Low BMI Patients

I'm not sure how much this post refers to low bmi but I was a lower bmi patient - started at 5'2 and 183 lbs and Ive found living with the lapband much harder than the surgery portion of the process - and I was only concerned about the surgery pre band and didn't think much about post band - i know kinda dumb, but everyone I talked to made it sound like a piece of cake - however that being said, I am learning how to be a natural eater and that is something I always wanted to be. Lower bmi folks tend to lose weight slower and i'm even ok with that. my guy says so what if you only lose 25lbs the firsst year - that's terrific and it's 25 you didn't gain AND you are eating healthier, slower and normal size amounts. So there for now! b

I'm not sure how much this post refers to low bmi but I was a lower bmi patient - started at 5'2 and 183 lbs and Ive found living with the lapband much harder than the surgery portion of the process - and I was only concerned about the surgery pre band and didn't think much about post band - i know kinda dumb, but everyone I talked to made it sound like a piece of cake - however that being said, I am learning how to be a natural eater and that is something I always wanted to be. Lower bmi folks tend to lose weight slower and i'm even ok with that. my guy says so what if you only lose 25lbs the firsst year - that's terrific and it's 25 you didn't gain AND you are eating healthier, slower and normal size amounts. So there for now! b

Hi Mary,

I'm new to the forum, and have scheduled surgery for 8/23/06. My MBI is lower. It is 30.6. When was your surgery? and what have you experienced since?

Beth

Hi beth,

We may get to meet - right now i am planning to stay at the lucerne on the 22 of august and get a fill on the 23rd - will you be at the lucerne the night before? If so, let's plan on dinner together if you want. Write me at thefacilitator@hotmail.com if you want (or here).

Ok what I've experienced is the surgery was pretty easy - much easier than i thought and it was my #concern. I didn't think much about living with the lapband and thought that woulld be easy.. What I've found is lots of challenges and the realization that the band is a tool not a miracle cure. Yep, you've heard it but it's important to process that and really think about that because it is not a miracle. Many people lose weight quickly but lower bmi folks tend to lose it slower (we have less to lose).

Also, I NEVER could figure out why i was fat and now i know - all of your bad habits eating and around food will come to a head with the band. No more pigging out or eating mindlessly - or you will suffer the consequences. You also have to make sure once you are healed that you have a proper fill level which is a bit of science and luck but you have to stick with it so you have the right restriction - not too much or too little. You still have to exercise and watch what you eat - not only to get in the right amount of protein but to avoid liquid calories.

I am very glad I got the band and hope to keep it for life and even wish i had done it when i was younger. I've yo yo'd dieted my whole life always struggling. I'm 5'2 and have been 245lbs and as teeny as 120lbs. I checked into surgery in the states and was told to gain 140lbs - a suggestion that is medically irresponsible and ridiculous. That's why I like the mexican docs - they realize - esp Ortiz - that the issues surrounding obese people with 60lbs or so to lose are pretty similar to people who need to lose 200+ (granted there are some differences) but you can get the surgery in Mexico without gaining 100+ lbs.

I've had some strugles but I have many bandster friends, am active on many boards, and seek help when I need it. I honestly thought I would have all my weight off by now (I want to lose 50-60lbs total) and I've lost about 18 since my first fill in January. I'm glad I didn't tell many people because I don't want the scruitiny of people watching and judging me. My boyfriend keeps telling me - if you only lose 20-25lbs in a year, that's terrific. He constantly reminds me this is a lifelong process and to keep that perspective.

My goal is to be a healthy normal weight and keep it off for 3 years - then I will feel successful cuz it is somethin I've never been able to do. I also want to be a a normal eater which is (to me) someone who eats when hungry, stops when full and eats a wide range of foods.

I don't want to be one of those bandsters that is so tight they can barely get a cup of food at dinner down - that's not the way the band was meant to work tho i know many who LOVE being like that.

Well, this is getting so long so I'll close - feel free to write me privately as I'd love to meet ya in Mexico. Try not to worry - Dr. Ortiz and his entire staff are beyond awesome, you are in the best of hands. Mary

Hi beth,

We may get to meet - right now i am planning to stay at the lucerne on the 22 of august and get a fill on the 23rd - will you be at the lucerne the night before? If so, let's plan on dinner together if you want. Write me at thefacilitator@hotmail.com if you want (or here).

