wife.

Kathy

Anyone else having their surgery on Friday Sept 1???? Am getting excited and ready for my protein shake diet.....

Karen

Karen I will be banded on the 31st. Mferra, too. So we should be milling around the surgery center in recovery when you get there.

Karen when do you fly in? I come in Wed. night.

Karen I will be banded on the 31st. Mferra, too. So we should be milling around the surgery center in recovery when you get there.

Karen when do you fly in? I come in Wed. night.

I get in Thurs night at 10:30 then pre-op and surgery Fri 1st. Hope to see you guys there on the 1st!!

Thanks

Karen

p.s. how's your pre-op diet going?

Started liquid pre-op today...munchin on dry broccolli isn't the same as pizza that's for sure. One meal at a time..is the only way I'll make it. Anyone else having surgery on the 7th of September??

Wish me luck on this pre-op!!

Tom

Great, she will appreciate that as will I. 1/2 down on the pre-op diet.. I bet today is the hardest....at least I hope so!!!

Tom

I'm flying in on the 12th. I'm also anticipating how to get back for fills. Driving in TJ is a little scary for me, so company would be nice. I'm nervous and excited to. Sometimes I can't stand myself! Not looking forward to the pre or post diets, but ready to get there whatever it takes.

Hey Tom,

Hang in there on the pre-op. I also started mine yesterday and have surgery the day after you. Yesterday wasn't bad, but I think it will get boring quickly. For me, it was probably the first day without a meat of some sort that I can remember. But it's all for good and I'm gonna keep positive.

Roger

Jewel,

Keep in touch with me and I can let you know when I might be down again for one of my fills. You could meet me at the airport or at the hotel in San Diego and we can ride down to the clinic together! I'd love to save the money if you'll drive over the boarder sometime. Heck, I'll buy you lunch! :)

Michele