September Surgery Patients

Jenny, Did you speak with Dr. Miranda about this? I think you should give her a call and maybe she will have some suggestions for you. Good Luck Nita

Nita- Yes I spoke w/ Dr. Miranda yesterday and she told me to discontinue the Atkins and start the pre-op diet now. I'm drinking my shakes and eating my jello.. it's just like putting my cigs down.. It will take me awhile but I'll get it eventually!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tom! How are you doing? I was banded the 7th also. I think your wife and my hubby talked while we were in surgery.

Are you up and going yet? I think the travel was a little hard on me but I am chillin now. Is your stomach still bloating? How about the burps?

Tell the wife hello for us!

Teeners

Tina Farnes

Jerome, Idaho

Hi Tina!!

Yeah, I am up and about, even though I have the luxury of having the next 16 days off. I hope I am still bloated...haven't lost but 1 pound in three days of broth and popcicles. I finally gave in and had some liquid yogart last night...it really helped....

Scheduled my first fill for October 21st... so now I am just waiting for week three so I can exercise.... I am on here all the time.. so write often

Tom

I am getting banded on the 29th. :unsure: I am worried that I will not lose enough to have my surgery.

I need to lose 7 more pounds by the 29th.

I am scared that placing me on the pre-op diet will make me gain weight.

I am doing Atkins now...can anyone recommend a good protien shake low in carbs?

I know that many of you probably had similar concerns, so I am hoping that you will be able to help me out.

I go weigh myself on Fridays to see if I have any additional weight loss. I weigh myself once a week at Kaiser in there Bariatric Area since they don't sell scales that go as high as my weight.

Any advise is good advise.......unless you tell me to jump off a bridge :lol:

Thanks in advance!

You can do 7 pounds by 29th in your sllep.. have faith... Adkins makes a protien shake.. I'm sure it is low in carbs...Relax take the stress off....I stress it too...but lost the last 6 in the last three days...

Tom

You can do 7 pounds by 29th in your sllep.. have faith... Adkins makes a protien shake.. I'm sure it is low in carbs...Relax take the stress off....I stress it too...but lost the last 6 in the last three days...

Tom

Tom

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Atkins does make a protien shake, but they taste REALLY BAD...

Did you lose the last 6lbs doing the liquid diet Dr. Miranda gives??

I keep telling myself that I can do this, I am going to relax about it....just like you said.

That will make things alot better

I'll update everyone on Friday on where my weight is....

HEY KELLY,

I AM SCHEDULED FOR THE 18TH. I AM FLYING IN SUNDAY FROM THE DALLAS AREA. I HAVE BEEN A LITTLE HUNGRY ON PRE-OP. HOWEVER, I HAVE MY MIND SET ON SUCCESS! I AM DRINKING 2 SHAKES AND EATING A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF GRILLED CHICKEN AND GREEN VEGIES. MY BMI IS LOW, SO I THINK I CAN LOSE A FEW POUNDS DOING THIS. WE'LL SEE...ARE YOU NERVOUS ABOUT THE CHANGES YOU WILL BE MAKING? IT IS JUST MY HUSBAND AND I, SO COOKING ISN'T A PROBLEM FOR ME. I DID WEIGHT WATCHERS WHEN MY CHILDREN WERE YOUNG AND THE FAMILY LEARNED TO EAT NEW RECIPES WITH ME. LETS FACE IT...IT'S ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE, RIGHT?

I'LL SEE YOU THERE...GINA

If you have surgery planned for September with Dr. Ortiz, here is the place for support & planning - maybe even to meet people who have surgery planned for the same day.

Disclaimer: While this board is generally a safe place, please use caution when coordinating travel/meetings with other patients.

Hi,

I am scheduled the 28th of September. My husband and I are flying in from northern California on the 27th.

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I actually like meal replacement drinks, I do it many times a week normally, it will be not eating dinner that will be difficult. We like to meet for dinner, drinks, and nice conversation after a busy day at the office. I look forward to meeting those of you who will be there the same time as me.

I have logged on the last couple of days, and have become somewhat nervous after reading some of the postings! Hopefully there are some who have an uneventful surgery & recovery. Also, does anyone get back to a normal life? After reading the postings, I am worried about gas, burping, nausea, vomiting, salivating while at work. I too am a registered nurse and I do not think I will be too effective while performing these bodily functions uncontrollably.

Bye for now,

Deb

Well it's close to my turn also. I will be leaving my home on the 28th. Driving down with my husband and my Mom.

I am getting really nervous now and I feel almost sick to my stomach. I packed my bag last night, I am trying to plan everything just right so my household can run without me there. All you Mom's know just what I mean....

I'll write you guys from the OCC.

Well it's close to my turn also. I will be leaving my home on the 28th. Driving down with my husband and my Mom.

I am getting really nervous now and I feel almost sick to my stomach. I packed my bag last night, I am trying to plan everything just right so my household can run without me there. All you Mom's know just what I mean....

I'll write you guys from the OCC.

Hi I am also getting my house in order. I leave tommorow afternoon ! aaahhhh! I am soooo nervous!!!!