Ok what I've experienced is the surgery was pretty easy - much easier than i thought and it was my #concern. I didn't think much about living with the lapband and thought that woulld be easy.. What I've found is lots of challenges and the realization that the band is a tool not a miracle cure. Yep, you've heard it but it's important to process that and really think about that because it is not a miracle. Many people lose weight quickly but lower bmi folks tend to lose it slower (we have less to lose).

Also, I NEVER could figure out why i was fat and now i know - all of your bad habits eating and around food will come to a head with the band. No more pigging out or eating mindlessly - or you will suffer the consequences. You also have to make sure once you are healed that you have a proper fill level which is a bit of science and luck but you have to stick with it so you have the right restriction - not too much or too little. You still have to exercise and watch what you eat - not only to get in the right amount of protein but to avoid liquid calories.

I am very glad I got the band and hope to keep it for life and even wish i had done it when i was younger. I've yo yo'd dieted my whole life always struggling. I'm 5'2 and have been 245lbs and as teeny as 120lbs. I checked into surgery in the states and was told to gain 140lbs - a suggestion that is medically irresponsible and ridiculous. That's why I like the mexican docs - they realize - esp Ortiz - that the issues surrounding obese people with 60lbs or so to lose are pretty similar to people who need to lose 200+ (granted there are some differences) but you can get the surgery in Mexico without gaining 100+ lbs.

I've had some strugles but I have many bandster friends, am active on many boards, and seek help when I need it. I honestly thought I would have all my weight off by now (I want to lose 50-60lbs total) and I've lost about 18 since my first fill in January. I'm glad I didn't tell many people because I don't want the scruitiny of people watching and judging me. My boyfriend keeps telling me - if you only lose 20-25lbs in a year, that's terrific. He constantly reminds me this is a lifelong process and to keep that perspective.

My goal is to be a healthy normal weight and keep it off for 3 years - then I will feel successful cuz it is somethin I've never been able to do. I also want to be a a normal eater which is (to me) someone who eats when hungry, stops when full and eats a wide range of foods.

I don't want to be one of those bandsters that is so tight they can barely get a cup of food at dinner down - that's not the way the band was meant to work tho i know many who LOVE being like that.

Well, this is getting so long so I'll close - feel free to write me privately as I'd love to meet ya in Mexico. Try not to worry - Dr. Ortiz and his entire staff are beyond awesome, you are in the best of hands. Mary

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for responding. If you have lost 18 lbs that is about 1/3 of the 60 lbs. you want to lose. That is AWESOME!!!

I would love to meet with you in mx. My surgery date is the 23rd. Nervous, scared, insecure, but my husband is a great support. He will be with me.

There have been alot of people viewing this post and I'm sure they don't understand why at 30.6 bmi I am wanting the band, but if they knew my family (300 to 700 lbs.) they would understand. I have steadily gained weight since I turned 40 and now I am 51 lbs. overweight.

Have you had any pbing? or slime (sounds gross). Was there much pain after the surgery?

I wish you the best on your first fill.

Beth

THANKS FOR POSTING MARY, VERY INFORMATIVE!!!

I'M ALSO A LOWER BMI, 5' 3" 183 lbs.

RE: I don't want to be one of those bandsters that is so tight they can barely get a cup of food at dinner down - that's not the way the band was meant to work

BINGO!!! YOU REALLY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD HERE. I GET BANDED THIS NEXT WEEK, IT JUST SEEMS TO ME AFTER READING SO MUCH THE LAST 6 MONTHS, PEOPLE USE THE BAND AS A SURGERY INDUCED TYPE BULIMIA, THAT'S NOT THE WAY I WANT TO LIVE!!!

THANKS FOR POSTING MARY, VERY INFORMATIVE!!!

I'M ALSO A LOWER BMI, 5' 3" 183 lbs.

RE: I don't want to be one of those bandsters that is so tight they can barely get a cup of food at dinner down - that's not the way the band was meant to work

BINGO!!! YOU REALLY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD HERE. I GET BANDED THIS NEXT WEEK, IT JUST SEEMS TO ME AFTER READING SO MUCH THE LAST 6 MONTHS, PEOPLE USE THE BAND AS A SURGERY INDUCED TYPE BULIMIA, THAT'S NOT THE WAY I WANT TO LIVE!!!

