Bandsters with a starting BMI around 30 ... I need you!

I was glad to read everyone's responses. I don't know why I'm not being alerted (via email) that people are writing on this post. That used to happen; anyone know how I can get that back? Anyway, I'm glad I posted, I feel like we're all in this together. I am going to have the band this week. I wish all of us good luck in our respective journeys.

• 1 year later...

I decided to get the band when my bmi was 30. It was 31 on my operation date. I'm 15days out and I've lost 13.4 lbs. So far I'm happy about my decision. It is hard to find low bmi bandsters to talk to so feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or just want to chat. When is your surgery date? What are you stats? I'm 5'6" and on the day of surgery I was 194.6lbs and today I weighed in at 181.2. I'm ready to end the 21 day liquid diet and eager for my first fill. Good luck.

I also started with what's considered a lower bmi, but honestly - I didn't want to struggle with my weight for the rest of my life and I needed some help with it.

The weight has come off slowly since I was banded in March but I'm happy with the amount I've lost in the last almost 4 months. Bottom line is that I wasn't able to do it

without the band and I haven't gained any weight back since being banded, so what's the harm in it?

I don't care if people think I'm cheating or not "fat enough" to get the lapband. I think it's ridiculous that you have to be morbidly obese to qualify for it in the states. Who wants to wait until the health

complications are so severe to stop a problem from escalating. I think that's a huge problem with our medical field here in the states. Waiting too long and then - trying to fix what could have been avoided in the first place.

I say good for you, the lapband isn't an easy way to go - but I'm still happy I have it and I still feel like I made the right decision.

Even for my mental health - i'm no longer consumed with thoughts of food all the time an that's been the biggest change overall.