Hi peggy and Lapoli7 I guess I will see you at the OCC. Good Luck!

Paige

I know exactly what you mean about leaving the household to run itself. In fact, that worried me the most, three kids at home, 7, 4, and 1. I was so nervous about leaving them, I took off for surgery by myself (met a cousin in San Diego), and left my husband and mom at home with the kids. It helped me relax more. In fact, once I got on the plane, it was all fine. I was relaxed, and had a great, relaxing vacation (and surgery). But I was so glad to get home!!

Becki

Well here it is the end of September and finally my turn..

I am scheduled to arrive on the 27th and have surgery on the 28th...

Anyone else scheduled then??

Peggy

Hi:

Yes I am scheduled for 9/28, I get to San Diego late on 9/27, so I will have my pre-op's in the AM of 9/28. I am a little nervous, but happy with my decision to take this route. I received my book, "LapBand for Life" yesterday and finished reading it lthe same day. I have a sense of calmness after reading it. So with God's grace I will be fine.

See you there,

Deb

Well I am banded. I was the first one on the chopping block.

I feel some gas pains in my chest, but according to everyone else it is normal.

And walking and breathing excercises will help get it all out.

I am really tired though. I cannot wait to have a good nights sleep tonight!

:rolleyes:

Well I am banded. I was the first one on the chopping block.

I feel some gas pains in my chest, but according to everyone else it is normal.

And walking and breathing excercises will help get it all out.

I am really tired though. I cannot wait to have a good nights sleep tonight!

:rolleyes: CONGRATULATIONS- not very long for me either----sleep good and post more tommorow...

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: CONGRATULATIONS- not very long for me either----sleep good and post more tommorow...

Allison, Paige, and both Peggy's are you there? We all have made it home by now. We were all banded on the 28th of September. I have more pain/discomfort than I did immediately post op. I have a strange feeling at the site of my port. If it continues, I am going to email one of the docs.

Take care,

Deb

Allison, Paige, and both Peggy's are you there? We all have made it home by now. We were all banded on the 28th of September. I have more pain/discomfort than I did immediately post op. I have a strange feeling at the site of my port. If it continues, I am going to email one of the docs.

Take care,

Deb

Hi Deb, I just got to my home this morning, my husband had to go to NY on business (he said he saw you)

so I stayed with my parents last night so they could help me with the kids. Im sorry you are feeling bad at port sight. I am OK there but have had a sharp pain in my left shoulder on and off since surgery that is pretty bad. I hope it is normal. Let me know what happens if you talk to the docs.

Hi Peggy's and Allison hope you are doing well !!!!

Hi Everyone,

I arrived home late Saturday night....early Sunday morning .. it was about 1 AM.. I have been feeling fine,some tenderness at port site but that is it.

Deb, if you are still in pain and the toradol isn't helping definitely call... Dr Ortiz and Martinez were very matter of fact that if you have any questions to call them on their cell #'s.

How is everyone doing on liquids..

I really haven't been hungry with the liquids

I have a minor question... Post op instructions from Dr Miranda says..Drink no more than a 1/2 cup each time take small sips .. how often should we be drinking these 1/2 cups or less taking small sips??? Is there a total amount of fluid we should be taking in per day??

or just enough to keep your urine pale and not dark??

Question #2.. when starting on Day 8 of full liquids is that pretty much anykind of liquid??? how about regular yogart then??

Has anyone tried the whipped yogart as part of stage 2 eating???

Hope everyone else is doing well...

Anyone start planning for fills yet?

Lapoli, I was still at the clinic whenI saw you post op up and walking around just a very short while after surgery... goood for you.

Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Peggy form Florida...

Hi Deb, I just got to my home this morning, my husband had to go to NY on business (he said he saw you)

so I stayed with my parents last night so they could help me with the kids. Im sorry you are feeling bad at port sight. I am OK there but have had a sharp pain in my left shoulder on and off since surgery that is pretty bad. I hope it is normal. Let me know what happens if you talk to the docs.

Hi Peggy's and Allison hope you are doing well !!!!

Alli, Paige, Deb, and Peggy from Florida.....sounds like we're all doing about the same. I went back to work today and my shoulder pains were pretty bad most of the day....lucky me. Otherwise doing very well. Not hungry at all.

I don't drink juice, so Dr. Miranda had me start the liquid yogurt drink on day 4. It's going down pretty well. Plan to start regular yogurt on day 8. I had a dream last night about refried beans and melted cheese...another two weeks!

Good luck to all on the journey.

Peggy from San Diego

[quote

Lapoli, I was still at the clinic whenI saw you post op up and walking around just a very short while after surgery... goood for you.

Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Peggy form Florida...

Yeah, Dr. Ortiz seemed pretty shocked to see me up and walking around :blink: .

He actually gave me a hug :rolleyes: and told me "I just finished your surgery" and was

very happy to see the effort.

Walking definatly helped with the gas. and that's all I could think about.

I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow...I think I've lost around 10lbs, but won't know

for sure til' tomorrow.

Hope your doing great!!