Pammie,

Where do you live in washington? I believe I read one of your post on another place.

bethy

Hi Beth and Pammy - Wow, we are really similar.

Pammy - I am 5'2 and was 183 pre surgery although I lost to 179 day of - total nerves. Gained to 177 before my first fill - here are my stats

183/179 day of surgery

Surgery 11.18.05 (Dr. Ortiz)

1st Fill 1/14/06 (2.3cc's)

2nd Fill 6/27/06 (lost .1 to 2.2 filled to 2.6) and I am feeling it!

Unfill on 7/13/06 (1.8) My own dumb fault!

I am going for my next fill on August 23. I was 160 at my unfill (primarily from not eating for two days but have been stuck at 164-166 as of today).

But to answer Beth's question - oh yes I have pb'd a lot - i'm sure more than most and less than some I know. As I've mentioned I am a hard head and have a lot of bad habits that I am still learning to break. The band is also fickle and some days some foods will work and other times they won't.

The surgery was all I was worried about and thought that the living with the lapband was the easy part - it is just the opposite, in my opinion.

I recovered pretty quickly, was sore and tired for a while but minimally so. My port site is still somewhat sensitive but after 4-5 months I was sleeping on my port side. I still don't like too much pressure on that area but I barely notice it most of the times. I had bad gas pains in my back left shoulder on and off for months - gasx helped a little but my guy ended up rubbing, patting and gently shaking me and i would burp and pass gas like mad and that helped. I also walked as they say but that never seemed to move it either.

Learning to eat slow and chew well have proven harder to me. I have to always be conscious of this when I eat as it is not automatic for me. I use tiny plates, small silverware or chopsticks and have to force myself to put my fork down between bites. I used to take huge bites and try to segregate my swallows but all you have to do is forget and swallow one huge bite and you will pay.

Yes, I've pb'd and it's not pleasent and the last time it caused me to have to get an unfill. I tried to eat a small piece of sushi at 9:30 in the morning and it stuck. Then I tried to get maalox down several hours later and couldn't even get liquid down. Heartburn followed the next day and I had to fly emergency to Ortiz for an unfill. Very unpleasant and expensive!

In the beginning I got some food stuck and never threw up - it would stick there and hurt and eventually go through - a fellow bandster said - oh just wait, in some ways it's better for it to come up. Then it came up - I can ususally tell it will come up if you start having saliva in your mouth and have to spit that out. Then soon, the food chunk comes up and this is usually with or followed by very thick saliva. Then it's over but I'm sore in the chest. I don't eat afterwards for 24 hours, drink liquids carefully after the pain subsides and take maalox every few hours. You want to avoid this at all costs but it is a learning process.

I get frustrated with losing weight so slowly BUT I try to keep the long term perspective and remember that I do like to eat. I've said it before but I want to enjoy food - just the right food and in much smaller quanttities so I have to accept my slower progress. I've said if I only get 25 off in the first year I will be happy and by the end of next year I will almost be at goal. the lapband is teaching me new healthier ways to eat - I don't pig out, binge eat or get up in the night and snack. I vey rarely snack or eat standing up and it takes me about 20 minutes per meal to finish - it used to take about 4-5 minutes and my definition of full was stuffed just short of thanksgiving stuffed.

Now I try to stop when I am satisfied - still bit of a challenge but i'm learning.

BEST of luck Pammy - try not to be too nervous you are in very good hands and keep in touch. Mary

Hi Beth and Pammy - Wow, we are really similar.

Pammy - I am 5'2 and was 183 pre surgery although I lost to 179 day of - total nerves. Gained to 177 before my first fill - here are my stats

183/179 day of surgery

Surgery 11.18.05 (Dr. Ortiz)

1st Fill 1/14/06 (2.3cc's)

2nd Fill 6/27/06 (lost .1 to 2.2 filled to 2.6) and I am feeling it!

Unfill on 7/13/06 (1.8) My own dumb fault!

I am going for my next fill on August 23. I was 160 at my unfill (primarily from not eating for two days but have been stuck at 164-166 as of today).

