How much Protein is too much Protein?

OK... I've hit a plateau. I go up 2 lbs, down 2 lbs. I'm not eating like I use to and yes I'm drinking lots of water. I go to the gym about 2-3 times per week. I've read from some folks that a plateau is bound to happen, so I'm not surprised, but I also read where some people say to increase your calories (some days I know I don't hit 1200) and try to increase your protein.

I stopped at GNC tonight to see about getting a higher protein drink. Isopure has 50 g of protein per serving. They were ridiculously expensive for the 3 lb container. However I found a Whey protein single serving packet that is the equivalent of 3 scoops for that single serving, is 330 calories w/water and has 60 g of protein. The guy who came to assist me tried to tell me that when he uses this particular brand, he only uses about 1-2 scoops simply because our bodies cannot handle or absorb the full 60 g of protein, and that 30 g is more realistic. I'd like to think the health stores have people working in there who know their stuff. Can this be true? I know TOO much protein is not good for the kidneys, but he made it sound like it wouldn't matter how much protein I take in, the body is only going to "acknowledge" so much of it. I'm trying to up my protein in the hopes it will help speed up the weight loss and 4 oz of chicken or fish just doesn't have enough. I'm having my second fill this Thursday and can't wait. Some days if I allow myself I can eat alot. Other days a few pieces of chicken breast will have me PBing.

Barb

Guest sdejong

I specifically asked Dr. Miranda this same question because I was worried about loosing my hair.... She laughed and explained that we tend to take in too much protien... She said that if you take in more than 15-20 Grams of protien at one time your body can't do anything with it. She said that 30-40 Grams of protein per day was more than enough. She also said that people in the US don't need to worry about loosing their hair because of lack of protein, instead it is lack of zinc an iron. That is why we need our vitamins. I hope this is somewhat helpful...

shy

OK... I've hit a plateau. I go up 2 lbs, down 2 lbs. I'm not eating like I use to and yes I'm drinking lots of water. I go to the gym about 2-3 times per week. I've read from some folks that a plateau is bound to happen, so I'm not surprised, but I also read where some people say to increase your calories (some days I know I don't hit 1200) and try to increase your protein.

I stopped at GNC tonight to see about getting a higher protein drink. Isopure has 50 g of protein per serving. They were ridiculously expensive for the 3 lb container. However I found a Whey protein single serving packet that is the equivalent of 3 scoops for that single serving, is 330 calories w/water and has 60 g of protein. The guy who came to assist me tried to tell me that when he uses this particular brand, he only uses about 1-2 scoops simply because our bodies cannot handle or absorb the full 60 g of protein, and that 30 g is more realistic. I'd like to think the health stores have people working in there who know their stuff. Can this be true? I know TOO much protein is not good for the kidneys, but he made it sound like it wouldn't matter how much protein I take in, the body is only going to "acknowledge" so much of it. I'm trying to up my protein in the hopes it will help speed up the weight loss and 4 oz of chicken or fish just doesn't have enough. I'm having my second fill this Thursday and can't wait. Some days if I allow myself I can eat alot. Other days a few pieces of chicken breast will have me PBing.

Barb

I have read the same thing about protein. I believe anything more than 20-30 grams in one setting is about as much as your body can metabolize. My dietician told me to focus on getting protein from every meal and having it add up to 65 - 80 grams per day. With that said, you shouldn't eliminate carbohydrates from your body altogether because that is when the kidneys are hit the hardest. I am still on the mushy stage, post op, and I am supplementing my diet with the protein bullets; they have 42 grams of protein, but I split it in 1/2 and have 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. I use the Isopure drinks as well (I like the apple melon) and I do the same with those as well. The last 3 days I have been averaging around 750 - 800 calories and have hit 70 grams of protein all three days. I feel that is pretty good considering I was only getting 400 calories per day right after my surgery. Needless to say, I am feeling stronger with the additional calories. I am not sure yet though how it is affecting my weight because I am not weighing until next week when I have my 3 week follow up with my dr. I hope I am losing, but I am trying to not set myself up for disapointent.

Good luck with your diet. It looks like you have done really well!

:)

It actually depends on the type of protein, your size, your activity level. Many things will determine how much protein you need. In addition there are constant studies and finding that will dispute a past one – this is what makes my life miserable.

I look out my office door to a group of Nutritionist and Dietitians and people who study and specialize in the field of supplementation (who work for me in one line of business) and work with some of the best docs in the country. (ones who do many of the studies) And to be honest, I take everything with a grain of salt. (Hmmmm, my team could never help me loose the weight but the lap band did)!!

I can tell you I've hit plateaus and taken the isopure in the morning for breakfast with all of its 50 grams of whey protein and kicked the plateau in the arse. (Sometimes I swear its mental).

For me it’s what works, each person needs to do what each of you have done, ask the right questions, and find good sources. If it works for you, great - if it doesn't keep searching - we're all different.

Here's a protein calculator that should help answer your question:

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

WOW! That is so cool Lisa! Thank you! It said I need between 75-83 grams of protein a day. Yikes! Well, good to know then. ;) I thought I was only supposed to have like 30-60. No wonder my weight loss has come to a screeching halt. LOL

Judy