But to answer Beth's question - oh yes I have pb'd a lot - i'm sure more than most and less than some I know. As I've mentioned I am a hard head and have a lot of bad habits that I am still learning to break. The band is also fickle and some days some foods will work and other times they won't.

The surgery was all I was worried about and thought that the living with the lapband was the easy part - it is just the opposite, in my opinion.

Mary,

Why do you say it was your own fault for having the unfill? Was it to soon?

I recovered pretty quickly, was sore and tired for a while but minimally so. My port site is still somewhat sensitive but after 4-5 months I was sleeping on my port side. I still don't like too much pressure on that area but I barely notice it most of the times. I had bad gas pains in my back left shoulder on and off for months - gasx helped a little but my guy ended up rubbing, patting and gently shaking me and i would burp and pass gas like mad and that helped. I also walked as they say but that never seemed to move it either.

Learning to eat slow and chew well have proven harder to me. I have to always be conscious of this when I eat as it is not automatic for me. I use tiny plates, small silverware or chopsticks and have to force myself to put my fork down between bites. I used to take huge bites and try to segregate my swallows but all you have to do is forget and swallow one huge bite and you will pay.

Yes, I've pb'd and it's not pleasent and the last time it caused me to have to get an unfill. I tried to eat a small piece of sushi at 9:30 in the morning and it stuck. Then I tried to get maalox down several hours later and couldn't even get liquid down. Heartburn followed the next day and I had to fly emergency to Ortiz for an unfill. Very unpleasant and expensive!

In the beginning I got some food stuck and never threw up - it would stick there and hurt and eventually go through - a fellow bandster said - oh just wait, in some ways it's better for it to come up. Then it came up - I can ususally tell it will come up if you start having saliva in your mouth and have to spit that out. Then soon, the food chunk comes up and this is usually with or followed by very thick saliva. Then it's over but I'm sore in the chest. I don't eat afterwards for 24 hours, drink liquids carefully after the pain subsides and take maalox every few hours. You want to avoid this at all costs but it is a learning process.

I get frustrated with losing weight so slowly BUT I try to keep the long term perspective and remember that I do like to eat. I've said it before but I want to enjoy food - just the right food and in much smaller quanttities so I have to accept my slower progress. I've said if I only get 25 off in the first year I will be happy and by the end of next year I will almost be at goal. the lapband is teaching me new healthier ways to eat - I don't pig out, binge eat or get up in the night and snack. I vey rarely snack or eat standing up and it takes me about 20 minutes per meal to finish - it used to take about 4-5 minutes and my definition of full was stuffed just short of thanksgiving stuffed.

Now I try to stop when I am satisfied - still bit of a challenge but i'm learning.

BEST of luck Pammy - try not to be too nervous you are in very good hands and keep in touch. Mary

Hi Mary,

Why did you say that it was your own fault for having the unfill? Did you eat to much too soon? please explain.

As far as the unfill, what was the cost excluding airfare?

Beth

Beth,

I say it was my own fault cuz I knew I was extra tight in the morning and I went to work and a co worker left me some sushi and i ate one at around 9:30 in the morning. I ate half and it went down so i crammed the other half in and didn't chew it good enough. That started me pb'ing and i threw up several times and was very sore. Normally that would be one incident and it would be over but I think i jus swelled up really bad. I tried to do a spoonor two of maalox around noon but that came up - so all that throwing up just wasn't good. I guess I say it was my fault cuz I shouldn't have tried that food so early in the morning, etc. I tend to beat myself up for everything! The cost was 100 for the un fill and 130 for transportation. What really killed me was i had to take a first class one way flight on delta and it was 664.00. I was so mad cuz everyone was eating and drinking and i couldn't even keep a lifesaver down. Then I thought I could get home that night but ended up paying for a hotel and cab back and forth - all in all it was 1000! you better believe I will be much more careful in the future. Please don't let this scare you - it is pretty rare. Just my dumb luck

Beth,

I say it was my own fault cuz I knew I was extra tight in the morning and I went to work and a co worker left me some sushi and i ate one at around 9:30 in the morning. I ate half and it went down so i crammed the other half in and didn't chew it good enough. That started me pb'ing and i threw up several times and was very sore. Normally that would be one incident and it would be over but I think i jus swelled up really bad. I tried to do a spoonor two of maalox around noon but that came up - so all that throwing up just wasn't good. I guess I say it was my fault cuz I shouldn't have tried that food so early in the morning, etc. I tend to beat myself up for everything! The cost was 100 for the un fill and 130 for transportation. What really killed me was i had to take a first class one way flight on delta and it was 664.00. I was so mad cuz everyone was eating and drinking and i couldn't even keep a lifesaver down. Then I thought I could get home that night but ended up paying for a hotel and cab back and forth - all in all it was 1000! you better believe I will be much more careful in the future. Please don't let this scare you - it is pretty rare. Just my dumb luck

Mary,

What a bummer, first class and you didn't get to enjoy the full service. I will take your comments to heart and try to learn from them. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Beth

WHERE ARE YOU FROM MARY?

Hey Pammie,

When do you fly out to San Diego? I believe you stated your friend is going to have surgery too? Does she know about the forum?

I haven't spoken with the nutritionist yet, but did she have you do the pre-op diet?

Beth

EVENING BETHY,

NO I HAVEN'T DONE A PRE OP DIET, I NEVER DID TALK TO THE NUTRITIONIST BUT I DID TALK TO CAROLYNN ABOUT IT. MY GIRLFRIEND IS DOING PART OF A DIET. I'M JUST MAKING SURE I DON'T GAIN ANY WEIGHT AND THAT I DON'T PICK UP A SMOKE LOL. :blink:

I'LL TAKE A LOOK AT THE FLIGHTS FOR TOMORROW EVENING BUT LAST TIME I CHECKED, THERE WAS A FLIGHT OPEN FOR WEDNESDAY MORNING THAT I'LL TRY AND CATCH. I EMAILED THE CLINIC AND TOLD THEM I'D MEET THE DRIVER ALONG WITH MY GIRLFRIEND IN BAGGAGE CLAIM AT 10:50 WEDNESDAY MORNING. I'M FAIRLY FAMILIAR WITH THE AIRPORT, WE WERE DOWN THERE 2 YEARS AGO FOR TWO WEEKS FOR MY SONS BASEBALL TOURNAMENT.

SANDY HATES THE PUTER BUT I TALK TO HER ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING ON THE BOARDS. MAYBE WHEN SHE GETS BACK SHE'LL JOIN US HERE

Hi to all low bmi friends. I love that you all share you experiences it has helped me understand my struggle. I have more support on this forum than my Dr. Thanks to all in advance!

I also have the same experience. My surgery was 3/28/06 and have had 2 fills in TJ. Started at 155lbs and I have lost about 20lbs slowly but I can sure see my clothes sizes go down. I have gone from a 10 to a 3-4. My first fill was not enough and boy my second has been just tight enough. I hope I have hit the sweet spot. I don't believe I could handle another fill. I get very frustrated at times because I want to see numbers off the scale but I'm okay with the sizes and complements. My goal is 105lbs due to my height 4.10. I am still having problems with not drinking even a sip during or right after a meal. Good luck to you who are having/had surgery recently and lets keep posted on our experiences which are awsome. :rolleyes:

Hi to all low bmi friends. I love that you all share you experiences it has helped me understand my struggle. I have more support on this forum than my Dr. Thanks to all in advance!

I also have the same experience. My surgery was 3/28/06 and have had 2 fills in TJ. Started at 155lbs and I have lost about 20lbs slowly but I can sure see my clothes sizes go down. I have gone from a 10 to a 3-4. My first fill was not enough and boy my second has been just tight enough. I hope I have hit the sweet spot. I don't believe I could handle another fill. I get very frustrated at times because I want to see numbers off the scale but I'm okay with the sizes and complements. My goal is 105lbs due to my height 4.10. I am still having problems with not drinking even a sip during or right after a meal. Good luck to you who are having/had surgery recently and lets keep posted on our experiences which are awsome. :rolleyes:

Friend,

Wow! 20lbs since 3/28/06 is GREAT!!! Slow is good if you really want to keep the weight off permenantly.

Have you had any difficulties with surgery or after. I know the weight is coming off slowly, but that is not always a bad thing.

Are 3 meals a day enough? Not being able to drink at meals must be hard if you are use to that. Is it hard to drink enough water throughout the day? I'm use to drinking a 20 oz bottle of water in about 20 minutes. I'm a bit concerned that this will be a problem for me.

Best wished as you continue your journey!

Beth

Friend,

Wow! 20lbs since 3/28/06 is GREAT!!! Slow is good if you really want to keep the weight off permenantly.

Have you had any difficulties with surgery or after. I know the weight is coming off slowly, but that is not always a bad thing.

Are 3 meals a day enough? Not being able to drink at meals must be hard if you are use to that. Is it hard to drink enough water throughout the day? I'm use to drinking a 20 oz bottle of water in about 20 minutes. I'm a bit concerned that this will be a problem for me.

Best wished as you continue your journey!

Beth

Hi Beth, there are times I do not eat the three meals because you are not hungry. I don't always get 64oz of water a day but I do stay off of carbonated drinks. Only one day did I have 1/2 bottle of beer. Boy that did not feel good though too much gas that you have to drink in tiny sips and it is not good tasting after it ends up hot. Drinking water is not the problem what you will learn is that you will drink it in small amounts which will take you longer finish. My best wishes to you Beth on your journey and keep us posted.

Beth, Pammie, Mary best wishes on your surgery date, prayers will be with you! Don't worry it will be a piece of cake and a start to a new you. Keep us posted on you experiences.

THE WEATHER IS FAB DOWN HERE. MET SEVERAL OTHER GALS HAVING SURGEY ALSO TOMORROW. WE WENT THRU ALL THE PAPERWORK AND PRE OP TESTING. THE DRIVER WILL BE HERE AT THE HOTEL LOBBY AT 8 TO PICK US UP, EEEEEECK LOL

ANN, WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE CLINIC, I SHOULD BE IN THE BACK ROOM RECOUPING. JUST ASK TO SEE ME AND I{LL TELL THEM YOU{LL BE ASKING

THIS PUTER SUCKS LOL AT THE HOTEL BUT HOTEL ITSELF IS VERY NICE. I JUST WISH I WOULDV{E BROGHT MY SUIT FOR THE POOL :D

THE WEATHER IS FAB DOWN HERE. MET SEVERAL OTHER GALS HAVING SURGEY ALSO TOMORROW. WE WENT THRU ALL THE PAPERWORK AND PRE OP TESTING. THE DRIVER WILL BE HERE AT THE HOTEL LOBBY AT 8 TO PICK US UP, EEEEEECK LOL

ANN, WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE CLINIC, I SHOULD BE IN THE BACK ROOM RECOUPING. JUST ASK TO SEE ME AND I{LL TELL THEM YOU{LL BE ASKING

THIS PUTER SUCKS LOL AT THE HOTEL BUT HOTEL ITSELF IS VERY NICE. I JUST WISH I WOULDV{E BROGHT MY SUIT FOR THE POOL :D

Pammie,

I hope your feeling well today (Thursday). Looking forward to hearing how things have gone for you.

Beth

Pammie,

so excited for you [ hope you are feeling pretty good - and cant wait to hear how you are doing, etc. I'm definitely bringing a swimsuit as I'll have an entire day at the hotel before my fill. Congratulations and welcome to bandlandia!!! mary

Pammie,

so excited for you [ hope you are feeling pretty good - and cant wait to hear how you are doing, etc. I'm definitely bringing a swimsuit as I'll have an entire day at the hotel before my fill. Congratulations and welcome to bandlandia!!! mary

Mary and Friend,

After surgery were you bloated? If so for how long? I have so much scheduled for after surgery I haven't thought much about this. Know I am a little concerned. I'm not sure if my clothes will fit me still.

Beth

Beth,

No i wasn't bloated - my pants fit the same as before (tight ha) and i didn't zip them all the way or button them cuz of the port tenderness - i would definitely wear elastic or tie waistband pants or low risers. I did have pretty horrendous gas pains but they were intermittent and tolerable although on the plane ride home i was super hurting.

Mary and Friend,

After surgery were you bloated? If so for how long? I have so much scheduled for after surgery I haven't thought much about this. Know I am a little concerned. I'm not sure if my clothes will fit me still.

Beth